WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I've been lusting after a Master of G watch, and I noticed that the new Rangeman is packed full of sensors and features. So much so that the Riseman had to go. And the Mudman (9300) only seems to have the advantage of being sand/dust-proof, for the rest it's more a "baby Rangeman", a cheaper model with less features.

Now, I am thinking of acquiring a Mudman. The GW-9300GB (JDM) has all the features I need and it looks pretty awesome, with the fully black bezel, gold accents and carbon-fiber strap. I could also purchase a GW-9400 for the same amount, but the added functionality is useless to me, and I'm not a fan of positive displays.

The problem here: What will Casio do? The current Mudman is two years old, and I'm afraid that Casio will lower the Mudman prices to differentiate from the Rangeman. Or perhaps introduce a new/upgraded model.

Now I know that nobody has a crystal ball or inside knowledge, but perhaps someone with experience in Casio product launches can shed some light on it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
no upgrade or price drop any time soon.. cause there is this coming out next year:

2014.png

$200 and same features.. I guess depending on how this one does against the Rangeman, Casio might evaluate it's future then..

personally, I would like to see them release a Non Atomic Rangeman, which would drop the price a bit.. Then scrap the G9300 mudman and bring the G9000 mudman back! but that's just me..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Of the new G-Shocks I bought this month the G9000 is among my favorites. In addition to its main feature, I like the shape, display, layout, and it only cost me $70 shipped. However, I am aware Casio has put it on the back page and is promoting a newer model with more bling.

I'd like to have a Rangeman, and if I do get another G that's what it will be. It has the sensors I've always wanted in a watch and looks like an Abrams Tank, but the cheapest one on ebay is $260 for the basic black model, almost a full $200 more than I paid for my Mudman. That's just a little more than I like to pull out of my pocket at once for a watch, though I did just pay out $175 for an Aviator yesterday.

The Rangeman is the flavor of the day, much like the 350 was last spring, and rightly so, but I don't see the Rangeman laying the Mudman to rest anytime soon.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Good to see the Navy Mudman for 2014, I am pleasantly surprised, actually.

Modded Rangeman looks like the GB version of the Mudman:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see that the Mudman will be continued as-is for 2014. That takes away my worry of price-drops or newer models.

yankeexpress, you have a beautiful collection. Thanks for the picture. Makes it easier for me to go for the Mudman. I like how smooth and stealthy it is. Reminds me of my GW-2310FB.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
... but the cheapest one on ebay is $260 for the basic black model, almost a full $200 more than I paid for my Mudman. That's just a little more than I like to pull out of my pocket at once for a watch, though I did just pay out $175 for an Aviator yesterday.
$60+ for the Mudman and $175 for the Aviator...really?

Do tell, OCD dude...we're all ears. ;-)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Solution is obviuous: it becomes the BEACHMAN!!

See here for proof:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/new-improved-gw-9300-bm-beachman-960204.html

seriously though... Mudman has no real justification for me anyways. it has always lacked the Altitude to be an actual outdoor watch, the way I would want it. So in that sense, the question asked makes sense. But as Starscream pointed out, there seems to be a new one coming, so it's not disappearing that fast. And there's many Gs that are only existing because they have a lot of fans, are comfortable and look good. And that certainly goes for the Mudman I think.
To me the 9300 Mudman is a very nice watch which if it came out in new surprising colors, I would continue to add to my collection.
As a watch for actual use in the outdoors, Rangeman has now taken over the lead.
But I have a lot of Gs simply because they appeal to me visually. Devastator & Co... I do not ask them or expect many functions beyond the basics.
One can of course argue that the 9300 Mudman is a bit expensive for "just time keeping", but then what do I say about my Aviators, which basically do only that plus a bit of compass work...
anyways - interesting subject to watch... If you need my signature to keep the Mudman going on some petition, count me in!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I can see the 9300 series Mudman eventually disappearing. I'd love for Casio to bring out some updated 9000 series to match the rest of the collection, maybe a new atomic/solar version that loses the five superfluous eyes on the GW-9000.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solution is obviuous: it becomes the BEACHMAN!!

See here for proof:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/new-improved-gw-9300-bm-beachman-960204.html
That almost gave me a heart attack! More decisions to make! Thank god it's just a Mudman. A very pretty Mudman.

The lack of altitude on the Mudman isn't an issue for me. My country is as flat as a pancake. The nearest mountain is 130km from here, and at 300 meters it's not even officially a mountain. The only real mountain my country has is 7.000km from here.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
@idkfa: the GW-9010 replaced the 5 eye and is multiband 6. And it is a cool watch.

@starscream: notice that is the non - atomic model, I understand it to be a US release. I wonder outside of Japan who will be getting the atomic?

sent with aloha

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
That almost gave me a heart attack! More decisions to make! Thank god it's just a Mudman. A very pretty Mudman.

The lack of altitude on the Mudman isn't an issue for me. My country is as flat as a pancake. The nearest mountain is 130km from here, and at 300 meters it's not even officially a mountain. The only real mountain my country has is 7.000km from here.
HAHA sorry about that! yeah for sure depending on geography where one moves around and on activity specrum, certain functions can be very usefull or totally useless... I only bought all my GLXs because of the color, not the tide thingy... OK well I bought HALF of them because the Hawaiian devil Chrisek pretty much brainwashed me into them...
but as I live in the mountains and move around in wilder ness a lot, I have always regretted that the Mudman could not be my watch for that...
So in that sense I was really happy when Rangeman appeared.
nevertheless I like the Mudman 9300 for its looks and maybe because the Rising red Mudman was one of my first Gs when I started this collection one year ago.
So in any case, they all have a safe place in my collection and I am wearing esp. the Sea&Earth models a lot, for their awesome colors...
this sandcolored one I have been wanting for a long time until I finally found it in Japan, and this day of photos with it reminded me how cool it actually is.....

just had to look... highest ountain 300m ok... the one 7000km away - which colony of yours is THAT??? does the Netherlands still have colonies? hmmm... thinking....Africa or some island in the Atlantic?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
@idkfa: the GW-9010 replaced the 5 eye and is multiband 6. And it is a cool watch.

@starscream: notice that is the non - atomic model, I understand it to be a US release. I wonder outside of Japan who will be getting the atomic?

sent with aloha
Neat. I did notice, however, that it is listed in the Product Archive at Casio. Was it superseded by yet another watch?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
$60+ for the Mudman and $175 for the Aviator...really?

Do tell, OCD dude...we're all ears. ;-)
Well, I had planned on the aviator being the last watch I purchase, but if you happen to have one of every color Rangeman sitting around, and that black one just isn't getting the wrist time it used to, that wouldn't preclude me from accepting it as a belated Christmas gift. ;-)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Well, I had planned on the aviator being the last watch I purchase, but if you happen to have one of every color Rangeman sitting around, and that black one just isn't getting the wrist time it used to, that wouldn't preclude me from accepting it as a belated Christmas gift. ;-)
That still hasn't answered my question about your super-duper low $60 Mudman and $175 Aviator purchases...where please? Or are you talking about secondary market prices?

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The Mudman have always been at the lower end in the Master of G line up both price wise and in terms of advanced functions. When Casio resurrected the Master of G lineup in 2006 after being dead for several years, they started with the G-9000 and GW-9000 Mudman, in 2007 they continued with the G/GW-9100 Gulfman and in 2008 the G/GW-9200 Riseman that was at the top.

In 2009 as part of the 25TH Anniversary Casio decided to once again renew the masters lineup by introducing the Atomic GWF-1000 Frogman that was to form the crown jewel in a brand new generation of Masters. Casio wanted a new bigger and bolder look inspired by military design hence they are more angular in their design language just like stealth technology in the military. Another reason for the new generation is that they wanted the new ones to be more premium looking and feeling which would fit in the new brand strategy.

This renewal continued in 2011 with the new G/GW-9300 Mudman and for 2013 I expected either the Gulfman or Riseman to be replaced by this new third generation. But Casio surprised us by not only replacing the Riseman they dumped the Riseman altogether and introduced something completely new, the thing the whole G-Shock community have been wanting since the turn of the Millenium a fully equipped ABC G-shock in the form of the Rangeman. So the Rangeman was the biggest news this year for sure. So what is next? The Gulfman is the one that is in the most need to be replaced so that one will be replaced either in 2014 or 2015. If we follow the every two years logic, it will be 2015 but I know the Gulfman are not selling very well so perhaps Casio will push it out already this coming year. Perhaps there will not be any new Gulfman and it will be replaced/ditched in favour by a resurrected Fisherman. Most likely this new one will also have a sensor of some kind like compass and thermometer to match the Mudman. All masters will come with environmental sensors of some kind I am sure of it

I think the current Mudman will last at least 2-3 years more. Perhaps once again the fourth generation will be another one to replace the current GWF-1000 and that could happen for the start of the 35TH anniversary in 2017. By that time the current Frogman will be 8 years old just like the old GW-200 Frogman had a good 8 year run before being discontinued and replaced by the current one.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
That still hasn't answered my question about your super-duper low $60 Mudman and $175 Aviator purchases...where please? Or are you talking about secondary market prices?

Cheers.
he is talking about a g9000 mudman and gw-3500 aviator I believe. Those are normal prices for those models

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

Cheers.
Oh, I thought you were pulling my leg. :-d I got them both new on ebay.

I got the GW3500B-1A from luxwatch07. He sold his last one after I bought mine, but you can find them within a couple $$ of what I paid for mine. I got the G9000 for $69.90 from uslegendinc2010 and he has 1 left ATM.

They both have a 100% positive feedback. The Mudman is fine and came with box and papers. The aviator won't get here till Friday, but he shipped it right away and I don't have any reason to believe it won't be authentic too.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Oh, I thought you were pulling my leg. :-d I got them both new on ebay.

I got the GW3500B-1A from luxwatch07. He sold his last one after I bought mine, but you can find them within a couple $$ of what I paid for mine. I got the G9000 for $69.90 from uslegendinc2010 and he has 1 left ATM.

They both have a 100% positive feedback. The Mudman is fine and came with box and papers. The aviator won't get here till Friday, but he shipped it right away and I don't have any reason to believe it won't be authentic too.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood what you meant originally by Mudman and Aviator, I thought you were referring to the latest GW-9300 and GW-A1100 models...all good, cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts