WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have interest in Oris Watches, I completely understand. I just received my Oris ProDiver and simply love it. Thing is I had fully intended on buying the watch from FRIENDS OF ORIS. However, it did not end up that way. I elected to purchase the watch through Continental Diamond and am extremely happy I did. Why?? Here is an overview of my experience with Friends of Oris. If you plan to buy an Oris Watch from Friends of Oris, I strongly suggest you read this.

I did a web search to find information on the Oris ProDiver. Came across a video review by Andrew (Smithy) Smith. I watched the review and quickly realized I had to have this watch. Andrew and his colleague did a very nice job of reviewing the watch and commenting on the many features and benefits. After reviewing prices on Friends of Oris, I elected to contact them to order the watch. Prior to actually ordering the watch, I had conversations with FRIENDS OF ORIS. I told them I was a little nervous about spending so much money with a distributor so far from home. FRIENDS OF ORIS assured me it would be a smooth process. They provided lots of information including the fact that they are AUTHORIZED ORIS DEALERS. Based on that, I placed the order. At time of order, I asked for written confirmation of the order outlining price paid, shipment information, receipt etc. FRIENDS OF ORIS assured me that would be provided.

FRIENDS OF ORIS informed me the watch would be pressure tested before it shipped so be patient. At time of shipment, they would provide the detail I requested. A few days later, I received shipping information - but still no receipt - I would soon find out why this never happened.

The product would be shipped by one of the largest overnight freight companies. This made me feel good. My wife is a former employee of this global freight company and has many contacts within the organization. Should something go wrong, I felt a bit more comfortable knowing she could call in some favors.

I checked the large freight companies website each day to see where the watch was in the shipping process. Finally, the watch arrived in the states. According to their website, the watch would be in my city the next day. A few hours later, I got a call from the large international freight company, the shipment had been stopped. Appears US Customs would not clear the package. I spoke with my wife, she called some folks at the large international freight company and got the details. Shipment was halted because the shipper - FRIENDS OF ORIS - declared value of the watch at approximately $65.00. Well under the actual value of the watch. When I questioned why they would do this, the large international freight company said it may have been done to avoid paying high duties and taxes.

I called FRIENDS OF ORIS to inform them of the situation. They said "in more than 10 years of servicing the US market, this has never happened before". They said don't worry, they would handle it. One day later, I get a call from FRIENDS OF ORIS asking me to be patient and not to return the watch. They are working with local representatives from the large international freight company and they will get things squared away.

I received another call from the large international freight company saying the watch would be returned to FRIENDS OF ORIS. I understood the reasons for doing so and was set to move on. Next day, the watch was actually delivered to me. I did not expect this at all. I took the watch, and headed off to jewelry store to have the band adjusted. When I arrived back at my home, the large international freight company had returned. They said they needed to take the watch because it still had not passed customs. Shocked - sorta - I gave them the watch and they left.

I called FRIENDS OF ORIS to report the update. During the conversation, they asked me to pay for duties and taxes. They said they would credit whatever the cost was. I refused to do so. They also offered to send the watch back in two separate boxes. By doing so, they could call it a repair vs. sale of a new watch. They felt this option would insure it moved through customs without issue. I said no.

Watch was returned and credit was requested. More than a week went buy and I received a credit from FRIENDS OF ORIS. However, the credit was more than $180 less than what I paid for the watch. I called FRIENDS OF ORIS and asked them to credit the entire amount originally paid. They responded by saying they paid exactly what was originally charged. They are not responsible for adjustments in currency. I informed FRIENDS OF ORIS that I did not break the law - they did - and got caught. Why should i pay for their illegal activities. The refused to pay.

I called the credit card company and challenged the charge. They stepped in an attempted to make things right. After almost 8 weeks, they settled the problem - THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY PAID THE DISPUTED VARIANCE - NOT FRIENDS OF ORIS. IF THIS POSTING PREVENTS ONLY ONE PERSON FROM EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM, THEN I HAVE DONE MY JOB.

For those who may say....you have got to be kidding me - this could not happen - it did. And........I have 100% of the transaction, activities and communications documented along with support information from the large international freight company. My suggestion is to seriously consider any transaction you might have with this company. I would also suggest Oris Watch Company strongly consider ending their business relationship with FRIENDS OF ORIS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You took the risk of purchasing internationally. This stuff happens.
They tried to help you by decreasing the taxes you would have to pay.
It was caught out... this happens sometimes.

It is true that they are not responsible for the global economy, so why would they pay you back more than you paid them in the first place?
That is another risk with international trading... the loss of money.

Friends of Oris are great. They do everything they can to help their customers.
Maybe they shouldn't have claimed it at a lower price, and just let you cop the taxes. My guess is that you wouldn't be happy then either.

I have bought over 200 items from the U.S in the last year and a half. I have had similar incidents to you occur.
I have had things lost because the seller didn't ship to the right address or via the correct and agreed upon method, and they have then told me stiff luck.
You got your refund. Why would you blame them for the risk of taking part in an international trade where the economy changes constantly?

I say again, international purchasing comes with risks.
There is no reason that they require a caution however.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DimeRazorback - This might be a shocker for you but......we live in a global economy. Since when is purchasing an item from an AUTHORIZED ORIS DEALER Considered "taking a risk by purchasing internationally. You have got to be kidding me!! Your statement alone should send people running the other way. What you are saying is......ATTENTION ALL ORIS WATCH BUYERS.....IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES AND BUY FROM FRIENDS OF ORIS......YOU ARE TAKING A RISK. Don't get me wrong - I agree, with what your saying - purchasing from FRIENDS OF ORIS is a massive risk that should be avoided.

With regard to taxes / duties. They never gave me the option to make a decision one way or another. Something you might want to consider - information allows one to make well informed decisions. They never offered any information regarding duties and taxes.

If you conduct your business in an honest and ethical manner I suspect it would lead to better press - just a thought.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I find it totally strange that the watch was released (presumably by customs) only to be repossessed as soon as it was delivered? can someone explain that please?

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's unfortunate, but I think the exception . I bought two tt1's from foof with no problem. I think they were marked warranty spring bar replacement for customs purposes and no hold up in delivery.
Also this is more common than you might think. Buying from the Singapore dealers for example often mark gift for customs purposes.

Ps dime, hello from CPF

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I find it totally strange that the watch was released (presumably by customs) only to be repossessed as soon as it was delivered? can someone explain that please?

The courier company have a registered 'bond' store which allows them to bring international cargo back to their warehouse prior to customs clearance.

This is referred to as bonded cargo.

The clearance is then entered for each item, once cleared, they are despatched for delivery.

There should be distinct demarcation between bonded cargo, and free goods (items that have been cleared)

The courier company operated outside the scope of their licensing, or due to human error, put it on a truck for delivery as opposed to a truck for re-export.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very good question. One I asked the large international freight company. They had no idea how it happened and were quite embarrassed by the whole thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be the exception but they had a choice on how to handle it. They handled it very poorly. Unless my CC company stepped in, I was about to be out $180 for something I had no control over. They never called me to say "hey, you mind if we cut some corners with US Customs to save us some money on taxes and duties. I don't doubt the practice is common - I also don't doubt it is illegal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I so disagree with TS!
Service at FOO is perfect, bought there my 2nd Oris without any problems.
They did everything they could to get you the watch asap.
They offered you to credit the additional costs! Who would do that!
And int. currency fluctuate, you alo could have come out better....
In my point of view FOO is not to blaim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
DimeRazorback - This might be a shocker for you but......we live in a global economy. Since when is purchasing an item from an AUTHORIZED ORIS DEALER Considered "taking a risk by purchasing internationally. You have got to be kidding me!! Your statement alone should send people running the other way. What you are saying is......ATTENTION ALL ORIS WATCH BUYERS.....IF YOU LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES AND BUY FROM FRIENDS OF ORIS......YOU ARE TAKING A RISK. Don't get me wrong - I agree, with what your saying - purchasing from FRIENDS OF ORIS is a massive risk that should be avoided.

Ummmm exchange rates change...
That was my point. It is a risk when you buy something that is from another country, and therefore exchange rates play part in the price.
Don't twist my words, it is not appreciated.

Therefore, if you buy something for say US$100 when the Oz dollar is only buying US$0.60, and you get a refund when it is at US$0.80 you obviously wont get the same amount back...

You are just a disgruntled customer... or should I say ex-customer.

It could have worked out differently for you if the exchange rate differed... you could of made money out of the refund.
Would you return the difference?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The courier company have a registered 'bond' store which allows them to bring international cargo back to their warehouse prior to customs clearance.

This is referred to as bonded cargo.

The clearance is then entered for each item, once cleared, they are despatched for delivery.

There should be distinct demarcation between bonded cargo, and free goods (items that have been cleared)

The courier company operated outside the scope of their licensing, or due to human error, put it on a truck for delivery as opposed to a truck for re-export.
Thanks for the explanation Oz :-!
gee i wish this error occurred every time i purchase goodies internationally exceeding Aussie tax threshold :-d

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Oz :-!
gee i wish this error occurred every time i purchase goodies internationally exceeding Aussie tax threshold :-d
:-x

Happens more with the post than with dedicated door to door courier companies (DHL / UPS / FEDEX) - Because they dont have any discrimination between commercial and non commercial goods - The post have people that screen the cargo and decide based on commodity and consignee details who gets stung....(usually)

·
Registered
223 Posts
They never called me to say "hey, you mind if we cut some corners with US Customs to save us some money on taxes and duties. I don't doubt the practice is common - I also don't doubt it is illegal.
They weren't saving themselves anything, they were attempting to save you money. You buy something from overseas for a given price, all import duties and taxes on receipt in your country are your responsibility.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I'm not belittling the issue but this is the first time I have ever heard anything less than 100% positive about FOO.
Just wondering why you didn't go with an AD in the same country/state as you reside?
While I sympathise with your individual experience, suggesting Oris end their business relationship with FOO is a bit strong and (this aside) completely unfounded. I'm sure FOO have hundreds if not thousands of satisfied customers.

I sincerely hope this has not put you off Oris in general and can find the ProDiver you clearly desire. Good luck in your search.
Brgds,
Capt

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey ,

Quote Fitzer

"They weren't saving themselves anything, they were attempting to save you money. You buy something from overseas for a given price, all import duties and taxes on receipt in your country are your responsibility. "

Yeah , i have to agree with Fitzer.

Perhaps your interferance by contacting " the large international freight company" made it worse.
Suddenly the package got the "special" interest of the customservice.

Elf.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've bought several pieces from Rob, Smithy, Lisa and Co and never once had a problem.

I hope this won't cause an issue with future purchases from FOO where the invoices are 'ahem' adjusted. Just some folk trying to help out a few watch enthusiasts.

Now, if only Oris would release something new I'd like, I'd be giving FOO some more of my money :-!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess I can cross them off of my list. I am looking at adding a third Oris and it definitely won't be from so-called Friends of Oris.

I'm surprised that so many people are advocating and supporting the idea of LYING on the customs forms. If they want to send things to the States then they should be prepared to pay the duties.

Total agreement with Biff on this one. Oris should pull the plug. Someone else will step up and fill the void.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi,

Quote ATinPGH,

"If they want to send things to the States then they should be prepared to pay the duties."

NO , If YOU want to Import things to your country , YOU have be prepared to pay tax. Not the other way around.
I am not happy paying/funding our national taxfund ,paying a lot already, and will do a lot to avoid it. I am not a hypocrite about it.
And if someone is willing to give me a hand with that ,that's just fine with me. But I won't cry about it when it doesn't come throu customs uncharged either.
That's part of the game.
If you want to avoid it go to your local AD. Where all duty's are allready in the purchasing price.

My two cents , Elf.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How is it that people are so ignorant towards international trading? :-s

Why would the sender pay the import tax for you to import something?

o|

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.