WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Haven’t been wearing watches lately. I’ve never been one to wear watches at home much and seems I’m at home a lot these days.

I think you are right Tino this is going to drag on a while.

Feeling very blessed that my family is navigating along. Two young boys makes for a lot of work keeping them engaged with school work. But we are having a lot of fun too.
Hey GT, not 'seen' you around here for ages! Hope you are well, good to see you back. (y)

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
Hi guys, great pics again this week!
... but not from me I'm afraid; have to hurry this - suddenly need to rush out & grab dinner...
Apologies also as pics impromptu, most with phone - & 2 of the watches grubby & dusty :

Last weekend started with the new-to-me Seiko SBGX093.

View attachment 15373554

Something I hadn't expected is how stunningly easy the lume is to read, both in absolute darkness or dim light with refelctions from the zaratsu polished hands & indices...

View attachment 15373553

Changed to MK II Kingston later on Saturday

View attachment 15373556

View attachment 15373557

Midweek was the 42mm 2500 first generation Planet Ocean ...

View attachment 15373560

- and have been wearing my 2503 Railmaster since yesterday, including a for a scrumptious Shanghainese lunch a few hours ago...

View attachment 15373643

View attachment 15373570

Need to fly now, enjoy your weekends, & stay safe!
Hey, cybercat. I've always really liked that Grand Seiko SBGX093. I was after one myself, a while ago. Unfortunately, it was discontinued. :(

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Evening gents, finally finished a long shift, a mojito in the sun is a good treat now and I am enjoying another nice Friday thread.

Still working from home and I wouldn‘t be surprised if this continues for a few more months because the number of positive cases are on the rise here again and because I have a long commute by traIn. Haven’t seen the office since late February but that’s fine.
Masks have been mandatory here since May in shops, outdoor markets, museums etc, and this will probably also stay for a while. I don‘t really mind, I have become so used to them.

Seamaster still on bracelet although I was briefly tempted to put it on Nato this morning.

Have a good weekend, all

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hey, cybercat. I've always really liked that Grand Seiko SBGX093. I was after one myself, a while ago. Unfortunately, it was discontinued. :(
Yup, I'd been stalking one & off for a good few years, but for one reason or another the circumstances were wrong for me when when a presentable example became available, until now.
So glad to have acquired this. Much nicer in 'real life' than the excellent seller & his pics had me expecting. Immensely impressed with it.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Personally, I think I'm not a fan of this new-look WUS. I miss the Hybrid view, for one thing, and I'm not crazy about all the empty space to the right of the screen.
I agree. But using tapatalk makes it better

We've had a serious spike in Covid-19 cases in my neck of the woods in recent weeks. Seven hundred and twenty-three new cases yesterday (a grim new record) and 627 cases today. We're all meant to be wearing masks in public, but there are still a few people out there who aren't following the rules. One lady last week was stopped at a hardware store because she wasn't wearing a mask and she got into some BS argument with staff and management about the infringement to her human rights, etc, etc. Just put a friggin' mask on, lady. Google "Bunnings Karen" to get an overview of the story. If you can be bothered. I know I can't.
It's not looking good over there. And if bloody Clive has his way, WA won't be allowed to keep people out.

I've been sick again this week. Started Sunday last week. My wife had it the week before. Not COVID thank goodness. I tried to work for 2 days but then had to take time off. Worked from home today.

I wore no watches most of the week, SMP a couple of days.

We had a church group dinner night on Saturday last week, which turned into a whisky night for the men.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hey, calv1n, hope you're well! Long time between drinks. For you and this forum, that is. I'VE been drinking since 6:00pm. Only 2 G&Ts, to take the edge off the week.
And yes, these double-up Friday Threads tend to happen every now and then. Great minds think alike, as they say.

RE; Panerai, I've always been a fan of them, but have held off for a couple of reasons, which aren't very solid reasons at all, really. Firstly. 44mm watch vs my 6.5 inch wrist. I used to have a 44mm Hamilton Khaki Officer's Mechanical;

View attachment 15373517

And it absolutely dwarfed my wrist, so I sold it and replaced it with the 40mm Khaki. However...if that's the look that I'm going for, then the ONLY watch that I think could pull it off would be a Panerai. Specifically a Luminor Marina, preferably with the logo dial;

View attachment 15373523

I'd stand a better chance wearing something like this. It's the short lugs, you see. They make for a better fit on a small wrist. Sure, it will still look large on me, but come on, it's a Panerai!
And I'd be happy with the pre-in-house movement model. A simple Unitas 6498 calibre means that any watchmaker over 40 will be able to service it.

The second reason that's stopped me from buying one is the price. Yep, not overly expensive, probably around $5500-$6500 AUD for one in decent shape, but there's always some other watch on the horizon that gets in ahead of a Pammy. Still, one day.
So basically, That's it. Always been tempted, but other watches are ahead in the queue. And I think I'd have to thin out the collection a little first, too.
No other brand comes close to making such an iconic design in that size. And who doesn't love a Radiomir? Nice one you have.

Yes, I stepped out of the office yesterday to go get a coffee and got halfway to the cafe when I realised I didn't have the mask on. To play it safe, I now have a folded bandana in my back pocket. Yes, it might make me look like a train robber in Abilene, but it'll do the trick.

Stay safe!
I’m good thanks Tino, lots of lockdown, lots of cycling, and generally pottering about quite happily. Just about to start on the G&Ts ourselves down on the South coast of UK, so a belated cheers to you.

I think it’s the uniqueness of Panerai that I enjoy - very different from many primarily 40- 42mm round faced watches. And it’s surprising how well a 44mm Luminor or 45mm Radiomir wears (I actually think the latter appears slightly smaller). Maybe you should consider the plunge?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thanks! The ceramic (liquid metal) bezel assembly is from the 2500 limited edition Planet Ocean. The one from the 8500 PO series should also fit (so I read), would be even nicier as that one is matte black and would probably better match the matte dial of the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I can confirm - I tried it a few years back, when I hoped the matte bezel might ‘tool-ify’ the 2500 a little, but as stated by MFB71 there is some recession of the crystal, plus the sportiness of the 8500 bezel doesn’t quite fit with the classic nature of the first PO, IMO.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I can confirm - I tried it a few years back, when I hoped the matte bezel might ‘tool-ify’ the 2500 a little, but as stated by MFB71 there is some recession of the crystal, plus the sportiness of the 8500 bezel doesn’t quite fit with the classic nature of the first PO, IMO.

Thanks for sharing! That is the complete 8500 bezel assembly right? The 8500 bezel insert by itself might fit into my liquid metal bezel steel ring and sit flush? Would be cool to try that, supposed you didn’t kept it ?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I agree with you Tino, not a fan of the new layout, but maybe I’m just a grumpy old man who doesn’t like change.

Likewise I agree we will be dealing with this situation for sometime by when hopefully those people who cannot work out a mask will also learn to follow direction signage to help with distancing.

This was a seriously long week at work in the office, one big deadline today and another on Monday so won’t be free of work over the weekend, not helped by the rest of the team working at home so more difficult to keep track of progress. This contributes to my insomnia.

Anyway, watches - I’ve not been able to wear one all week. I had an allergic reaction on my wrist to something when working in the garden last weekend. Hopefully back to wearing next week.

HAGWE

Nigel

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Spectre on Friday!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts