WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger on this Zim described as '1950' vintage last night.

I broke a few rules for buying on eBay: seller had few feedbacks, I don't know the market well enough yet, I didn't check here first, the list goes on...

On the other hand, I satisfied myself via The Metatechnical Cabinet and Mark Gordon's site that the movement is a Zim/Probeda 2602.

However, the seller, who claimed to be a watchmaker with 30 years' experience gave the jewel count as 18, when it's pretty easy to verify the number is actually 15.

So, if the watch originally came with a 2602 movement, and that's what it has, is there any way to verify that it's the original one?

Even if not, for twenty bucks shipped from Bulgaria to California I was willing to take a flier.

Worse comes to worse, I might just display it with the case open. I like the look of the rubies.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
As far as I know, all ZIM-built Pobeda movements have 15 jewels. The earlier ones are finished nicer with geneva stripes, a little later on, ZIM used highly automated machines for making the parts, so the movements look quite unadorned, like the one you have. Since Pobeda movements are pretty much cross compatible between the specimens built by all the makers it is actually possible - even easy - to transplant movements. I have a feeling that the movement in your watch is newer than the case.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
As far as I know, all ZIM-built Pobeda movements have 15 jewels. The earlier ones are finished nicer with geneva stripes, a little later on, ZIM used highly automated machines for making the parts, so the movements look quite unadorned, like the one you have. Since Pobeda movements are pretty much cross compatible between the specimens built by all the makers it is actually possible - even easy - to transplant movements. I have a feeling that the movement in your watch is newer than the case.
Agree. ;-)
When it arrives, HeyWhatTime, you must look under the balance, where the logo of the producer should appear. I'm quite sure it's Zim, but... in russian watches one never knows :-d

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Agree. ;-)
When it arrives, HeyWhatTime, you must look under the balance, where the logo of the producer should appear. I'm quite sure it's Zim, but... in russian watches one never knows :-d
Vaurien,

If I open one up and find a movement built by Pensa... jackpot! :-d

Still, for pure functionality it is not really that much of an issue though. In an earlier thread I mentioned one I noticed: later black-dial ZIM case, 1MWF movement with full geneva stripes, and a balance bearing assembly with shockproofing, probably by Vostok. In terms of usability it might even be better than a straight ZIM one.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Thanks gentlemen; when it arrives I'll have a look and see what I find.
If your two pictures are indeed the watch you are getting, then it is pretty much it: an earlier ZIM-signed case with a possibly later ZIM-built movement in original condition.

Just for academic interest, here are some modified Pobedas: see if you can pick up the obvious modifications... which can indeed be considered upgrades without looking absurd on the outside:

Same watch front and back:

Another: front and back:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
ZIM factory never made important changes during its production, and AFAIK many dials were produced for very long time.

That ZIM logo was still used at least until the early '80s (i.e. on 1980 Olympic models), and probably the "unadorned" movement was already in production.

Unfortunately, ZIM-Pobeda are a black hole (no catalogues, no consistent informations about the factory activity), so it's very hard to tell if the movement has been replaced or not.

It's also possible that the case is newer than it's content.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree. ;-)
'zim 2602'

in Cryillic, I haven't gotten the plugin yet to use those characters, I guess that's on the 'to do' list if this Russian watch fascination doesn't fade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts