WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only 25 but I love All in the family and the re-runs are on tv. It's an American show that ran in the 70s and its spin off "Archie Bunker's place" was on till the 80s.
Last night an episode of Archie Bunker's place was on. One of the main characters was being robbed at gunpoint by a woman. She orders him to hand over his watch and she looks at it sadly and goes "Awww, not a Longines?" (But said it without the s, like Longine).

It made me laugh and made me think this was the early 80s - was Longines regarded as the Rolex of the time? If somebody robbed me for my Longines NOWADAYS they'd go "Wtf is this?" and have no idea even how to pronounce it! Maybe that's a good thing. :-d

So yeah, how was Longines regarded during that time on the watch market?
I thought it was a cute reference.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
yep Longines was very high end before the quartz revolution...
now is very popular in China (2nd watch brand by sales) as the swatch group is investing alot in asian markets...
I'm guessing that with Omega going upscale, Longines will be the new Omega in a few years...

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
yep Longines was very high end before the quartz revolution...
now is very popular in China (2nd watch brand by sales) as the swatch group is investing alot in asian markets...
I'm guessing that with Omega going upscale, Longines will be the new Omega in a few years...
I was wrong Longines is now 1st in China

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the late 70's Longines had a series of TV Ads that would have someone getting a watch and then being mildly disappointed and saying something like, "I was hoping for a Longines."

The reference in the old TV show would have made sense at the time based on the widespread use of the Longines TV AD.

This was such a well known series of Ads at the time that when I told my boss that I was buying my girlfriend a watch, he asked if it was a Longines. Oddly enough it was - a small gold-filled (hey, I was a teenager) manual wind thing.

Will Longines be the "new Omega"? I do not think so. I love my Hydro Conquest, but do not see the Swatch Group putting any serious muscle behind the Longines name in the US. The brand strikes me as being a little in search of itself in the US and Europe, but apparently doing well in Asia.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Will Longines be the "new Omega"? I do not think so. I love my Hydro Conquest, but do not see the Swatch Group putting any serious muscle behind the Longines name in the US. The brand strikes me as being a little in search of itself in the US and Europe, but apparently doing well in Asia.
I have been saying that Longines will be the new Omega for some time. Omega was barely in the window for Swatch's prestige/luxury line and now with unique movements and the latest technologies I think they have solidified their position. Not to make fun of the Hydro Conquest, but I don't think that represents the direction the brand is going and I would expect it to disappear. I think the Master Collection, the Heritage Collection and the Elegance Collection will lead them back to their former glory (or at least in that direction). Omega survived on ETA modified Seamasters, old design Speedmasters and a rather uninspiring (IMHO) Constellation which is snapped up by one demographic in large numbers. I predict the Heritage and the Master collection will lead the way and I can see it barely sneaking into the prestige range. If this happens, or they come close, I think you will see Swatch begin to exploit Tissot's heritage and move it into the high range.

If you look at the numbers of where the most watches were purchased for 2011, Asia is where you want to be.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, I think that you have a much better grip than I do on where Longines may go with their line. We'll see.
Longines is going to be placed in a boutique by Swatch just like Omega. Once people come to grips with the fact that the cost of admission to Omega is $4k+ for a Seamaster 300m and $2100 is long gone, they won't have much choice but to either drop double the cash, buy used, take a look at Longines, or trade camps. Don't know what brand you'd go to, but with the ability to get a in-family movement like the column wheel chronograph that is not mass produced and available to every other "manufacturer". They will distance themselves from the others. All the other manufactures heavily invested in ETA movements from Swatch (Yes, I'm looking at you Breitling and Tag Heuer) will either jack up their prices or switch to Sellita and others, which means they will not be worth as much to enthusiasts.

Breitiling has switched to the in house B-01 which is in limited models, so the rest are heavily ETA based. Tag Heuer modifies a Seiko 6S37 and calls it in house, the rest is all ETA based, which means they are still paying Swatch.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Last night an episode of Archie Bunker's place was on. One of the main characters was being robbed at gunpoint by a woman. She orders him to hand over his watch and she looks at it sadly and goes "Awww, not a Longines?" (But said it without the s, like Longine).
The "s" is muted in the word "Longines". You should in fact say "Longine".

In may French names the final "s" is muted. "Paris" is the most famous example.

The perfect way to say "Longines" is:

"Lon" like in Long.
"Gine", like in Jeans.

It happens the same with "Tissot", "Audemars Piguet" and "Piaget". Their final letter "t" is non vocal.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
So the proper way to pronounce it is Long-jeans?

Doesn't sound too . . . Well, I guess for lack of a better word; upscale.

As for positioning, it's clear that those in charge of the Swatch group want Omega to be seen as a direct rival of Rolex; if not better in the eyes of consumers. For the most part, the direct rivalry aspect at least seems to be gaining momentum. But in fairness, a good chuck of that has to do with Rolex basically sitting on their laurels and past success to keep drawing in customers. Swatch group is more active with Omega's higher end luxury brand building.

Another of the Swatch group brands will have to step in or be positioned to take over Omega's old slot in the price-range line-up. Looks like Longines was selected for that honor. Don't be too surprised if your children or grand-children one day post about rising prices of Longines models. Might not be a bad idea to buy one now before their prices skyrocket in a couple of decades.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
So the proper way to pronounce it is Long-jeans?

Doesn't sound too . . . Well, I guess for lack of a better word; upscale.

As for positioning, it's clear that those in charge of the Swatch group want Omega to be seen as a direct rival of Rolex; if not better in the eyes of consumers. For the most part, the direct rivalry aspect at least seems to be gaining momentum. But in fairness, a good chuck of that has to do with Rolex basically sitting on their laurels and past success to keep drawing in customers. Swatch group is more active with Omega's higher end luxury brand building.

Another of the Swatch group brands will have to step in or be positioned to take over Omega's old slot in the price-range line-up. Looks like Longines was selected for that honor. Don't be too surprised if your children or grand-children one day post about rising prices of Longines models. Might not be a bad idea to buy one now before their prices skyrocket in a couple of decades.
I guess so...what will be the price of a powered column wheel Longines in 5 years? (not the same as today I guess)

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
I guess so...what will be the price of a powered column wheel Longines in 5 years? (not the same as today I guess)
I hope the price increase won't be on the level of what we're seeing with regards to Omega's in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Truth be told Omega was considered to be better than Rolex, and I dare say it definitely was. Longines was in the same boat. Rolex has only been around 100 years and Omega, Tissot, and Longines have been around for 150+ years. Rolex' true claim to fame is the feat the Bathyscaphe performed, the GMT watch and the day/date watch. When people think of Rolex they think of diving watches. Yes they invented the oyster case, but due to patents purchased from Perret an Perregeaux. They were the first to heavily advertise this and the perpetual movement. The perpetual name was ripped off buy modifiying "perpetuelle", Abraham Louis Perrelet used a pedometer winding mechanism in 1770 to make an automatic pocket watch. John Harwood in 1926 put that idea in a pocket watch, all before Rolex advertised they had the technology. They co invented the HEV valve with DOXA, but never mention it, but they advertised that they made the first diver for COMEX (commercial use). DOXA was the first to have one to the general public. They achieved COSC certification first and heavily advertised that fact, but that didn't mean others couldn't do it, as a matter of fact Omega has an excellent track record when it came to the competitive events they would hold to see who had the most accurate watch. I don't think anybody has taken more awards than Omega. Rolex didn't even really start to manufacture their own movements until the late 1950s. They totally missed the great automatic chronograph race of the late 1960s and didn't develop their own until 2000.

You can bet that the Hayeks intend to put Omega back where it was, where it belongs. You can bet that Longines is coming along for the ride as you see Swatch make sure they are full of unique movements (that even Omega doesn't have access to) to get away from ETA based movements. If this works you will see an increase in prices when the lineup becomes unique. There is no reason for Longines to compete with other brands after this has been achieved. They have the heritage and roots going back to 1832, and with unique movements and pieces like the retrogrades and heritage models, why would I compete and discount?

Stock up boys...

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Excellent advice. Rolex did have some impressive achievements that many of us take for granted in a modern watch today. But Rolex certainly understood the power of advertising. Despite the ads from back in the good old days that apparently made it into that episode of All in the Family, no average person in America has even heard of Longines today. But everyone knows Rolex.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Swatch group owns way too many brands. There are enough brands to split it in two, some of their brands are way too similar in specs and price range Mido-Hamilton: Tissot-Certina. It's kinda sad how the group decides which brand goes where and does what.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Swatch group owns way too many brands. There are enough brands to split it in two, some of their brands are way too similar in specs and price range Mido-Hamilton: Tissot-Certina. It's kinda sad how the group decides which brand goes where and does what.
Sadly, very true. Sometimes it just seems easier to make a list of brands not owned by the Swatch Group.

·
Premium Member
7,157 Posts
Longines is going to be placed in a boutique by Swatch just like Omega. Once people come to grips with the fact that the cost of admission to Omega is $4k+ for a Seamaster 300m and $2100 is long gone, they won't have much choice but to either drop double the cash, buy used, take a look at Longines, or trade camps. Don't know what brand you'd go to, but with the ability to get a in-family movement like the column wheel chronograph that is not mass produced and available to every other "manufacturer". They will distance themselves from the others. All the other manufactures heavily invested in ETA movements from Swatch (Yes, I'm looking at you Breitling and Tag Heuer) will either jack up their prices or switch to Sellita and others, which means they will not be worth as much to enthusiasts.

Breitiling has switched to the in house B-01 which is in limited models, so the rest are heavily ETA based. Tag Heuer modifies a Seiko 6S37 and calls it in house, the rest is all ETA based, which means they are still paying Swatch.
I agree with much that you've written in this thread. I was commenting on basically the same overall issues just a while back. Here's a post I made that mainly had to do with Omega, but it involved the direction Longines is taking, too, as the two brands definitely have been set on a very clear course.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/omega-what-you-doing-608079.html#post4444059

1 - 17 of 17 Posts