WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
My Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Phase de Lune Tonneau uses their ML39 caliber, which is a top-grade 2824 (with some additional decoration) coupled to a DD-9000 calendar module:

My only issue with the decoration of the above is that the blued screws don't seem to be really heat-blued--the slots are not blue in most cases. The watch has been serviced, so all those screws will have been removed. But many 2824's are standard-grade and lack all the perlage, etc.

And I have a number of watches that use top or chronometer-grade 2892-A2's, including:

Ebel 1911 Chronometer
Ebel Classic Hexagon Dual Time (with tt651 module for big date and second timezone sub-dial)
Ebel Brasilia (two of these, one with a white dial and bracelet, and the other with a black dial on alligator)
Ebel Sportwave Aquatica 500, with no date (though I heard the date mechanism clicking at midnight, so at least some of it is there)

All of these are accurate (better than +/-5 seconds/day on any one day or on average). Ebel's with the caliber 120 (digits 2-4 in their reference number) are 2892-A2 movements. Their calibers 301 and 303 are also 2892's, but have Technotime modules for reserve de marche, retrograde date, or dual-time complications. Their caliber 123 is a 2893 (GMT), and their caliber 124 is a 2894 (with chronograph module). Ebel, as a premium etablisseur, isn't shy about demanding good movements, and they have used movements from Zenith and Girard-Perregaux during the time that they were also using the 2892.

Ebels are available at Movado Company Stores, if you live near one, for extremely low prices relative to other brands.

Rick "noting that Ebel didn't put display backs on their caliber 120 watches, though" Denney

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Is it time for an inhouse movement snob bash?
I will let you know after the 14th on that...I'm taking my NOS Jaquet Droz in for a cleaning
and oiling and it's In-House. It might be $$$$$$$$$$! After this I might only buy ETA's.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
back to the regular schedule.

the Omega 1110 (1109?) is also a 2892 so that means the older 200m Seamaster is also a contender. While I don't like the modern 300m Seamaster Pro that much I do like the older one.
(yes yes, I know this is the quartz model but it's one of the better photos of the watch in general)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I love the view you get of the 2892 in the Hamilton Intra-Matic. It's a really great looking classic-sized watch. If I ever get a real job again it's on my list.

IMG_2919.jpg

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
Liked this one . . .

Attachments

Reactions: Watchbreath

·
Registered
4,452 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, the 2892 is the difficult one to track down.
Omega 1120 is the easiest to find but I'm not really a fan of the Seamaster Pro or the Constellations that they came in.

The 1990s TAGHeuer Chronometer (6000, S/El, Link and Kirium) watches used 2892 movements but I'm not sure if they were A2 as I have it in my head that the A2 came around 1999/2000 and some of the TAGHeuer watches that came in Chronometer grade pre-dates that.

Ball watches use the 2892A2.

They're the ones that are in my 2892 radar.
I like the look of some of the offerings from Ball so I'll have to check out what level of Movt. they offer. I reckon I have the Dress and Chrono areas covered so I want something a little different. A Pilot or an Engineer or something with a power reserve or other sort of interesting complication to set it appart!

I'm not sure but I'll know it when I see it. Like when I saw the Stowa! That was it. :-!

There are plenty of 2nd hand shops where I can check out older Tags and Omegas but I'll have no idea what drives them! I might have to post pics and have them identified here!

Ita

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
go with another VSA... the dive master 500 to complete the 2892 search.
I would in an instant, but I want brand variety...

Ita

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My Baume and Mercier Hamton Annual Calendar uses an ETA 2892-A2, paired with a Dubois-Depraz big-date annual calendar module. It's common to see the ETA 2892-A2 paired with complication modules, so that might help your search.

Beautiful... But I would assume it to be way outa my $$$ range...

Ita

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I have often found these sites helpful regarding ETA movements:

ETA Mechanical Watch Movements
ETA watch movements
ETA automatic workhorses, the 2824 and 2892 « Bernard Watch Blog
ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse: Mechanical movements - ETA's mechanical movements at a glance (pdf catalog available)
ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse: Quartz movements - ETA's quartz movements at a glance (pdf catalog available)
Thanks Tony.

and thanks for all the other suggestions. I have plenty of surfing to do. Ebel and Hamilton are on the list..

Ita

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I would in an instant, but I want brand variety...

Ita
go with another VSA... the dive master 500 to complete the 2892 search.
Ya know Memphis1 you may have nailed it... Yes I want brand variety, but I also want quality and accuracy. That is why a TOP or Chronometer Grade Movt. was in my sights.

But as you say VSA seem to meet this criteria (sort of). I'm not sure what level of Movt.s they use or if they are adjusted, but it seems (along with my 7750 based VSA at +1.6spd) all owner reviews I've read on VSA Mechanicals have them within COSC specs! Add that to my VSA personal quality experience and the fact that the Dive Master 500 has a display back (big tick) and is available on GM sites at less than half what ADs want for it here in Oz (big tick) means it's rising to the top!

I still have Omega 1100s and even 2500s in my sights along with TAG cal 7, and some Longines and Oris variations....

I essentially want new, but used is fine for the right watch. I would love a display back with a decorated TOP or Chronomter Movt. but very hard to find in a watch that catches my eye!

Since I first posted my Stowa Marine (2824-2 TOP) has arrived and has settled into a brillinat +3spd so my ETA fever is fueled even more for a 2829-A2. In the mean time I have ordered a "Hawthorn" (Miyota 8205 Day-Date) from the Melbourne Watch Company Kickstarter program, just the ease the ITCH!!!!!!!

DAMN this ITCH!!! LOL

Ita

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Have you had a look at Union Glashutte watches? A lot of them are using either the 2892 or a derivative.

There's a solitary official dealer in London and I've been liking what I've seen.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts