WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Up for sale is this 100% genuine Royal Australian Air Force-issued Jaeger-LeCoultre Mark XI with Near Mint dial in overall Excellent original condition. This often-imitated but never-equaled iconic Cold War navigators' watch dates from 1953 and is one of only approximately 600 issued to the Australian Air Force according to the best available info. It features the legendary JLC manual winding cal. 488Sbr center seconds with hack setting function and Breguet overcoil. The JLC Mark XI was produced in far fewer numbers than the IWC Mk XI and the issued Aussie version is even rarer still, so this is a terrific opportunity to own a truly elite MilWatch. As a bonus, I am including a correct large link Bonklip bracelet as part of the sale for that real period pilot look.

The asking price for this all-time great JLC Mark XI in wonderful original condition is $5750 USD, which includes fully insured FedEx shipping worldwide. Payment by Bank Wire strongly preferred. Other payment options upon application. Payment must be made in US DOLLARS. Watch will ship upon full clearance of the funds, as well as any necessary bank vetting.

>>>Click Here for Large Dial Scan

CASE: Classic stainless steel 35 x 47mm case has a very clean satin finish, showing some wear and minor scratches, mainly to the sides. It is easily in Excellent vintage condition overall for an issued watch and remarkably does not look to have ever been polished, which is damn rare at this late date in the watch's life. The inner case is corrosion-free and of course the anti-magnetic dustcover is also present and in perfect condition. The broad, two-step bezel is likewise Excellent with only scratches and no significant dings-due to their case design, these JLC's actually wear bigger than the IWCs, IMO. Also note that these RAAF version do not have fixed spring bars like their RAF cousins-as is normal, this example has factory drilled lugs, which makes changing to conventional straps both possible and easy, giving it far more versatility than a fixed lug version.

CASEBACK: The screw in water-resistant caseback is Excellent with only a couple of tool marks. It is fully hallmarked with the Broad Arrow, RAAF Store Reference Number, Year of Issue & Serial Number (actual issue number has been has been digitally obscured for security reasons)--note the correct fonts for 1953. . The inner caseback is corrosion free and has all proper LeCoultre markings.

DIAL & HANDS: Near Mint condition original matte black dial with what appears to me to be the original MOD luminous (texture is quite granular under a loupe) and some light spotting/speckling visible on the surface. Correct "flat 3" found on the RAAF models. Original distinctive flat steel hour & pointed minute hands have darker brown original aged luminous and some light corrosion, Excellent original condition. The sweep seconds is the correct RAAF painted version and is also Excellent. The luminous material on this Mk XI dial still glows briefly after light exposure, which seems to be the norm for this MOD-applied lume in my experience.

CROWN: Original oversized unsigned knurled aviator's crown winds and pulls out to the hacking time-set position as it should. It is the correct RAAF-modified version with external gasket on the tube.

CRYSTAL: Correct flat no-bevel acrylic crystal is Excellent with only a few minor scratches and no cracks.

MOVEMENT: Fabled JLC cal. 488Sbr center seconds hacking manual wind movement with Breguet overcoil looking pristine with its Geneva Waves shining and keeping very good time with a strong power reserve. While this movement did not come with shock protection at this time, this caliber is considered to be one of the best ever produced by any manufacturer. The serial number on this movement dates it to the production year of 1949, which is correct for one of the two movement batches found in RAAF JLC Mk XIs, the other being 1953. I do not know the service history of this watch and so cannot guarantee that it will not need service in future but of course I will guarantee that it is in good working order upon shipment and it has always worked great for me and kept fine time.

BRACELET/BAND: This great aviator's chronometer with conventional springbars will be provided with a period correct Bonklip bracelet in Excellent used condition. It is the wide link version not the small link and will fit pretty much any wrist size out there with its patented tension fit clasp adjustment. It even comes with its original cardboard backing!
Additionally, I am providing a lovely brown Rios padded leather strap that looks great for everyday wear. This classic MilWatch takes straps with 17mm ends.

I make NO guarantees for the water resistance of this watch in any way, shape or form.

This great JLC Mark XI is offered with a 3-day inspection period from the date of receipt and may be returned for a full refund (less any shipping costs incurred by the buyer). This refund is unconditional and once I get the watch back in exactly the same condition as it was sent to you, your money will be refunded. Of course, once the 3 days are over the sale will be considered FINAL.

Thanks for looking,
T.
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts