WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I bought a Citizen Promaster NY0040-17L, it arrived today, it has the Miyota cal. 8204 movement that hacks.

Tonight I finally had time to sit down and properly check its functions. Handwinding, setting the time and quick setting date are all smooth, but when quick setting the day, I can feel a friction/resistance every time the day changes,and also the click is a lot louder compared to setting the date. It applies to all days, Monday to Sunday, not just one or two particular days. I did set the time noon-ish so it was in safe zone before doing anything.

I then tried changing day/date the 'natural' way, ie. forwarding the time a couple of days, I thought maybe the mechanism needed to 'settle in', but the resistance and clicks were still there when I tried quick setting the day afterwards.

Since this is my first day/date Miyota caliber, I was wondering if it is a common issue, and if so, can I ignore it, should I handle the watch with care or can it eventually cause problems and should I contact seller or Citizen to return the watch for repair or to swap it? I will keep it in the watchwinder to avoid having to quick set the day.

Any help/advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Patek Philippe 5960P, Grand Seiko SBGM221, Rolex 16570 Exp II Polar, Omega Speedmaster FOIS
2,248 Posts
If you don’t fiddle with it does it work normally as it should? I suspect it does and you’re thinking up problems that don’t exist.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don’t fiddle with it does it work normally as it should? I suspect it does and you’re thinking up problems that don’t exist.
Yes, it's 3.15am here and it changed day and date at midnight normally and as expected, without any fiddling. Like I said, this is the first time I own a Miyota day/date and at first I didn't really think it was a big deal, but decided to put up the question here anyway, just in case. Better safe than sorry =)

·
Registered
578 Posts
For some reason, I have the same experience as the OP when I handled the 8204 movement today. Changing the date is smooth but there is quite a bit of resistance when changing the day. For those who had the 8203 / 8204 movement, do you have this issue too?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason, I have the same experience as the OP when I handled the 8204 movement today. Changing the date is smooth but there is quite a bit of resistance when changing the day. For those who had the 8203 / 8204 movement, do you have this issue too?
It doesn't feel right, does it? I own 20+ automatic divers and a bunch of quartz chronographs, but no other watch in my collection has this issue, except maybe some cheap chinese rubbish that I bought out of curiosity.

I have been keeping it in the watchwinder since I bought it, so I won't have to set the day when I wear it. I would prefer to have it on display with the mini diving tank it came in....

·
Registered
578 Posts
It doesn't feel right, does it? I own 20+ automatic divers and a bunch of quartz chronographs, but no other watch in my collection has this issue
Yup. That's the reason why I didn't buy it. Not sure if its just the one odd piece exhibiting this issue. Need more folks to confirm this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here with day setting... I google "how can a ny0040 hack", and I found this topic... I bought it two days ago... It's beautyfull...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts