WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Fusee Diamond Cock Litherland Davies Liverpool 1877 Pocket Watch

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Henry Hatem 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Anyone knows how much it is worth it in todays market ?
Does anyone knows to explain the features of this movement and how it works ?
Thanks for any help

:thanks​

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice pictures, the ones that opened for me. We can't help with values but I see these at times at the NAWCC marts. Usually not worth a lot as no parts are available. Basically they have a stair stepped barrel that a tiny chain wraps around when you wind it pulling the main spring tight. They were using this method form at least the 1700s, but not sure when they stopped making this type movement with out some research. Bob

#3 ·
I am not an appraiser - This is an early Fusee watch. The stair stepped piece is actually a conical shape designed to equalize the force of the mainspring from a full wind to unwound condition. It also had a stop mechanism that would only allow the mainspring to be wound/unwound to a certain level to use the "sweet spot" of the spring. Mainsprings from this period were not consistent due to tempering and manufacturing constraints of the period. Todays spring manufacturing methods has made this device obsolete. Pending manufacturer they can be very valuable or just another old watch. For a "ballpark" value search on Ebay and other auction sites to get a feel for the market. A good book to have or use at a library is Cooksey Shugarts book "Complete Price guide to Watches" a yearly publication. Not only does the book have values of most watches but also a wealth of information on watches in general. To piggy back on "mrwatch" you could contact the NAWCC or AWCI for historical information on the watch. The NAWCC may be able to direct you to an appraiser as well.

Let us know how you make out -

#4 ·
Hello Henry
I do appreciate all information you have provided me and it will be a great value for me.
I have already followed your advice and have already bought the COOKSEY SHUGARD BOOK as you said it is a great book and I have red so far 500 pages I´m loving it also i did visit the web site of NAWCC as I´m not a member yet so i don´t have access to their library . I do intend to become a member soon . Unfortunately on the first page of their website they do state We do not provide appraisals, values, or authentifications of timepieces.
I kindly thank you for all the information .
kind regards
victor

#5 ·
Apologies for any confusion on the NAWCC. They do not appraise. But they have a substantial library and historical resources and could help you better identify your watch and the history behind it. They "may" be able to help you find an appraiser. I think the price guide book and some internet searches will provide basic value information and you will see if you need the services of an appraiser.

Keep us posted on what you find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.