WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at dinner with friends and we we're discussing my new hobby of watches and he mentioned he had his dads World War II watches from Rolex. The black military dial one I can't seem to find anywhere. Does anyone have any idea what reference these might be. I'm sorry I cannot open them all I got were these pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My guess, the first is a 1940s, ref 2940 bubble back.

Reactions: jimdon5822

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Both fake.

Send them to me, so that I can treasure, I mean, dispose of them on your friend's behalf.

Just kidding!

They look so cool, especially the white dialled one.

Reactions: jimdon5822

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Both fake.

Send them to me, so that I can treasure, I mean, dispose of them on your friend's behalf.

Just kidding!

They look so cool, especially the white dialled one.
The black dial one is gorgeous. The inner numbers are gold along with the 24hr markers and the hands. Mel says he thinks his dad told him he got at least one from the base PX. He was a bomber pilot. Brave fellow for sure.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Researching... In the mean time, take a look at this... Appears to be the same model as the top one, albeit in a different dial color. Trying to figure out the exact reference...
That looks real close. Just a black dial instead. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
this is super rare
Exceedingly.

I'm throwing in the towel. The first one is clearly some sort of bubble back, I'd estimate a ref. 2940, 3372, 5015, or 6015. ... I'd guess a 5015. I only found two BB watches with similar military dials. The one I posted earlier is an exact match, but frustratingly, the reference is unknown. The second is a 5015 and is pictured below. While the dial layout is very similar, the numerals are a different font, the second hand is different, the case is yellow gold, and the bezel is notched.

I haven't found anything that resembles the dial of OP's second watch. I've never seen anything like it.

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say both the OP's watches are products of the Rolex Company of Canada, which was a semi-independent entity at the time, occasionally put together unorthodox pieces, and was known to supply PXs.

IMG_0579.JPG

·
Registered
646 Posts
Love stories like this :)
Are you not able to contact Rolex direct and ask them, I would like to think they have more than a passing interest in preserving historical pieces.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exceedingly.

I'm throwing in the towel. The first one is clearly some sort of bubble back, I'd estimate a ref. 2940, 3372, 5015, or 6015. ... I'd guess a 5015. I only found two BB watches with similar military dials. The one I posted earlier is an exact match, but frustratingly, the reference is unknown. The second is a 5015 and is pictured below. While the dial layout is very similar, the numerals are a different font, the second hand is different, the case is yellow gold, and the bezel is notched.

I haven't found anything that resembles the dial of OP's second watch. I've never seen anything like it.

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say both the OP's watches are products of the Rolex Company of Canada, which was a semi-independent entity at the time, occasionally put together unorthodox pieces, and was known to supply PXs.

View attachment 12182978
Thank you for that information. I had never heard of Rolex Canada. Makes logical sense to me.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love stories like this :)
Are you not able to contact Rolex direct and ask them, I would like to think they have more than a passing interest in preserving historical pieces.
I will definitely do that! Thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well my buddy called me and wants to sell them. I have right of first refusal (excited) but I need to get him an idea of value. I am working on that. Both need service, crystals and new crown and stem tubes. I can't wait to get my hands on them!!!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well the watches are in my possession now. I was able to get the back off of the oyster chronometer and it is a 4220. The serial number dates it to 1942. A quick search of the Internet and I can't seem to find this dial anywhere. The dial looks a little sloppy especially on the lume dots and I don't see Swiss Made on the dial. Thoughts on redial? The balance pivot is broken.

The other watch I cannot open the back even though I have the proper tool. It is tight and won't budge. I'm open to any suggestions and how I might be able to get that open. I did notice it has a letter C on one lug and is hand engraved Swiss on the other. Anyone seen that before? That certainly would make sense for the Rolex Canada connection . The serial number on this one dates it to 1944.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts