Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and thought I'd try this mystery out on you watch detectives,
I've got this Mini-Sub with an unusual dial and I just can't figure if it's a prototype a redial or what.
The watch is all original ref # 94400, correct movement, band, and SN#110xxx puts it in the early 80's.
If it's a fake dial it's a nice one and I've not seen another like it; chapter ring, aged lumes. So somebody went to a lot of trouble for not much profit.
I would welcome any explanations from you experts out there.

Attachments

·
4,403 Posts
It has a very fake and incorrect redial. It has ruined the watch, making it worth less actually.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The dial is a fake but the rest looks great. You can find a Tudor Mini-Sub 94400 dial for not much at all, pop that baby on and you'll have a fine piece! PM me if you need some links for reference etc, I can point you in the right direction for the dial you need. The Tudor Mini-Sub is one of my all time favorites.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It has a very fake and incorrect redial. It has ruined the watch, making it worth less actually.
+1.
Someone did a horrid job on that one...

Jake.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don't know the motivation of the original post...folks who gravitate to the watch internet forums for specific brands tend to be fairly unappreciative about blatent mislabled parts. Most would call them fake because, as in the case of this dial, the offending part purports to be something it's not...in this instance, a Rolex submariner with a sub branding of Tudor, when in fact, it's clearly a Tudor Mini Sub model.

So, to ask for approval in this environment, or at the very least, an 'atta-boy' is hoping for more than can be offered.

As in many things in life, if you get pleasure out of owning and wearing the watch, then it's fine with me, and should be fine for almost everyone else here, but to ask for absolution for displaying a faked part designed to make the watch into something it's not, is perhaps asking a tad too much from a Rolex-Tudor forum catering to enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Like I said in my above post, all it needs is a dial and perhaps a bracelet and it's back to stock.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I dunno, maybe this forum is more about showing-off than inquiry.
Lets see.
Well at least I got an opinion, albiet a little bit nasty.

With the greatest respect, I think you will find that this forum is a little like a toilet: you get out what you put in. Currently you have posted what is at best an unfortunate redial, asked for information and then were snarky when you didn't get a reply and judgemental when you did. We live in a knowledge economy and you just asked for a free lunch. However, I'm not really a Rolex Forum bod and live over on Omega, but I'm kind of fond of this forum too, because when you ask them nicely this is what you get:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f23/tudor-unease-247289-post1788851.html#post1788851

All I want to suggest is that perhaps it might be worth trying again in a way that might encourage people to take an interest in helping you in more detail?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The dial is a fake but the rest looks great. You can find a Tudor Mini-Sub 94400 dial for not much at all, pop that baby on and you'll have a fine piece! PM me if you need some links for reference etc, I can point you in the right direction for the dial you need. The Tudor Mini-Sub is one of my all time favorites.

Best regards,

Joe
I don't know anything about this model or Tudor either. But from what I gather, you've got a decent Tudor watch, with the wrong dial. I think your best bet is to put the factory spec Tudor dial on it, then you've got a great Tudor Mini-Sub. But now, yeah, I think it's essentially a fake Rolex, albeit one with a quality case/mov't in it. Just swap the dial.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I suspected the dial was fake. I just thought it odd that they would go to the trouble of making a dial that said both Rolex and Tudor on it, if they were trying to make a fake rolex. The rest of the watch is correct and it's obviously a mini-sub. I like the watch and the dial with the chapter ring. I happen to think it's very beautiful and that's why I bought it. I did however, entertain the slight hope that some expert was going to jump up and tell me that this was some sort of prototype and worth a house! I had an experience once with a beat up old Sea-Dweller that i could not ID the dial on, but everything else seemed correct. I posted it on a forum and about half of the users called it a fake. The other half wanted to buy it in the worst way. I finally sold it and bought a nice house on the beach with the cash. So you just never know.
Thanks again for all the input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks everyone. I suspected the dial was fake. I just thought it odd that they would go to the trouble of making a dial that said both Rolex and Tudor on it, if they were trying to make a fake rolex. The rest of the watch is correct and it's obviously a mini-sub. I like the watch and the dial with the chapter ring. I happen to think it's very beautiful and that's why I bought it. I did however, entertain the slight hope that some expert was going to jump up and tell me that this was some sort of prototype and worth a house! I had an experience once with a beat up old Sea-Dweller that i could not ID the dial on, but everything else seemed correct. I posted it on a forum and about half of the users called it a fake. The other half wanted to buy it in the worst way. I finally sold it and bought a nice house on the beach with the cash. So you just never know.
Thanks again for all the input, I appreciate it.
Lol, tell me where you can get (best case scenario) a $35k beach house...

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
oh i dunno maybe a beach house in pontefract?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
oh i dunno maybe a beach house in pontefract?
It's possible, for sure!
Maybe a quiet corner of the Mumbles, may be more realistic!

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Can you post a link to this SD story? I would love to read it. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The dial is horribly wrong, along with the tone used when seeking help. Parts for Mini-Subs can be found, and if you get the right parts on that watch, you'll have an interesting little piece.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.