WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It' very common for affordable or lower end watches to come with awful metal bracelets or in the case of divers sometimes rubber straps.

A good example of this is the Seiko SKX007 (and SKX009) - the jubilee bracelet is AWFUL!!!

A really cool cheap alternative to this issue are NATO Straps!

I wrote a getting started guide for NATO Straps on my blog including where you can get a hold of one as well as a brief history etc.

You can check that out here - TheWatchFace's Guide for NATO Straps - TheWatchFace

Just wanted to share this resource with the watchuseek community! :) Please tell me what you think!:-!

image1-2-768x576.jpeg
citizen_kahuna_nato-768x576.jpeg

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have a few NATO's that I enjoy wearing occasionally, but I strongly disagree that they are the "best" choice for affordable watches (whatever that actually is) or any watch for that matter, including non-affordable models.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few NATO's that I enjoy wearing occasionally, but I strongly disagree that they are the "best" choice for affordable watches (whatever that actually is) or any watch for that matter, including non-affordable models.
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Sounds good, and yeah they are definitely not perfect for all situations, but for casual wear especially on diver's watches I find them perfect!

My opinion though. Thanks for your thoughts! :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
this is coming from one of the bigger nato fanatics...

i see the role of natos as a change of pace, not the best option for watches. i still subscribe to the f71 'buy on bracelet so you have options later' mantra. that said, a nice nato adds color to any watch and can dress down a watch on the occasions that call for it. i used to wear them more often but moved on to custom straps that serve the same functions (jazz up an affordable watch) while giving options. definitely a nice color option in sunny southern california, but careful shopping for straps can sometimes give a better effect.

(that said, i still have a slew of natos on deck for the occasion!)

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is coming from one of the bigger nato fanatics...

i see the role of natos as a change of pace, not the best option for watches. i still subscribe to the f71 'buy on bracelet so you have options later' mantra. that said, a nice nato adds color to any watch and can dress down a watch on the occasions that call for it. i used to wear them more often but moved on to custom straps that serve the same functions (jazz up an affordable watch) while giving options. definitely a nice color option in sunny southern california, but careful shopping for straps can sometimes give a better effect.

(that said, i still have a slew of natos on deck for the occasion!)
Awesome! :)

Yeah as I said it's definetly not perfect for every situation, but a really cool choice for casual wear and as you said to add a new colour and personality to a watch!

Thanks for the comment!

I am actually planning a similar guide for Perlon watch straps at the moment, so be sure to keep an eye out for that if that may be something that interests you.

Best regards,
Karl

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
NATOs look nice on others but I hate the feel of them and how bulky they are. For divers, IMO heavy mesh is a better choice. High quality ones are avail all day long under $10 on eBay and will last forever.

20160108_085819.jpg

20151022_182432.jpg

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NATOs look nice on others but I hate the feel of them and how bulky they are. For divers, IMO heavy mesh is a better choice. High quality ones are avail all day long under $10 on eBay and will last forever.

View attachment 6614898

View attachment 6614906
Nice watches!! The mesh straps look very cool.

I don't personally have that much experience with mesh straps, but I'll definetly look into them and maybe I'll even write an article about them for my blog one day!

Thanks for the comment! :)

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I do like Natos. But like everything, there are no absolutes. Natos can look great on chronos, military, pilot and dive watches. They look awful on most dress watches.

I always buy watches on bracelet when I can, so I can swap between the bracelet and other options (usually leather straps or Natos).

And I disagree totally about the SKX jubilee. It's very lightweight and comfortable and, if you adjust it right, there's minimal rattle. I suspect most people don't spend the time adjusting it properly and giving it a go.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I'm a bracelet guy and NATOs are my only alternative. They can look great in any watch, only problem is they are not practical with tight sleeves in winter time but if its warm enough for short sleeves then its only NATOs for me.

I strongly disagree though with you urging the reader not to try leather NATOs. They can also look uber cool and very useful for a more formal occasion when you dont have a bracelet or a strap near by or enough time to change them.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do like Natos. But like everything, there are no absolutes. Natos can look great on chronos, military, pilot and dive watches. They look awful on most dress watches.

I always buy watches on bracelet when I can, so I can swap between the bracelet and other options (usually leather straps or Natos).

And I disagree totally about the SKX jubilee. It's very lightweight and comfortable and, if you adjust it right, there's minimal rattle. I suspect most people don't spend the time adjusting it properly and giving it a go.
Very true, but in my personal experience NATOs have worked great on the majority of watches I own (sports watches, so you're absolutely right).

I guess maybe I have done that as well.. I'll be sure to put it on again some day and have a play around and see if I can make it work for me!

Thanks for the comment :)

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm a bracelet guy and NATOs are my only alternative. They can look great in any watch, only problem is they are not practical with tight sleeves in winter time but if its warm enough for short sleeves then its only NATOs for me.

I strongly disagree though with you urging the reader not to try leather NATOs. They can also look uber cool and very useful for a more formal occasion when you dont have a bracelet or a strap near by or enough time to change them.

Nice Sumo (or at least I assume that's what the Seiko is) you have there!! Looks really good on that NATO.

I personally hate leather straps so for the reasons mentioned in the post and some more.. I will always be more of a NATO/Perlon/Bracelet guy!

Thanks for the comment :)

-Karl

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
it took my awhile to learn the NATO ways

I started with Zulus but found them too bulky, then I was diggin the leather Zulus but found the leather to stretch and fit weird, found out my favorite is just the mil spec maratac NATOs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.