WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody-

Until a few days ago I thought I was the only person in the world who had an obsession with watches. Apparently, I was dead wrong! I'm a pilot/college student, trying to save money for my instrument rating. I don't have a NEED for a new watch, however, I've worn the same one every single day for the past 3 years (combine that with a summer job on Catalina Island, and you've got one bad watch tan), and I think I owe it to myself. I currently wear a Casio AMW320-R, which I've decided, is indestructable. As you may have guessed, I'm on a budget. I'd like to stay around $100, but for the right watch I would go upwards of $200. I know I should head to the "Affordable Watches" section, but I figured I'd see what some fellow pilots have to say first. I'll try to narrow it down the best I can.

Most importantly, it has to be analog, and self winding, hopefully unique looking. The main feature that I am looking for is a second, 24 hour time, so I can display Zulu on my watch. I also have some pretty thin wrists, so that is a factor. I like big watches, but some just aren't practical for me. The Casio I have now is pretty big, but with the resin band, it still works well. Having the date on there would also be nice. I really have no preference for the origin of the movement (Asia, Europe, etc.). I like the chronograph look, the Sinn 356 Flieger caught my eye, but way out of my price range.

I hope some of that was helpful, and not total overload. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm open for anything.

-Monte

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, Monte! :)

getting an auto with 24h indication on your budget is going to be a challenge ... as for quartz, a Traser P6500 (with 12h bezel) or Citizen Nighthawk might come close (a forum search for those words will reveal more info than I could give right now).

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The Torgeon T5 is a nice, practical, dual time ( one in 24 hour ) quartz analogue watch, but is over your budget at about $400 new - I know that adds up to probably a couple of hours instrument time, but it might be worth spending that bit more - it will be good right through your training and probably for the first few years of your career until you get the job that allows you to really splash out and get a Glycine!

Other than that - Casio and Timex do a great range of practical watches, while not directly aimed at pilots, certainly useful to them and all around your budget.

Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
I second the citizen nighthawk, with shipping just picked up a brand new one off ebay and that's shipping included. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Real looker and well built.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Citizen Nighthawk does look amazing! Simple enough to be elegant, yet sophisticated enough to do what I need it to. My only fear is that it might be too big for my wrists. My current watch is 42mm, and I feel is the biggest that would look decent on my wrist. Any thoughts?

-Monte

·
Registered
533 Posts
Dude, the Nighthawk is where it's at for the price you stated. I bought one for myself when I got my pilot slot several years ago and wore it all the way through initial private pilot license to primary jet training to rotary school. Once I got my wings I "upgraded" a little but I still sport the Nighthawk ever so often. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The Citizen Nighthawk does look amazing! Simple enough to be elegant, yet sophisticated enough to do what I need it to. My only fear is that it might be too big for my wrists. My current watch is 42mm, and I feel is the biggest that would look decent on my wrist. Any thoughts?

-Monte
The Nighthawk is about 42 mm so it should work fine. I love mine (and it fits my tiny 6.75 inch wrist perfectly). Should you decide to get the Nighthawk, make sure you get the bracelet too - it's awesome! :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to WUS!
Thank you! Man, all you people are evil. I've got the bug now, I can't stop cruising eBay. It must be mine! But now I have to decide on a color! Is there any particular online retailer you guys usually use, or should I just take my chances on eBay?

·
Registered
533 Posts
deff get the SS on bracelet. It is the quintessential budget pilot watch IMHO. I probably wouldn't buy off of ebay but that's just me. I think I saw them on overstock or amazon for pretty cheap. Princetonwatches has them too. I find they are usually a little more then some of the budget shops but they are a certified dealer if I remember right and they have good service. Best of luck. :-!

Here is me sporting mine. Has served me very well.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Thank you! Man, all you people are evil. I've got the bug now, I can't stop cruising eBay. It must be mine! But now I have to decide on a color! Is there any particular online retailer you guys usually use, or should I just take my chances on eBay?
Last time I checked www.superchrono.com had them for great prices :-!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts