WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I came across a gentlemen who polished the shroud on a SUN019. That left me wondering how a fully polished 019 would look. Last night I busted out the Dremel, cloth polishing wheels, polishing compound, and Franziskaner. Several hours later, magic!

What I did:

1) Removed the bracelet from the shroud (easy w/drilled lugs).
2) Removed the shroud from the movement (1.5 mm hex).
3) Removed the clasp from the bracelet.
4) Completely disassembled the bracelet (careful - some of the pins / collars are specific to the wider links).
5) Polished the bejeezus out of the shroud, each individual link, and the clasp with the Dremel and polishing compound.
6) Cleaned the parts in a bowl with a bit of dish soap, water, and a toothbrush.
7) Reassembled the entire lot.

Here are some photos of the finished product:

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.31.53 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.32.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.32.31 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.32.42 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.33.38 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.34.05 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.38.24 PM.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow, pretty ambitious! I'm guessing the same tools/techniques would take the scratches out a typical Seiko polished case, no? Enjoy your unique SUN019!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, rubbing and polishing compounds vary from extra fine to course, like sandpaper. You can usually work out physical defects with patience.

I think I posted a thread on my SKX009 case restoration somewhere a while back. I'll look for the link later.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not my cup of tea, but you did an excellent job!

Reactions: SunnyDaze

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that takes quite some elbow grease!

I can't say I'm a fan of the final result, but I admire the creativity and determination.
Oh, I'm sure there are plenty out there who won't be a fan of the finish!

And yeah, luckily I'm off for a few weeks so I've got the time!

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Besides, if I start to not like the finish, I can just re-brush it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a machine shop.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Looks way better in the pics than I thought reading the thread title. To each his own, and nice work! Enjoy it! Probably won't see too many/any like it.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks way better in the pics than I thought reading the thread title. To each his own, and nice work! Enjoy it! Probably won't see too many/any like it.
Thanks (I think)! :)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
That's quite the effort! Enjoy it :-!

I have to say though, I too am not a fan because I love the SUN019 specifically for the nice brushed lines of the shroud/case. But like others have mentioned, I do admire your courage/creativity!

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
Looks great to me...in fact if it came like that, I may have bought 019 instead of a 023!

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I applaud your creative efforts, and looks like you did a remarkable job! I personally prefer a nice balance of brush and polished surfaces on my watches. When I first received my SUN019; the first thing that I did before even wearing it was to brush out the polished center links on the bracelet. Then discovered that wearing it on the bracelet made the watch too heavy for my tastes. I love it on a Zulu strap, and have been wearing it like that ever since.

Thank you for sharing your polishing job, you have a unique looking watch. : )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts