WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True story. I thought I would share here. I have been busy lately. Over the years, I have worked in male-dominated fields, and have had good experiences with just being "one of the guys". Or at least, not patronized.

I was brought up short when talking to a local watchmaker (first conversation) on the phone the other day. I need a watch serviced. My go-to watch guy is purely vintage, so I am looking at finding a good shop for my newer watches.

He then asked me, "does your watch have a battery, or do you shake your hand around to wind it?" in the kindest, slowest tone of voice. I chuckled and told him I like to collect watches.
He said "...okay, this is mechanical".

He then asked about the watch and if it had a bracelet. I answered yes. He said that the bracelet could be adjusted on the links. I replied I knew that I could adjust the bracelet and that I had the tools to do this.

He helpfully added that there were pins that needed a special tool to remove the links. I assume he thought I could use a screwdriver.

I found this entire exchange amusing to say the least.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
LauraLovesWatches,
I am sure you get treated differently, as a woman than I would. Glad you enjoy watches with the rest of us! To bad this hobby is not enjoyed by more women. Vance.

Reactions: LauraLovesWatches

·
Registered
118 Posts
It was understanding of you to cut him a break as he was probably choosing words that had proven to not make less knowledgeable customers feel dumb in the past. I suppose he could have asked your experience with watches first and may very well do that next time. We have all been humbled by an unexpected expert at some point in our lives. I'd suspect you will get excellent customer service there in the future!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Interesting. Few thoughts...

It's refreshing to have ladies taking part in the watch hobby. I tried to indoctrinate my kids - the boys were corrupted by me; the girls, not so much.

I am a man in a male-dominated field (construction related), but my co.'s entire senior staff are women. I've witnessed the patronizing & walking-on-eggshells around them. It's definitely tougher for women in these situations. But knowledgeable women put patronizing men in their place pretty quickly.

On the other hand, I just picked up a luxury watch from a familiar AD. I have lots of watches, which I assumed they knew. The salesman starting explaining how to unscrew the crown, "the crown has 3 positions; position 1 is for winding; wind it 40 times..." I politely told him this ain't my first rodeo. He half apologized saying they go over the basics with every one 🤷.

Seems like sometimes it's patronizing, sometimes it's not, and it's not always easy to distinguish which is which.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
True story. I thought I would share here. I have been busy lately. Over the years, I have worked in male-dominated fields, and have had good experiences with just being "one of the guys". Or at least, not patronized.

I was brought up short when talking to a local watchmaker (first conversation) on the phone the other day. I need a watch serviced. My go-to watch guy is purely vintage, so I am looking at finding a good shop for my newer watches.

He then asked me, "does your watch have a battery, or do you shake your hand around to wind it?" in the kindest, slowest tone of voice. I chuckled and told him I like to collect watches.
He said "...okay, this is mechanical".

He then asked about the watch and if it had a bracelet. I answered yes. He said that the bracelet could be adjusted on the links. I replied I knew that I could adjust the bracelet and that I had the tools to do this.

He helpfully added that there were pins that needed a special tool to remove the links. I assume he thought I could use a screwdriver.

I found this entire exchange amusing to say the least.
Importantly, how does your other watchmaker treat/talk to you?

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.... I politely told him this ain't my first rodeo. He half apologized saying they go over the basics with every one 🤷.

Seems like sometimes it's patronizing, sometimes it's not, and it's not always easy to distinguish which is which.
You know, I appreciated his time, and I appreciated his effort. While I managed to say a couple of times I collect watches, the hint was not taken. You have a great point, too. He may be used to women not knowing what kind of watch they have. He may have established the wrist shake question years ago. Still a bit disappointing, because I really wanted to enjoy that conversation about watches!

My husband was much more worked up over the matter than I was. It was sweet he was mad on my behalf.

I worked in hardware stores for about 15 years. I love how things work, how they're put together, etc. I get the fact this may be unusual in a woman, but I am who I am.
In the hardware stores, I would find men who refused to ask me questions and ask to talk to a man. The worst experience ever was from an older woman who brought in L hinges and wanted to get new ones (super easy request). I tried to help her and she said she needed a man. I was standing right there and was really nice and asked again because I could help her. She literally threw them at my head.

The men I worked with were really funny. When I would get a call from someone asking for a man, I would put them on hold and tell a dept co-worker. They would pick up and say, "I'm not sure, but you can talk to the department head..." and hand the phone back.

I find this subject so amusing.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Importantly, how does your other watchmaker treat/talk to you?
My vintage guy is Matt Becher at The Watch Tech and he is a great gentleman and wonderful watchmaker and I cannot recommend him highly enough. He just doesn't work on modern calibers.
If anyone has someone, please feel free to tell me a name :)

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My more local AD (still an hour away) is wonderful. I deeply regret that the difference between AD and grey market was almost double. I tried to give them my business and I will try again next time and hope I can swing them some business. They were so genuinely happy to chit-chat with anyone about watches and invited me back to chit-chat about watches anytime. I'm going to take them up on that!

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
My vintage guy is Matt Becher at The Watch Tech and he is a great gentleman and wonderful watchmaker and I cannot recommend him highly enough. He just doesn't work on modern calibers.
If anyone has someone, please feel free to tell me a name :)
(y) Just googled The Watch Tech, good to keep in mind, thanks

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He lists Seiko, any idea if he does vintage chronos or is that an email inquiry to him?
He won't touch anything new at all, so I would assume so. However, I am not sure he is taking on any new clients now, judging from his note on the site. You could try, the worse thing he could say is no.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Sad but an unfortunately dark side of the hobby/industry. I've seen female AD reps who are far more knowledgeable than me get talked down to by customers.

Although, in the case of a non specialized watch repair person, it's possible that he just assumes that anyone who walks in the door doesn't know the difference between a mechanical and an automatic. That doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a regular watch repair guy where I go with my watches. He loves to chat, and I don't think I ever felt patronized by him, and I don't think I felt it with other watchmakers either. Maybe because I like to listen to them?? I don't mind them telling me things I already know because I'm an amateur, and they are professionals, and of course they know much more than I on the subject.

I went to several other people before I found this guy, and didn't like them for different reasons, but it was always interesting to talk to them and listen to their opinions on the watch problems I had. Many of them were surprised that I'm a woman and I know a lot about watches, but they seem pleasantly surprised. :)

But watch salespeople - that's a different story, I don't like them because I'm foreign-born and don't have 'the look' of a person who has a collection of Omegas. :) So I have to dress appropriately and wear it if I decide to go to such places :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
True story. I got my wife a very nice Hermes clipper automatic hoping she will grow to appreciate my hobby more. I thought- women and Hermes....what can go wrong. Wrong. She hates it with all her heart. Calls it a stupid watch....which breaks my heart bevause it’s a very-very nice watch. Just can’t be bothered to put it on a winder or change the date.

So, LauraLovesWatches, I think it is very refreshing to have a girl who appreciates mechanical watches and I hope there were more like you out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
True story. I got my wife a very nice Hermes clipper automatic hoping she will grow to appreciate my hobby more. I thought- women and Hermes....what can go wrong. Wrong. She hates it with all her heart. Calls it a stupid watch....which breaks my heart bevause it’s a very-very nice watch. Just can’t be bothered to put it on a winder or change the date.

So, LauraLovesWatches, I think it is very refreshing to have a girl who appreciates mechanical watches and I hope there were more like you out there.
Buy her a Smartwatch, sell the Hermes and put the funds into crypto.
Win, win.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I'm sorry to read this, Ensoul. It is a very very nice watch indeed. Also, it was a kind gesture on your part to share the hobby with her. I'm sorry she didn't enjoy the watch.

I think there are ladies who love watches out there. Some more into the fashion and some in awe of the tiny engines inside. I'm an engine girl. There is no wrong way though. I also love and collect jewelry too. I have much more jewelry than watches. My husband is supportive. If he wasn't, it would take the joy from the hobby.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts