WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first post here on this site from an obsession which I've seen grow very fast, and in my downtime is now visited and read with some absolute fervor.
I started off owning and wearing a single watch; a Rolex Submariner (16610) I got for a birthday by my family, which sadly broke as I was on assignment in East Africa (I'm a professional photographer) only a few weeks ago (it's since been repaired). While time-less I convinced a jouralist I met to sell me a watch he had been lugging around saving as a present until he got home to his brother; a Deep Blue Juggernaut. I'm a complete watch-noob, but for what I was just going to use as a stop-gap until I got mine repaired, it started to tickle my fancy...

This has led to me being home and getting a Seiko Orange Monster (I'm in love), and now an absolute obsessive researching and reading to continue my (I am now quick to admit) obsession.

I just wanted to say hello to you all, and to thank you for leading me to the OM ('love' doesn't begin to express what I feel for it!), in my job a rugged construction is a must! If any of you might be able to suggest a watch similar to the OM, since I am still new to this world...I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,345 Posts
If you loved the OM, you'll love the SKX007. Different style, but still iconic in an understated way. Same Seiko movement.

SKX007woo.jpg
(my 007 on a fake Bond NATO)

Here's a thread about the SKX007's durability:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-skx007-durability-598292.html

I used to own a Monster, but now this is my favorite go-to watch.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the obsession! I'm drawn to the 007 as well. I think I've been reading WUS too much

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The 007 looks damn smooth with the SS solid-end links bracelet, and definitely looks like it can take a beating!
Slightly more understated than the orange, like you said ;-)
Just interested, why did you sell the monster for this one?

I think I'm losing the battle with the Snow Monster too (for when the orange dial is needed to be toned down to a subtle white!)...I can see this problem getting as bad as my camera collection -_-

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Welcome. It seems you may gravitate towards dive watches. The Seiko Monster is unique......it's unique in design, very well-made and very affordable, and seems to be in many collections that have watches costing 20 times more.

For unique diver design, and of course affordable, from Seiko, you may also like the Seiko SNM035 SNM037 aka Land Monster or SKZ211 aka Atlas, Land Shark. There is also the very popular Seiko SRP043 aka SPORK, which is not so unique, actually borrowed style, harder to find now, considered a little nicer than those other divers

You mentioned you bought a Deep Blue? which is a sort of a "boutique" diver brand.......boutique brand divers would be the next thing to look at ..brands like Helson, Halios, Armida, Ocean 7, Orange Watch Co, etc

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,345 Posts
The 007 looks damn smooth with the SS solid-end links bracelet, and definitely looks like it can take a beating!
Slightly more understated than the orange, like you said ;)
Just interested, why did you sell the monster for this one?

I think I'm losing the battle with the Snow Monster too (for when the orange dial is needed to be toned down to a subtle white!)...I can see this problem getting as bad as my camera collection -_-
I didn't sell the watch. I gave it to my father who works overseas alongside Navy guys.

I knew that he'd be working under some pretty tough environments and plenty of water, so I figured the OM would be his best partner. The funny thing is that he hated how "heavy" the watch was at first, but has gradually come to appreciate it. I'll miss the Monster. It was perhaps the only watch I've owned that anyone has really noticed. Girls love the orange dial!

Another watch that's perhaps a bit bigger than the Monster and with some military watch mixed in is the Seiko Spork:

Sporkonchronissimo1.jpg (mine on Chronissimo strap)

The dial on this watch is larger than the Monster's and it's chunky, albeit in a refined way. Sort of a mix between the Monster and 007, without sharing the same movement.

By the way, I've seen some folks at the Seiko Section mod their stock OM into a convincing Snow Monster. I think you can save more money this way.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
nice story, Seiko's... there's always something about them... the OM/BM have their own stage in this watches world, congratulations, enjoy it and wear it in good health!

PS./ don't miss the opportunity to try a good Russian watch such as VOSTOK's; magic, Russian spell... I don't know, what I do know is that you end up wanting them all...

good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome. It seems you may gravitate towards dive watches. The Seiko Monster is unique......it's unique in design, very well-made and very affordable, and seems to be in many collections that have watches costing 20 times more.

For unique diver design, and of course affordable, from Seiko, you may also like the Seiko SNM035 SNM037 aka Land Monster or SKZ211 aka Atlas, Land Shark. There is also the very popular Seiko SRP043 aka SPORK, which is not so unique, actually borrowed style, harder to find now, considered a little nicer than those other divers

You mentioned you bought a Deep Blue? which is a sort of a "boutique" diver brand.......boutique brand divers would be the next thing to look at ..brands like Helson, Halios, Armida, Ocean 7, Orange Watch Co, etc
The Deep Blue was something I haven't ever heard of, it was purely a case of right place, right time (excuse the pun). I've checked out the company and watches after using it, and for the price it was a rather nice one. After wearing that for some time I've come to appreciate the weight and size of a slightly larger watch, hence the OM! The dive watches are a seemingly growing passion. I do spend a lot of my down-time in the water (free-diver and SCUBA), but above and beyond all of the needs, they just need to be able to take some knocks due to the locations I get sent to (conflict photojournalism)

I'm home for the next two weeks before setting off again, and I'm already wondering just how many I'll end up buying in that time!
Now the research is some of the other 'boutique' firms you've listed!

(the snow monster is still staring at me from an-ever-present-open-window, damn that nice white finish)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My favorite brands are Rolex/Tudor and Seiko so I know what your going through. Enjoy your monster and your 16610 in the best of health.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
welcome aboard! I must say, you have one of the most intriguing starts to a watch obsession...I mean "collection." From a Rolex that broke in East Africa (I'm really curious as to how - most of East Africa is described as "hungry" or "pirates" or "hungry pirates") to Deep Blue to Seiko....

Since your a photographer/diver, maybe your next choice should be another Deep Blue - T25. Quartz, no complications so it'll be damn easy to fix (just swap out the movement) if you ever get caught on assignment, real solid construction and tritium tubes. Plus it's somewhat of a limited edition since they keep selling out and getting replaced by slightly tweaked new versions.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Avoid the dive watch sub forum at all costs, it has cost me more money than I'd care to recollect... but it was money happily spent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts