WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this lovely looking watch from AliExpress. It consistently loses less than a second a day, which I can counteract by storing dial up overnight. I’m wondering how unusual this is? Have I just got lucky?
EFA0D41C-E715-4226-9AAC-9CF494E21311.jpeg
7EA1932C-56B7-4B7B-8ADA-50640C88BB54.jpeg

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Looks like a hangzhou movement instead of seagull. That is even a grade lower than seagull.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hangzhou - you can tell by the fact that it has two screws under the balance wheel instead of Sea-Gull's one :) - specifically it's the HZ9000.

I wouldn't necessarily rate them lower than Sea-Gull btw - (slight bias perhaps because I'm using the HZ5000A microrotor in our microbrand 😜 ) - but the general perception of quality (at least from what it looks like to me on these forums would be):
Beijing
Sea-Gull
Shanghai
Hangzhou
Liaoning
...and then others - but it depends on movement to movement too - the Sea-Gull version of the Unitas may have a swan neck regulator too and arrow shaped regulator rather than a straight one.

Hangzhou have been a pleasure to work with from personal experience.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
It was described as a 6497 movement on AliExpress. Same thing, or a dishonest seller?
A 6497 movement is a Swiss made ETA movement. If it's Chinese, a dishonest seller for sure. Could you believe it? A dishonest seller on AliExpress? ;) I believe everything on AliExpress is a Chinese knockoff, but you new that, right?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 6497 movement is a Swiss made ETA movement. If it's Chinese, a dishonest seller for sure. Could you believe it? A dishonest seller on AliExpress? ;) I believe everything on AliExpress is a Chinese knockoff, but you new that, right?
Of course I did. For a watch that I may never need to set, like, ever, I don’t really care! To be fair, it was described as a 6497 movement, not specifying Swiss or Asian, and it’s a lovely looking watch, so it’s all good! It won’t be my last AliExpress Parnis, or should that be “Parnis”?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No doubt there is a thread on here somewhere about how it’s actually possible, but I am genuinely highly surprised at the quality of the watch for £40 (sale price). It’s really, well, surprising!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seriously, if anybody can direct me to a thread about how cheap Chinese watch economics actually work, and can actually be viable, then I would be absolutely fascinated to read about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A Seiko NH35a costs $22 wholesale (at around 300 MOQ - if you order 30,000 or 3,000 I imagine the price can be squeezed down further - maybe 15?) - if you buy off the shelf pieces for $3-6 that gets you to $18-21 - add on postage fee (few cents for large volume package sending I believe) - probably 0 QC (i.e. you get luck of the draw) assembly costs of $5-10 - and it comes to maybe $35 - razor thin margins but if you are playing the volume game and selling enough then it could be viable...

And it's likely the Hangzhou 9000 (6497 clone) can probably be procured at a cheaper price than a Seiko NH35a too at volume. Could be that taxes may not be fully complied with too...

It's a hard game to play though - when margins are that tight. I prefer to spend the extra so I know that the person who is assembling the watch may possibly enjoy their work rather than absolutely not caring a jot about it and proper QC has been applied - I think once you hit around $75-100 you are starting to enter into "good" watch assembly territory 🙂

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Seriously, if anybody can direct me to a thread about how cheap Chinese watch economics actually work, and can actually be viable, then I would be absolutely fascinated to read about it. Thanks.
I many cases, I hear they take a loss in order to stamp out competition with the hope they will be the last man standing, and then make a profit.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,198 Posts
I many cases, I hear they take a loss in order to stamp out competition with the hope they will be the last man standing, and then make a profit.
Who in this instance is "they"? I'm not sure that any individual manufacturer has the market strength to make that strategy work, and I don't know of any evidence of collective action by the various unrelated Chinese mechanical movement manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
Who in this instance is "they"? I'm not sure that any individual manufacturer has the market strength to make that strategy work, and I don't know of any evidence of collective action by the various unrelated Chinese mechanical movement manufacturers.
I was speaking of other Chinese industries, like cell phones, and possibly it's true with watches as well.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,198 Posts
I was speaking of other Chinese industries, like cell phones, and possibly it's true with watches as well.
'Possibly', but it is worth remembering that we are talking about individual companies, not a government-run collective.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks, Seagullfan, that’s interesting.
No problems - it's similar (but not entirely comparable) to a friend of mine telling me about wines - that (in Ireland at least) you really should pay a little extra for the wine to get something above €10 a bottle - Irish taxes being what it is you're probably paying €8 in taxes on a €10 bottle so how can they make good wine for €2 a bottle (you may get lucky :D ) - if you go up to €12 you've doubled the amount you've actually spent on the wine production from 2 to 4 euro... all wasted on me as I don't drink - but I can imagine doubling the amount that is actually spent on the wine will (generally) lead to a better taste (when at this affordable end).

So it's comparative in the same sense that the base cost for the watch without stringent QC etc may be 35 - but if you spent 2x you should get more resources devoted to things that allow for a consistent product for all buyers i.e. if you buy 10 watches they should all run roughly the same for you - instead of your "lucky" freakly accurate watch :)

Btw - as for how it could be so accurate - without putting it on the timegrapher and seeing how it performs in different positions - it could be that you and your watch are super simpatico in how you wear/position your wrist during the day. Things like COSC or Grand Seiko positional variance standards try to guarantee that anyone wearing one of those watches get the stated accuracy range, no matter how it is worn. But hey if we need super accurate timekeeping devices - quartz or your mobile will do great too 😁 - but it is great to hear that you got a super accurate movement in your Parnis (y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts