WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't need another watch, but I still don't have a full-lume dial. I'm pondering something in the 40mm range, ±2mm. I found a bunch out there. I like some from Aristo. I like the Komandisrskie K34. I like the Momentum Atlas, but I'm not in love with battery-power.

Hoping for Automatic, although solar quartz is OK. I would love to stay under $400, under 42mm, and I want this thing to REALLY GLOW.

Alrighty folks - do any of you have any light to shed on this question? Here's are some samples:

K-34. My favorite so far. A bit big at 42mm. How's the lume?
Komandirskie_K34.jpg

Another favorite in my search, Aristo 3H17R U-Boot, small at 38mm, but that's OK. A bit pricey at $400.
AristoUBoot3H17R-1.jpg

A bunch of other nice Aristo full lumes, 3H41 at 38mm (small), 5H69Ti at 42+ (big)
Aristo_3H41.jpg Aristo5H69Ti.jpg

Aeromatic with a Type B dial - I don't mind Germasian, and the price is right, but how's the lume?
Aeromatic_A1373.jpg

Laco Marine Miyota, big at 42mm, not bad....a bit bland?
LacoMarineMiyota.jpg

A ringer, the Seiko SNZE17, good size at 40mm, great price around $140, probably blindingly bright. :-!
Seiko_SNZE17.jpg

Orient EM7 - I love the design and the price, but too big and has a non-quickset date.
Orient-em7.jpg

The Orient, Seiko and Aeromatic also make the mistake of putting lume on the hands as well as the dial. That just makes them harder to see at night.

Maybe you can talk me into a Momentum after all, despite being battery quartz. I like this Pathfinder alarm, but it's a bit small even for me. :think:

MomentumPathfinder.jpg
I like the Atlas as well...but with the two sizes I'm having trouble finding the right one, 36 or 42?, lume dial or is it white?

Waddya think? Name your favorites, try to convince me! Help me make up my addled mind.
Feel free to suggest some that I haven't shown here. :)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,574 Posts
You know what I say...Momentum Atlas |>

I think Momentum calls it white, and mine is the smaller one, I didn't know they had a 42 but that would have been too big for me. I figured mine was around 38mm. Though I would love that Komandirskie!

·
Registered
167 Posts
How about the full lume dial Citizen NY0040 that has been haunting me for months... Can be had on the auction site for under $150...
(pic courtesy of superchrono)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zippofan

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! Cuffs - I forgot about the Citizen diver, it is a beauty. I'll investigate. For some reason I imagined it was big. Griff - indeed, it's your Atlas and other's that keep pushing buttons, reminding me to fill this gap. I hear that it has quite a strong lume? I might just break down and get another quartz, after all. I just need to figure out the real sizes. IanC - thanks for mentioning a new watch company! That's quite refreshing. Reedsco looks interesting, but I couldn't see a lume-dial version, and indeed you are correct, they're huge at 47mm.

Too many choices, as usual, but isn't that the joy of it?

Reactions: rcrow

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think I remember you being not much of a diver watch kinda guy, but I would recommend the Citizen NY0040 - it's a reasonable size and thickness for a functional diver, looks great on NATO, and it's like having a little flashlight when the lume is fully charged. My first choice would also be the K-34, I love those. Everything "just works" with that watch. I really like that Naco, though! :-!

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps I'm getting confused about the Momentum Atlas sizes because of with/without crown measurements. It seems it's both 36 and 41mm at the same time:

MomentumAtlas.jpg

But, as I look at the Atlas, I realize it's way to close to my Citizen BM6400, so I think I'll omit it only because of redundancy.

CitiBM6400Wr3.jpg

Maybe the Komandirskie has the edge still, but I would love to hear more about it's lume.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I remember you being not much of a diver watch kinda guy, but I would recommend the Citizen...
Oh, I like divers, I just prefer them a bit smaller than some of people's faves shown here on f71. I already have a Mako, SeaShark, and Hager Commando, so I'm pretty set for 'subbies. I think the military/pilot style is calling my name this time around. That K34 has been screaming my name for months, however...

·
11,610 Posts
This Zeno is listed at 42.5mm, I got it in a trade....

Reactions: curiousMan

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great lume shot, Gary! That Zeno is a beauty. I'm guessing it's a Ronda quartz? Alas, yet another lume-dial watch that also uses luminous hands, something I never quite understood.

I know there are a few K-34s out there (Arktika, DM71) - can anyone tell me how good is its lume?

·
11,610 Posts
Great lume shot, Gary! That Zeno is a beauty. I'm guessing it's a Ronda quartz? Alas, yet another lume-dial watch that also uses luminous hands, something I never quite understood.

I know there are a few K-34s out there (Arktika, DM71) - can anyone tell me how good is its lume?
Not sure if it's a Ronda or not the ad hype says 'Swiss Cal. 0S20 quartz chronograph movement', I thought an OS20 was a Miyota....I'll have to open it up I guess.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if it's a Ronda or not the ad hype says 'Swiss Cal. 0S20 quartz chronograph movement', I thought an OS20 was a Miyota....I'll have to open it up I guess.
Thanks, Gary - no worries. I guess I was just assuming they would use a Swiss quartz, but I think Miyota is just fine. By no means am I a Swissnob. ;-)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Maybe you can talk me into a Momentum after all, despite being battery quartz. I like this Pathfinder alarm, but it's a bit small even for me. :think:

View attachment 559463
Don't trust Amazon for dimensions. The first Pathfinder I looked at said 35mm, but the second said 40mm, and the proportions for band/case dimension make sense for the latter. You'd want to look elsewhere for confirmation.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't trust Amazon for dimensions. The first Pathfinder I looked at said 35mm, but the second said 40mm, and the proportions for band/case dimension make sense for the latter. You'd want to look elsewhere for confirmation.
How true, indeed. That's why I search for those helpful "measurement" photos. I was trying to learn the true dimensions of Bulova Precisionist models for months, as the Amazon page said things like "23mm" and other nonsense. :roll:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I was trying to learn the true dimensions of Bulova Precisionist models for months
Too fricking big is, unfortunately, the answer to that one.

You are going to have to give in and buy a K-34 sometime....

There are a couple of Orients that you didn't mention, but

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's why I search for those helpful "measurement" photos.
Those are created based on the reported dimensions, which are often wrong. They aren't photographs. They take one of the supplied photos and scale that ruler thingy over it according to the reported dimensions.

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are created based on the reported dimensions, which are often wrong. They aren't photographs. They take one of the supplied photos and scale that ruler thingy over it according to the reported dimensions.
Indeed - Luckily we have this great community of watch nerds with calipers right here on WUS!

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too fricking big is, unfortunately, the answer to that one.
You are going to have to give in and buy a K-34 sometime....
There are a couple of Orients that you didn't mention, but
Hah - yes indeed. I finally held a few Precisionists at Macy's this summer and ... meh. I'll wait for them to release a "vintage" line for old fogies. I really like that movement, though.

As for other full-lume Orients, I'll have to look again but I think the only other one I saw was a bland three-star along the lines of a Seiko 5. You're right, I think the K34 keeps pestering me.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hah - yes indeed. I finally held a few Precisionists at Macy's this summer and ... meh. I'll wait for them to release a "vintage" line for old fogies. I really like that movement, though.

As for other full-lume Orients, I'll have to look again but I think the only other one I saw was a bland three-star along the lines of a Seiko 5. You're right, I think the K34 keeps pestering me.
I meant to go back and edit the "other full lume orients". There was one of the non-Mako divers, but it appears to be gone. There is also the Mako XL, but that isn't the style, or size you are looking for this time.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts