WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2431710-18593655-thumbnail.jpg

Frederique Constant is one of those under-the-radar brands that does a lot of things right, including make their own movements for a small but growing percentage of their collection. You see, FC makes around 120,000 watches per year, approximately 8 percent of which hold their own, manufacture movement. That may not sound like that much, but that means Frederique Constant is producing around 9,600 watches each year with an in-house movement inside (or, for pure comparison of scale, about twice as many as A. Lange & Sohne makes per annum).

Just this past weekend in Las Vegas, we got the chance to see a watch that while officially introduced in the BaselWorld season, didn't get too much attention - and that is a shame because it is really worth a look (why it's here on HODINKEE today). The brand new Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture, as seen above in our hand and below on our wrist, is a 42mm beauty that houses a new variation of the existing Maxime movement, cal. FC-710 that features an added center seconds hand. But, not only is the watch really good looking, so is the movement. Did we mention it's their own movement? We did? Well, breathe that in for a minute. Now guess the price.

2431710-18593692-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-18594549-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-18594579-thumbnail.jpg

2431710-18594597-thumbnail.jpg

The FC-710 caliber features traditional Cotes de Geneve and Collimacon pattern finishing, and is plated in rhodium. The solid gold rotor provides nice contrast through the super wide open sapphire crystal caseback. The case on the Classics Manufacture is rather nice, and the dial traditional and formal without being too staid. In fact, the watch actually reminds us a little bit of Laurent Ferrier's Galet Classic on the wrist (no lie), though the movements are finished a little differently.

Still, this new FC is making a really compelling case for those looking for a classical watch in a modern but modest size, with a true in-house movement and don't want to spend $10,000+. So about the price? The Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture in steel will sell for $2250, and the same watch coated in rose gold will be $2550.

Original article: Hands-On With The Excellent Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture (Live Photos, Specs, & Official Pricing) - Watches Worth Knowing About - HODINKEE

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great article and pics of Hodinkee! Good article in "The Monsieur" as well! If I were looking for a dress watch with in-house movement the Frederique Constant Classics Manufacture in steel would be high on my list!

I´m thinking of buying the Alpina Extreme Sailing and I gotta say, it feels pretty cool to have the CEO on wus:)

·
Premium Member
8,418 Posts
At a local AD yesterday, I just started to discover the FC brand. They have only been carrying them for a short time.
Their quality, especially on the dial detail, is flawless.
The Classics Manufacture looks fantastic. There is nothing that I could fault about the looks, quality and finish. I have been looking for a gold watch for sometime, and it is fine being rose gold plated as well. As it is only the case, and not the wrist band that is plated, there is no reason one cannot get years of wear out of it.
Even with the steel case, the price is nothing short of amazing.
I was looking for a square or rectangular shaped watch. I have a Cartier Tank Solo in steel, and would like a similar style in gold. The Carree FC-235MC25 with a quartz movement is what really interested me. I love a smaller size watch when it comes to gold. The finishing on the watch is at least equal to the Cartier, at a fraction of the cost.
The article on Hondikee really got me interested in the Classics Manufacture - until I looked at the size. My wrist is 7.5in or about 19cm, but I still like a smaller watch. The current trend towards larger watches is having the opposite effect on me. Although I realize the size of the movement often dictates the size of the case, and I do love the idea of a manufacture movement, I would never consider a watch of this size - at 42mm - unless it's a sportier model. A pity, because it is nothing less than gorgeous.
It appears that the Carree model I looked at is being, or has been, discontinued. All the other models in the lineup are larger.
Nevertheless, I shall still watch the Frederique Constant lineup with great interest. Now may be the time to get one of these beauties, though, at such an exceptional value.
Cheers,
Carl

ps Pardon me for getting a bit off topic here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Coming in late, but I just discovered FC a while ago. I own the 4H4 gold and love it. Looks stunning on the wrist, with beautiful decoration. The classics look with Roman numerals can sometimes appear sort of bland, but this version has large enough numerals, and such precisely done and beautiful patterns that the dial really pops.

What FC would I want in the future? A simple, thin elegant version with a discrete power reserve indicator and a date plus moon phase.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
This is a great watch. I'm skeptical with rose gold plated. How would that hold up? Maybe FC should of used rose gold PVD.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I just started to discover the FC brand.
I'm researching the brand. Found this and wanted to post a question. I really like that Classics Manufacture at the top of thread posted by the OP-CEO. My question is, is it truly in-house? I was searching the website and it states that it is based of a SW300. I'm a little confused.

Frederique Constant – Geneve - WATCH CARE

·
Registered
723 Posts
I'm researching the brand. Found this and wanted to post a question. I really like that Classics Manufacture at the top of thread posted by the OP-CEO. My question is, is it truly in-house? I was searching the website and it states that it is based of a SW300. I'm a little confused.

Frederique Constant – Geneve - WATCH CARE
The FC-700 and 900 series movements are in-house. The FC-300 series movements are not and may be ETA or Sellita based. Anything with "Manufacture" in the name will be in-house. However, not everything is fabricated in-house, as FC still relies on suppliers for certain parts (much like the rest of the industry).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
Probably around 7-years ago I purchased a Frederique Constant watch in the Polanco district (the mall) of Mexico City. Without ever hearing of the brand at the time, I spent aruond $700 US and bought one on the spot- something I never did before, nor can I imagine doing again. Enjoyed the watch for some time, loved the dial and caseback. Nobody in Canada knew of the brand. Now they carry it at Birks, which is a major chain jeweler here. I don't know what they are worth or not worth, I liked the watch and found it classical and stylish; no longer do I have it though I would buy again if I got a decent enough deal to justify doing so.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The FC-700 and 900 series movements are in-house. The FC-300 series movements are not and may be ETA or Sellita based. Anything with "Manufacture" in the name will be in-house. However, not everything is fabricated in-house, as FC still relies on suppliers for certain parts (much like the rest of the industry).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still don't fully understand. How is an FC 710 different from a FC 300 is they are both SW# based. Isn't that the same thing other people do and call it XXX Engine or Caliber but it is really an ETA or SW with internal modifications?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I still don't fully understand. How is an FC 710 different from a FC 300 is they are both SW# based. Isn't that the same thing other people do and call it XXX Engine or Caliber but it is really an ETA or SW with internal modifications?
I just saw why you're confused on that page, I'm betting that the table has a mistake. The FC-710 should be placed with the FC-700 and 735 in the table, since the 710 is a modification of the base FC-700 (adds a second hand). The table also omits the FC-705, which is the moon phase modification of the 700, or the FC-718, which is the worldtimer. Trust me, it isn't based on the SW300 or ETA 2892 - they are very different designs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Either all of the 700 series of movements are based on the SW300, or they made a mistake on their website.

Frederique Constant – Geneve - 700 SERIES MANUFACTURE
I believe the use of the manufacture term (short for manufacture d'horlogerie) is reserved for companies that design and fabricate watch movements as well as assemble them into their own watches. The manufacture collection will therefore not contain any watches with ETA or SW movements; the movements have to be in-house (design and production) for manufacture to apply. Some components can still be manufactured externally, such as the hairspring, but most of the watch must be produced and assembled in-house.

·
Registered
558 Posts
in my view FC was for a long time kinda watch underdog. partially it was problem of FC since they were somehow looking ofr own look. recently seems that FC has new blood in vains and the brand/brand's design is growing nicely...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
in my view FC was for a long time kinda watch underdog. partially it was problem of FC since they were somehow looking ofr own look. recently seems that FC has new blood in vains and the brand/brand's design is growing nicely...
Would you prefer an manufacture FC or a Nomos?

·
Registered
121 Posts
FC are doing exciting things now a days and certainly has caught my eye with the current Moonphase. Nomos watches I suspect are for a different market to FC, which cater for a much wider watch market. I own a few Nomos watches mind you and just adore the brand with their stunningly designed and finished movements at all levels. I would love to add a FC Classics Manufacture to my collection one day. Maybe even a FC Manufacture Tourbillon too:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts