WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS: Rare vintage Sicura (see Breitling) ref. 9802 chronograph with Lemania cal. 1340 & silver dial

Sicura was the firm of Ernest Schneider who bought Breitling in 1979 (AFAIK the company is still owned by the Schneider family up to this day).
This case style, with the reference no. 9802, was produced by the Lemania company from around 1972 (when the cal. 1340 was first introduced) bearing the name of a variety of brands (Lemania and Sinn were amongst them).

The watch that you see here is one of the most rare incarnations of the above reference and I do regard it to be a “holy grail” for every serious Sicura collector: A very early (please notice the pointed minute hand and the 3218908 serial number) ref. 9802 silver dial example with the Lemania cal. 1340 movement. To those that know their Lemanias I also do point out a rather seldom seen inconsistency: The dial says “17 jewels” albeit the movement is the cal. 1340 with 22 jewels (practically the same as the Omega cal. 1040 apart from the 24 hour hand and the rhodium plated finish) and not the more common cal. 1341 (with 17 jewels). Anyway, the cal. 1340 but also the silver dial, both crowns, glass, pushers, tritium hands, caseback etc are all the original ones for this watch.

Condition is excellent as you can see in the pictures and the sunburst/polished finish (along with the straight brushed sides) are as they should be. The glass is clear apart from one or two tiny marks that are hardly visible (around one o’ clock). Everything works as it should and the watch has been last serviced by a trusted watchmaker in April 2010 (absolutely no problems since). The watch has not been pressure tested and I doubt that this aspect is useful for any potential collector (I do not immerse my vintage pieces in water for any reason).The watch comes with the vintage black perforated leather strap that you see in the pictures.

The watch is 43mm without crown and has 22mm lugs, lug to lug distance is 41mm.

I am asking 1.450euros with bank wire transfer or Paypal and I will send the watch with EMS traceable shipping anywhere in the world without extra charge.

I consider the above price to be very reasonable bearing in mind:

a) This is a very rare piece (it is the only silver dial example I have ever seen for sale and if you google “Sicura-Lemania” you will most probably get an image of this exact watch) and
b) Sinn intends to charge over 3.600euros for a re-edition of this watch (model 140A, ref. 140.040) albeit with a modified Valjoux cal. 7750 movement. The watch that I am selling is the first and original incarnation of this stunning design, bearing the unrepeatable Lemania cal. 1340.

Thank you for reading an admittedly long ad.;-)

X

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: FS: Rare vintage Sicura (see Breitling) ref. 9802 chronograph with Lemania cal. 1340 & silver di

NEW PRICE: 1.450 euros, Paypal included.

Thanks.

X

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: FS: Rare vintage Sicura (see Breitling) ref. 9802 chronograph with Lemania cal. 1340 & silver di

NEW PRICE: 1.250 euros, Paypal included.

Thanks.

X

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The watch is SOLD.

Thanks Ken and WUS.

X

1 - 4 of 4 Posts