WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Gunnar for the updates and useful info. I suspected I would probably have to travel overseas although maybe I was hoping for some miracle way to find one here in Aus... and i guess i'd probably be willing to wait 6-12 months if that was an option but I haven't even been able to get on or anywhere near a waiting list here at home.

Thanks Dan, the salesman from Kennedy Rolex boutique at the star told me i'd have a better chance if I had been a customer in the past, and i'd like to build up some rapport, but it's hard when they don't really want your business.

Appreciate all the replies.. It's kind of a special watch purchase for me so I'll hold out for a new one at this stage before considering the used market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you tried Chrono24? They have several on their site from all over. Not sure if shipping to Australia or duty/taxes are going to add a ton of money to the price, but for example there's a brand new BLNR in a shop in New York for $9200.

·
Registered
29,578 Posts
I put my name on waiting lists a bit over 12 months ago, I'm still waiting. The ADs were all really nice and friendly and took my name down but all said they were unaware of when they would get one.

The worst of the bunch was Rolex Boutique who didn't even bother putting my name on a list. As a side note on a previous instance the same store only became willing to deal with me when they noticed I had a JLC on. I walked out on principle.

From my experiences buying watches in Sydney, the best store in Sydney to deal with is Watches of Switzerland, unfortunately they don't sell Rolex.

The Watch Gallery in Melbourne gets second hand ones in from time to time. They just sold one there though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have you tried Chrono24? They have several on their site from all over. Not sure if shipping to Australia or duty/taxes are going to add a ton of money to the price, but for example there's a brand new BLNR in a shop in New York for $9200.
Yeah i've been browsing but ordering online from overseas will more than likely add a few thousand to the price in taxes etc. Plus when spending that sort of coin on a watch I like to go to the store and try it on / pick it up.

I put my name on waiting lists a bit over 12 months ago, I'm still waiting. The ADs were all really nice and friendly and took my name down but all said they were unaware of when they would get one.

The worst of the bunch was Rolex Boutique who didn't even bother putting my name on a list. As a side note on a previous instance the same store only became willing to deal with me when they noticed I had a JLC on. I walked out on principle.

From my experiences buying watches in Sydney, the best store in Sydney to deal with is Watches of Switzerland, unfortunately they don't sell Rolex.

The Watch Gallery in Melbourne gets second hand ones in from time to time. They just sold one there though.
Yeah the Rolex Boutique was definitely the worst of the bunch, and the sister store at the Star was even worse.

The guys at 'Swiss Concept' and 'The Hour Glass' were OK and the sales lady at J Farren Price was quite nice and helpful..

If I was to buy from Australia somehow I'd be happy dealing with J Farren Price, they seemed to want the business and were friendly enough to provide all the information required.

Just wish there was some way I could get on a list so at least my name is there whilst I search the Globe.

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I thought Hong Kong would be typically more expensive when buying a watch taking into account bank transfer fees then customs fees on arrival, not sure if that's a thing.

I think the boutique in Martin Place has a waiting list, not sure about others,

If I were you I would put my name down on a list, at least that's a proactive step, you could always change your mind if your situation changes
I always use my 28 degrees credit card when travelling, no transaction fees, and MasterCard has pretty good exchange rates, better than cash exchange places.

As for customs, guess that depends on whether you declare when you arrive back here. I wouldn't recommend it, but I know many just wear the watch through customs. It is no different to all the watch stores in Australia constantly reminding me that if I'm travelling, I can claim back GST on the way out, without mentioning the legality of not declaring on the way back in

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I thought Hong Kong would be typically more expensive when buying a watch taking into account bank transfer fees then customs fees on arrival, not sure if that's a thing.

I think the boutique in Martin Place has a waiting list, not sure about others,

If I were you I would put my name down on a list, at least that's a proactive step, you could always change your mind if your situation changes
Yeah i've tried and tried again to get my name on a list. Problem is they won't allow anybody to get on the list as they apparently have "too much" interest..

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Thanks Gunnar for the updates and useful info. I suspected I would probably have to travel overseas although maybe I was hoping for some miracle way to find one here in Aus... and i guess i'd probably be willing to wait 6-12 months if that was an option but I haven't even been able to get on or anywhere near a waiting list here at home.

Thanks Dan, the salesman from Kennedy Rolex boutique at the star told me i'd have a better chance if I had been a customer in the past, and i'd like to build up some rapport, but it's hard when they don't really want your business.

Appreciate all the replies.. It's kind of a special watch purchase for me so I'll hold out for a new one at this stage before considering the used market.

When I was living in Japan, almost every other foreigner I ran into there was Australian. Tokyo is awesome for watch shopping, and if you take your passport with you, there are several places that do not tax--of course you'd have to pay taxes in Oz upon return, but the taxman always gets his (unless you're like me and live ~45 minutes from a luxury mall in a no-sales-tax state). There are some great deals to be had in Ginza--perhaps not on Rolex, I wasn't really shopping for serious while I was there. The only Rolex I tried on was the new Daytona, which was going for around $18,000, which is ridiculous for a $12,000 watch. But some of the deals on watches like Omegas, Breitlings, TAG Heuers (I was so close to buying a blue dial Monaco while I was there, it was like $3,000 at then-current FX rates) were so good they were difficult to pass up. Plus, Tokyo is awesome, it would be an overall great trip.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm not sure if overseas AD's will ship internationally but i suspect it would be a lot more expensive as i'd have to pay local taxes as well as import duties... not to mention the risk of loosing the watch.

Maybe i'll have to take a trip.. but even then there's no guarantee i'll find one... can anyone provide a location where stock seems to be plentiful? maybe London or italy?

I bought my BLNR from the 5th Ave. boutique in New York City. I was there in January, and they had one available to try on. When I decided to buy in April, they added my name to a waitlist and took a $500 deposit. They had a watch for me within a week. At the time they told me that they receive shipments from Rolex weekly and usually received at least one BLNR.

I don't live in New York, and the sales associate I worked with told me that they'll only ship a watch to you if you've physically been in the store. And I don't know if they'll ship outside the USA at all.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm not sure if overseas AD's will ship internationally but i suspect it would be a lot more expensive as i'd have to pay local taxes as well as import duties... not to mention the risk of loosing the watch.
You'll have to pay tax anyway, either directly to customs if you import it or built into the cost when you buy it from the local AD. The trick is to find an overseas market that has high taxes that you can claim back or is credited at the sale point and then pay the comparatively lower tax in Australia when you land it. With respect to transit loss, just use the safest mean possible - it will cost more but it will get to you.

Anyway, here is a brand new LN available in Sydney for AU$10,850. Not sure about the warranty arrangements, but they are worth negotiating on. It's not mine but PM me if interested. Alternatively, I see a new one available from a respected US grey market dealer for the equivalent of AU$9650. With costs added, I would lean towards the Aussie one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I bought my BLNR from the 5th Ave. boutique in New York City. I was there in January, and they had one available to try on. When I decided to buy in April, they added my name to a waitlist and took a $500 deposit. They had a watch for me within a week. At the time they told me that they receive shipments from Rolex weekly and usually received at least one BLNR.

I don't live in New York, and the sales associate I worked with told me that they'll only ship a watch to you if you've physically been in the store. And I don't know if they'll ship outside the USA at all.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your search!
I was actually in New York in January also.. just wasn't in a position to pull the trigger just yet then unfortunately..

So I think i'm pretty much decided on a BLNR, the only thing that has been putting me off is it's limited availability.. but after reading all the comments I think I might be able to find one somewhere if I expand my horizons internationally..

Anyway I figure at least if I buy a BLNR first and then decide I prefer the LN it will be a lot easier to flip the BLNR and get an LN than the other way around.

Thanks again you have all been great. This is why I love WUS.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Theres also BLNR on bodying.com.au for 13k AUD at your own risk ahem....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Someone check my maths but is part of the issue that the GMT Master is cheap in Sydney v other markets? Retail is 11k AUD, that's approx 8.8k USD - cheaper than US retail and the visitors dump the GST on the way out. So you've got poor supply, low margins for Rolex, demand from foreigners = no watches available.
IMHO - have I missed something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Rolex Watches are surprisingly well-priced in Australia.

Reactions: franksf

·
Registered
38 Posts
While I accept Rolex HQ's stance on economics; supply and demand, the ADs may not have much influence in this matter.

What they DO have influence over is the customer service experience they provide.

I second the OP's frustration over being treated like a pariah when you walk into their store with a fistful of fifties.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
I was at Watches of Switzerland in Perth last Friday (ended up purchasing a Rolex Milgauss) and one of the Customers in there was complaining to them about how ridiculous it is that it's a 3-5 year wait for a Daytona Ceramic, a 2-year wait for a Submariner, etc. He started saying that in New York, there's stock, etc.

He was right in a way, but what can the Salespeople do?

It's beyond them; they are not in charge of Rolex watch allocations.

Of course they would prefer to have stock of the models that everyone wants.

I am a Salesperson (not in the Watch Industry), and it is frustrating to not have the stock that people want.

It is unfortunate that, in Australia, we simply are not high on the priority's list of international brands.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The attitude of the sales people doesn't help either. Why on earth must me we beg and wait and be the subject of their ridicule to spend 5 figures on their products? This is why rolex no matter how good their watches will always be unappealing as a buying proposition to me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm copying and pasting a post (refer below) I recently made on TRF which may be of help to you. I went through the same thing trying to get a BLNR in Melbourne Maybe worth your while looking outside of Sydney. Make a weekend trip out of it to collect in Melbourne and as a bonus the Crown Reward points you earn with the purchase would cover the cost with a night or 2 at one of the Crown hotels !

Got my BLNR in 3 months from the Crown Boutique in Melbourne . Would have had it in 2 months if I had answered their original call. Saw the missed phone number and called them back about 30 minutes later but they had already gone to the next person on their list !!!. Turned out OK in the end, they made sure the next months delivery was mine. It would appear they get the one BLNR per month and it is common for people ahead of you on the list to decline when the AD makes the call making the wait not ridiculously long . Had a good experience picking it up and would recommend them. I wasn't an existing customer of theirs and they did tell me they just go by the order they take the names.....as it should be with no preference to VIP's or big spending customers.
Forget The Hour Glass in Melbourne ...they pretty much laughed at me over the phone when I enquired about the BLNR after telling them I had not bought anything from them previously.
Watches of Switzerland (Melbourne) also a very difficult process, very reluctant to even take your name down. I'm not sure that I even made it on to their list (I think they have a waiting list to get on their offical waiting list !)
See how you go with Crown, I did have to go into their store to put my name down. Another bonus is you essentially get a 5% discount if you join the Crown Rewards program (which is free) by recouping the reward points you get with the purchase.
Good luck....and by the way I am in love with my BLNR !! In the end the hunt makes it even more rewarding once it is on your wrist

21 - 40 of 44 Posts