1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Rolex 116000 36mm Oyster Perpetual with Red Grape Dial and Rolex Milgauss with White Dial.

Reactions: govbergwatches

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
First time I've ever seen "fun" and "Rolex" used together...

Reactions: 6R15

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I actually came across the Cellini Prince a few weeks ago for the first time when I was avariciously reading everything I could about Rolex and Rolexes while I was waiting to pick up my Sub. A gorgeous watch for sure, I'd love to have one. Hodinkee had an article about it a couple of years ago (I was reading some articles about vintage Submariners when the article was linked at the bottom, so I clicked on it).

I'd love to try one on. I'm a big fan of rectangular dressy and dress watches, like the JLC Reverso or the Patek Gondolo, but I've found that the Reverso doesn't really fit my wrist right and the Gondolo's price doesn't seem to fit my wallet right. Although, with videos like this, the rarity of the watch, and the Hodinkee article, I'm not liking my prospects for actually getting one in the future.

As for the Yachtmaster, and it's not fair to Rolex, is that 15 years or so ago I got a Seiko Perpetual Calendar that was basically an "homage" to the Yachmaster. Looked exactly the same. It was okay--not a piece of junk that the Seiko I had before it was, but as I recall the date mechanism on that ended up breaking. But I look at that and I see the cheap Seiko I wore as a teenager.

There's a lot of love for the 80s in this video. Look, I love Miami Vice, The A-Team, Airwolf, and MacGyver as much as or more than the next guy, but I think we can all agree that the style of the 1980s is something best left in the past.

I do love that white dial Milgauss, though. But I think if you're calling the Milgauss, with its lightning bolt seconds hand, no-nonsense, I think you're being a little generous as to what does and doesn't constitute nonsense. The Milgauss is so charming because of its nonsense.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Prince is very unique, we do occasionally get them in our pre-owned inventory but they do tend to sell pretty quickly after posting. Great points about the other models, but who doesn't love a good 80s model? :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on all of them!

I actually came across the Cellini Prince a few weeks ago for the first time when I was avariciously reading everything I could about Rolex and Rolexes while I was waiting to pick up my Sub. A gorgeous watch for sure, I'd love to have one. Hodinkee had an article about it a couple of years ago (I was reading some articles about vintage Submariners when the article was linked at the bottom, so I clicked on it).

I'd love to try one on. I'm a big fan of rectangular dressy and dress watches, like the JLC Reverso or the Patek Gondolo, but I've found that the Reverso doesn't really fit my wrist right and the Gondolo's price doesn't seem to fit my wallet right. Although, with videos like this, the rarity of the watch, and the Hodinkee article, I'm not liking my prospects for actually getting one in the future.

As for the Yachtmaster, and it's not fair to Rolex, is that 15 years or so ago I got a Seiko Perpetual Calendar that was basically an "homage" to the Yachmaster. Looked exactly the same. It was okay--not a piece of junk that the Seiko I had before it was, but as I recall the date mechanism on that ended up breaking. But I look at that and I see the cheap Seiko I wore as a teenager.

There's a lot of love for the 80s in this video. Look, I love Miami Vice, The A-Team, Airwolf, and MacGyver as much as or more than the next guy, but I think we can all agree that the style of the 1980s is something best left in the past.

I do love that white dial Milgauss, though. But I think if you're calling the Milgauss, with its lightning bolt seconds hand, no-nonsense, I think you're being a little generous as to what does and doesn't constitute nonsense. The Milgauss is so charming because of its nonsense.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Rolex Day-Date President is a popular model across the wrists of Presidents and other successful men.

How often do you see it in platinum with a rhodium dial, with diamond and emerald hour markers?

Learn more about this Day-Date 118206 online where we also have a video review of the model! https://www.govbergwatches.com/shop/pre-owned-rolex-day-date-118206-2/

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I remember when first shopping for my first Rolex, like 5 years ago, I was really drawn to the Cellini Prince, and thought it was a bargain for a Rolex PM piece. The AD steered me away from all the Cellini range claiming they're "fragile" and not really a true "Rolex", and I kinda can see why, but at the same time I still hope to own a Cellini Prince someday. Funny I ended up with a Milguass.... I guess I'm not a fan of the "typical" Rolex.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Milgauss is a fantastic model. Which did you end up with?

I remember when first shopping for my first Rolex, like 5 years ago, I was really drawn to the Cellini Prince, and thought it was a bargain for a Rolex PM piece. The AD steered me away from all the Cellini range claiming they're "fragile" and not really a true "Rolex", and I kinda can see why, but at the same time I still hope to own a Cellini Prince someday. Funny I ended up with a Milguass.... I guess I'm not a fan of the "typical" Rolex.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.