WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this rummaging through inherited stuff. Quick glance on eBay suggests it is worthless other than sentimental reasons - which are none.

Anyone seen one of these before? Any advice or insight?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pontifa was founded in 1850 and made mostly wristwatches, clocks and some quartzies in 1970-80's. After that they re-focused to make mainly mechanical pocket watches, wrist watches, travel alarm clocks, dashboard clocks, 8-day clocks/alarm clocks. It think they are still in business today.

Without seeing the works I'll take a guess that the watch contains the following movement:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1931

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ah, the good old travellers alarm clock. Does it still run after winding? Like you saidnotmuchvalue but some of us out here still love them and buy them. I pick up a similar model last year fof $15. Just needed a replacement main spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, the good old travellers alarm clock. Does it still run after winding? Like you saidnotmuchvalue but some of us out here still love them and buy them. I pick up a similar model last year fof $15. Just needed a replacement main spring.

It does not work. Should I just sell it for whatever someone will pay to buy and restore it? I guess I could get a quote from a watch maker to get it going again. But I can’t imagine ever putting it to good use.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It does not work. Should I just sell it for whatever someone will pay to buy and restore it? I guess I could get a quote from a watch maker to get it going again. But I can’t imagine ever putting it to good use.
If you don't regularly find and repair items like this you will be better off just listing as is and get whatever you can.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,023 Posts
Pontifa was founded in 1850 and made mostly wristwatches, clocks and some quartzies in 1970-80's. After that they re-focused to make mainly mechanical pocket watches, wrist watches, travel alarm clocks, dashboard clocks, 8-day clocks/alarm clocks. It think they are still in business today.

Without seeing the works I'll take a guess that the watch contains the following movement:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1931
Personally, I think that the two crowns are too close together for an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1931 (quite apart from the fact that the AS 1931 has a date feature - you are probably thinking of the AS 1475 or AS 1930). Two wrist alarm movements with such close proximity of the two crowns were the Pierce Cal. 135:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Pierce 135

...and the Venus Cal. 230 (with alarm on/off indication) and Cal. 232 (with date):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Venus 230

Since I can't find a link between Pontifa and Pierce, I suspect it's a Venus Cal. 230 minus alarm indication (which requires a hole in the dial - they probably just left it out).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
725 Posts
Personally, I think that the two crowns are too close together for an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1931 (quite apart from the fact that the AS 1931 has a date feature - you are probably thinking of the AS 1475 or AS 1930). Two wrist alarm movements with such close proximity of the two crowns were the Pierce Cal. 135:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Pierce 135

...and the Venus Cal. 230 (with alarm on/off indication) and Cal. 232 (with date):

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Venus 230

Since I can't find a link between Pontifa and Pierce, I suspect it's a Venus Cal. 230 minus alarm indication (which requires a hole in the dial - they probably just left it out).

Hartmut Richter
Hi Hartmut,
You're probably right. What made me believe it was an AS was the following Pontifa mini alarm clock (movement of which is attached) I found on the net albeit this one has a different shape:
miniature Pontifa alarm clock.JPG

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts