WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@cybercat, I do love those SMITHS 36mm. Severely tempted, but as I've bought two watches in the last month or so, I think I should play it cool until I get rid of a few others that aren't being worn so much.

@thx67, yes, it seems that the rules are changing on a daily basis. It was the same here in Melbourne prior to our last lockdown in early August, which ran until the first week of October. I still wear a mask when going into shops or built-up areas, as do most people, but I'm seeing more folks out there without masks on. Cases here in Victoria have occurred again, after almost forty case-free days (we thought we had it beaten) and there were some large gatherings around town where we now have a few nearby suburbs that have been designated as new hot-spots.
Personally, I think we may just have to lock down again, wear our masks, wash our hands, etc.
But there are too many flakes out here complaining of how they can't go to Bali for a holiday or out to a cafe for smashed avocado and a soy latte.
Tell it to Anne Frank or Nelson Mandela.
Some folks need to grow a set and buckle down.
Rant over.

@NMGE17, Nigel, I'm sorry to hear. I hope you're taking care. Here's hoping for a Speedy recovery (a watch nerd get-well card);

Other watches that I wore since Xmas;

The WatchCo Seamaster 300.

The Oris 40mm Divers SixtyFive with blue and black dial.

And, after this week's HUGE announcement from Omega, I thought I'd wear my 2007 model Speedmaster Pro.

The new Speedmaster is a beauty. Gonna make a lot of people happy. Especially Omega.

And after I got home from work yesterday, I switched over to the Planet Ocean 42mm, which I'm wearing now as I write.

And the big news; a colleague at work has a brother who manages a Tudor stockist.

Dec 23rd, 9:30am (approx.)
Colleague : Hey, he got in a Black Bay, but it's on a leather strap. If you want it, he can hold it for a day.

Me: Shut up and take my money!

I've had my name on a waiting list at another store since August 2019. Ideally, I wanted the watch on a bracelet, but after doing some quick arithmetic, I figured that since I was sick of waiting, I'd go for this model on leather and get the bracelet for it in a month or two. Meanwhile, I'd see if I could sell the leather strap and clasp, in order to help finance the cost of the bracelet.
It's the long and not financially savvy way to do it and when all is said and done, I'd end up spending about $400 (depending on what the strap sells for) more than what the watch would have cost me if I'd gotten it on a bracelet.

I bought it, got it home, removed the leather strap, and fitted a plain black seat-belt weave NATO on it;

Wore it around the house for about two hours, with all the protective plastic still on the watch. Later that day, I switched it over to a plain black leather strap;

What a friggin' watch! I fully understand that it doesn't appeal to everybody and that it has its detractors out there. However, for me, this watch creates the same effect as my vintage Sub 5513, but it has all the modern conveniences.
I don't plan on wearing it until I get the bracelet. I want the wear and tear on case and bracelet to match.
The 39mm case sits nicely on my wrist, as it has a fairly low and sleek profile. The lume is an off-white cream colour, which is juuust enough faux lume for my liking.
The bezel is 60 clicks, which hard-core dive watch fans would argue does not make it a true dive watch because it should have 120 clicks. That's cool, I don't dive.
And the bezel triangle is red, giving it a further vintage vibe.
When my wife saw photos of the watch, she said it looked underwhelming. When she saw the watch in the flesh, she was impressed by the overall 'warm' look that it gave off.
For me, there's always a risk when between the time that I decide to buy a watch to the time when I actually get it. For a watch of this price, it can take me quite a while to get the bucks together and what happens on a subconscious level is that I begin to build the watch up to some mythical status while I'm saving my dough.
I call it 'The Batman Effect'. Back in 1989, there was a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the new Tim Burton Batman movie in the six months prior to its release. I had read the phenomenal Frank Miller graphic novel (comic), The Dark Knight Returns a few years earlier. It was a dark vision of an older Bruce Wayne/Batman. The Joker was indeed crazy, Superman was doing work for the US government, and a thirteen year-old girl with gymnastic prowess was trying to become Robin. For a comic, it was a very serious read.
I had high hopes for the Burton movie.
Then I saw it when it was released.
I decided after that to never again fall for the hype. About anything.

So, when it comes to watches, I try not to get suckered in by how fantastic it might be, but the longer I take to save for it, the greater the risk of 'falling for the hype' becomes.
I'm glad to say that this watch, for me, lives up to all the praise that it had received since it was released at Basel in 2018. I can't really fault this watch at all. If anything, I wish it had larger engraving on the case-back, but that's such a minor quibble that it hardly merits a mention.
Anyway, the strap and clasp are safely nestled in the Tudor box, to prevent it curving too much. The watch arrived in-store on a Wednesday, I placed the deposit next day, and picked it up three days later.

I'll be looking forward to getting the bracelet so that I can wear it. In the meantime, I think this year will see the collection getting a slight reshuffle. I'm reaching a point where I want o have watches that get regular wear, with just a handful of favourites for special occasion or particular moods.
This watch collecting bug never ends, does it?

Thanks for reading, and I hope 2021 has started off nicely for you all. If anything, we can aim for a better year than the last one.

Get well soon, Nigel!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I’ve worn my Reverso everyday since picking it up on Sunday. Impressed at how well it feels at home on the wrist in business attire throughout the week to jeans and a sweater at home. The Fagliano strap is absolutely amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hello everyone!! Happy New Year to you all!!

@NMGE17 Let me begin by sending my best wishes and healing thoughts out to Nigel and his family. I'm very sorry to hear that you and your family have been affected by this virus, Nigel. I'm happy to hear that, from the sound of things, you're all on the mend.

@teeritz Happy New Year, Tino!! Thanks for continuing with your weekly thread, I always look forward to it. Also, congratulations on the BB58!! I know you really wanted to get your hands on that one, so I'm glad that it happened for you.

@cybercat Will, that Everest in quite the watch...and 36mm to boot. Right up my alley. Congratulations!!

New year for everyone, same routine for me. I wore the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer while visiting with my parents on Saturday. It's looking like a new SM300 release is imminent. If the pictures floating around are accurate, I still prefer mine;

20210102_130735.jpg

I spent some time on Sunday switching up some straps/bracelets;

20210103_144258.jpg

I moved the Railmaster from the OMEGA leather strap with deployant back to its bracelet, the SM300MC from its bracelet to the OMEGA barenia leather strap, and the Speedmaster from the DeGriff Antique Brown leather strap with OMEGA tang buckle to the DeGriff brown suede leather with OMEGA deployant. I was happy to be enjoying the Railmaster back on the bracelet on Sunday;

20210103_150057.jpg

After enjoying 3 days off it was back to work on Monday. Trying out my rugged, yet sophisticated, GQ look again...pairing my 300MC with my old Carhartt jacket;

20210104_090315.jpg

The Speedmaster is such a strap monster that every time I change the strap, the new combo becomes my favourite. I absolutely love this super supple and comfy suede strap;

20210105_093607.jpg

20210105_110322.jpg

It was back to the Railmaster on Wednesday. I'm loving the bracelet;

20210106_090952.jpg

20210106_195530.jpg

I got to work early on Thursday. Made a coffee and had some time for a photo shoot. The model for the day was the Seamaster 300;

20210107_091217.jpg

Back visiting the folks again today. Every Friday...fish and chips...and the Speedy, of course;

20210108_185542.jpg

Have a great weekend, everyone!! Please continue to wear a mask, wash your hands, and stay safe.

Rene

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the messages guys!

Congratulations on the new addition Tino! A lovely jump start to 2021.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Nigel
Thank-you, sir! Oh, and pardon my lapse in manners, Nigel. Get well wishes to the rest of your family, too!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
@cybercat, I do love those SMITHS 36mm. Severely tempted, but as I've bought two watches in the last month or so, I think I should play it cool until I get rid of a few others that aren't being worn so much.

@thx67, yes, it seems that the rules are changing on a daily basis. It was the same here in Melbourne prior to our last lockdown in early August, which ran until the first week of October. I still wear a mask when going into shops or built-up areas, as do most people, but I'm seeing more folks out there without masks on. Cases here in Victoria have occurred again, after almost forty case-free days (we thought we had it beaten) and there were some large gatherings around town where we now have a few nearby suburbs that have been designated as new hot-spots.
Personally, I think we may just have to lock down again, wear our masks, wash our hands, etc.
But there are too many flakes out here complaining of how they can't go to Bali for a holiday or out to a cafe for smashed avocado and a soy latte.
Tell it to Anne Frank or Nelson Mandela.
Some folks need to grow a set and buckle down.
Rant over.

@NMGE17, Nigel, I'm sorry to hear. I hope you're taking care. Here's hoping for a Speedy recovery (a watch nerd get-well card);

View attachment 15640417

Other watches that I wore since Xmas;

The WatchCo Seamaster 300.

View attachment 15640419

The Oris 40mm Divers SixtyFive with blue and black dial.

View attachment 15640420

And, after this week's HUGE announcement from Omega, I thought I'd wear my 2007 model Speedmaster Pro.

View attachment 15640422

The new Speedmaster is a beauty. Gonna make a lot of people happy. Especially Omega.

And after I got home from work yesterday, I switched over to the Planet Ocean 42mm, which I'm wearing now as I write.

View attachment 15640424

And the big news; a colleague at work has a brother who manages a Tudor stockist.

Dec 23rd, 9:30am (approx.)
Colleague : Hey, he got in a Black Bay, but it's on a leather strap. If you want it, he can hold it for a day.

Me: Shut up and take my money!

I've had my name on a waiting list at another store since August 2019. Ideally, I wanted the watch on a bracelet, but after doing some quick arithmetic, I figured that since I was sick of waiting, I'd go for this model on leather and get the bracelet for it in a month or two. Meanwhile, I'd see if I could sell the leather strap and clasp, in order to help finance the cost of the bracelet.
It's the long and not financially savvy way to do it and when all is said and done, I'd end up spending about $400 (depending on what the strap sells for) more than what the watch would have cost me if I'd gotten it on a bracelet.

I bought it, got it home, removed the leather strap, and fitted a plain black seat-belt weave NATO on it;

View attachment 15640435

Wore it around the house for about two hours, with all the protective plastic still on the watch. Later that day, I switched it over to a plain black leather strap;

View attachment 15640439

What a friggin' watch! I fully understand that it doesn't appeal to everybody and that it has its detractors out there. However, for me, this watch creates the same effect as my vintage Sub 5513, but it has all the modern conveniences.
I don't plan on wearing it until I get the bracelet. I want the wear and tear on case and bracelet to match.
The 39mm case sits nicely on my wrist, as it has a fairly low and sleek profile. The lume is an off-white cream colour, which is juuust enough faux lume for my liking.
The bezel is 60 clicks, which hard-core dive watch fans would argue does not make it a true dive watch because it should have 120 clicks. That's cool, I don't dive.
And the bezel triangle is red, giving it a further vintage vibe.
When my wife saw photos of the watch, she said it looked underwhelming. When she saw the watch in the flesh, she was impressed by the overall 'warm' look that it gave off.
For me, there's always a risk when between the time that I decide to buy a watch to the time when I actually get it. For a watch of this price, it can take me quite a while to get the bucks together and what happens on a subconscious level is that I begin to build the watch up to some mythical status while I'm saving my dough.
I call it 'The Batman Effect'. Back in 1989, there was a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the new Tim Burton Batman movie in the six months prior to its release. I had read the phenomenal Frank Miller graphic novel (comic), The Dark Knight Returns a few years earlier. It was a dark vision of an older Bruce Wayne/Batman. The Joker was indeed crazy, Superman was doing work for the US government, and a thirteen year-old girl with gymnastic prowess was trying to become Robin. For a comic, it was a very serious read.
I had high hopes for the Burton movie.
Then I saw it when it was released.
I decided after that to never again fall for the hype. About anything.

So, when it comes to watches, I try not to get suckered in by how fantastic it might be, but the longer I take to save for it, the greater the risk of 'falling for the hype' becomes.
I'm glad to say that this watch, for me, lives up to all the praise that it had received since it was released at Basel in 2018. I can't really fault this watch at all. If anything, I wish it had larger engraving on the case-back, but that's such a minor quibble that it hardly merits a mention.
Anyway, the strap and clasp are safely nestled in the Tudor box, to prevent it curving too much. The watch arrived in-store on a Wednesday, I placed the deposit next day, and picked it up three days later.

I'll be looking forward to getting the bracelet so that I can wear it. In the meantime, I think this year will see the collection getting a slight reshuffle. I'm reaching a point where I want o have watches that get regular wear, with just a handful of favourites for special occasion or particular moods.
This watch collecting bug never ends, does it?

Thanks for reading, and I hope 2021 has started off nicely for you all. If anything, we can aim for a better year than the last one.

Get well soon, Nigel!
Huge congrats Tino!!!! I’ve just read your post and everything you say about the BB58 is true. I was kind of underwhelmed when I saw the release photos, but I follow several chaps on Instagram and the watch grew on me. The gilt details with the red are gorgeous. Even the snowflake hands look nice in person. As for on the wrist it’s incredible! Tudor nailed it! Here’s a shot from a friend which captures it beautifully

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Hello everyone!! Happy New Year to you all!!

@NMGE17 Let me begin by sending my best wishes and healing thoughts out to Nigel and his family. I'm very sorry to hear that you and your family have been affected by this virus, Nigel. I'm happy to hear that, from the sound of things, you're all on the mend.

@teeritz Happy New Year, Tino!! Thanks for continuing with your weekly thread, I always look forward to it. Also, congratulations on the BB58!! I know you really wanted to get your hands on that one, so I'm glad that it happened for you.

@cybercat Will, that Everest in quite the watch...and 36mm to boot. Right up my alley. Congratulations!!

New year for everyone, same routine for me. I wore the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial Chronometer while visiting with my parents on Saturday. It's looking like a new SM300 release is imminent. If the pictures floating around are accurate, I still prefer mine;

View attachment 15640826

I spent some time on Sunday switching up some straps/bracelets;

View attachment 15640827

I moved the Railmaster from the OMEGA leather strap with deployant back to its bracelet, the SM300MC from its bracelet to the OMEGA barenia leather strap, and the Speedmaster from the DeGriff Antique Brown leather strap with OMEGA tang buckle to the DeGriff brown suede leather with OMEGA deployant. I was happy to be enjoying the Railmaster back on the bracelet on Sunday;

View attachment 15640828

After enjoying 3 days off it was back to work on Monday. Trying out my rugged, yet sophisticated, GQ look again...pairing my 300MC with my old Carhartt jacket;

View attachment 15640829

The Speedmaster is such a strap monster that every time I change the strap, the new combo becomes my favourite. I absolutely love this super supple and comfy suede strap;

View attachment 15640830

View attachment 15640831

It was back to the Railmaster on Wednesday. I'm loving the bracelet;

View attachment 15640832

View attachment 15640833

I got to work early on Thursday. Made a coffee and had some time for a photo shoot. The model for the day was the Seamaster 300;

View attachment 15640834

Back visiting the folks again today. Every Friday...fish and chips...and the Speedy, of course;

View attachment 15640835

Have a great weekend, everyone!! Please continue to wear a mask, wash your hands, and stay safe.

Rene
René you’re taking some fine photos my friend!!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
René you’re taking some fine photos my friend!!

Thanks Dan! That's kind of you to say.

René

Reactions: NMGE17 and solesman

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Happy 2021 to you as well Tino! In my case had wore most of the week the Milgauss:

A little the Yachtmaster:

and also a couple of Casio GA-2100’s recently purchased, on which have done a few customizations by swaping parts among them (very easy to do):

I decided to sell the Pelagos and it’s on its way to his new home; bought another watch to replace it which has not arrive yet (due for delivery tomorrow) which am pretty sure you would like a lot Tino !

Happy weekend everyone and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Late evening arrival: Black BB58 is here!

Tino: Mine came from factory on the leather band / deployant too, but original owner ordered the steel bracelet so have both OEM bands (plus he also added the jubilee strapcode as well, so great to play Barbie ). Here is the combo:

and a quick picture on the steel OEM bracelet:

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Late evening arrival: Black BB58 is here!

Tino: Mine came from factory on the leather band / deployant too, but original owner ordered the steel bracelet so have both OEM bands (plus he also added the jubilee strapcode as well, so great to play Barbie ). Here is the combo:

and a quick picture on the steel OEM bracelet:

Congrats, Francisco! Think I’ll have to speed up my efforts to get the OEM bracelet, but it’s good to know that StrapCode make aftermarket bracelets that fit the watch. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Congrats, Francisco! Think I’ll have to speed up my efforts to get the OEM bracelet, but it’s good to know that StrapCode make aftermarket bracelets that fit the watch. Enjoy it!
Thanks Tino! Have seen a couple
of OEM bracelets for sale by themselves on the watch forums, so getting one should not be that difficult 😉

Enjoy it in good health !! 😃

21 - 40 of 53 Posts