WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinning the herd by offering this very good condition Aquastar Benthos 500 diver from the mid to late 60s. This is the second configuration with bakelite bezel, signed crown and unsigned movement.

The watch is all original except for the crystal and strap, triple signed on dial, crown and caseback. The case measures 42mm, 16mm thick with 20mm lugs. Case appeared to be lightly polished and is in overall good condition with scratches consistent with age, factory brushed finishes are mostly retained. Dial is in flawless condition, with tritium lumes darkening a little by 12/3/6/9 markers; lumes on rest of the hour markers, handsets and the bezel triangle are all matching with nice yellow patina. The bakelite bezel is in very good condition without major dings/dents. The lume triangle is "suspended" in the bezel which is super cool. The bezel rotates counter-clockwise. Caseback is marked "1002" and "6030014", probably the case reference and serial number.

The center orange hand is an elapsed minute counter and is activated by pushing the pusher at 4 o'clock. Once activated, the hand will start elapsing from 12 o'clock for 60 minutes, and will stop at 12 o'clock. so technically this is also chronograph. Time can be adjusted by 2 o'clock screw-down crown. Movement is AS 2162 that was modified to add the centered minute counter, hackable and beats at 28800 bph.

The watch movement received a complete overhaul in March 2018. A new 4mm glass crystal was also custom made by my watchmaker that follows the exact spec of the original crystal. My watchmaker guarantees the movement problem free until April 2019 given the watch is not misused. Copy of the overhaul receipt will be provided to potential buyer to prove service history. Although the watch was originally rated at 500M waterproofed, it was not waterproof tested during the overhaul so I would not take it near water. My pictures also serve as descriptions of the watch I may have missed. No return accepted unless the watch received is not as described.

If you have been eyeing a benthos 500, you know how hard it is to have a clean crystal, a clean dial with all lumes intact, a nice bezel, a clean orange hand and a perfectly working minute counter. Not to mention the movement has been serviced and 5 months of warranty remains. So don't miss out.

My price is $2750, 2-day insured shipping included in the US, PayPal gift option preferred but PayPal with fee is also considered from reputable members. PayPal fee is extra. Face to face is welcome in the Los Angeles area. Not looking for any trades and I prefer a US sale. As always, lowball offers will be politely ignored. Plenty positive feedback on the forum and I expect the same from buyer. Happy to answer any questions and thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
SOLD! Thanks WUS and buyer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts