1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I' going to buy a speedmaster pro at the AD and I'm not sure between 2 models:

a. Regular Speedmaster pro "Moon watch"
b. 50th anniversary (the one with the small gold logo on the dial)

What do you think, after rebate the price difference between the two isn't that much.

Which one ....:think:

Thanks,

Youri

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Which I think you will find was the correct choice- congratulations!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is kind of an old post, but I have the same question.

Now because of the economy the 50th anniversary is available at a significantly reduced price. My local AD is going out of business and offering a very tempting discount (about 40%) on the 50th anniversary edition (311.30.42.30.01.001). They don't have a "classic" version available, so the 50th anniversary with the "hippo" gold logo at 12:00 is my only choice for a speedy at this dealer. They only offer the discount on in-store items.

I don't quite understand the resistance to this special edition that I've seen on this forum. It has the 1861 caliber movement with a sapphire crystal. What's not to love?

Should the special edition still be avoided even at a higher cost for a classic? What do you speedy lovers think? Should I go for it, or hold out for a watch that I will be happier with even if it costs more?

·
Registered
658 Posts
i think it'd be a good purchase. many people might not consider it the "real" deal because the original moon watch uses hesalite instead of sapphire crystal, and the dial looks different. however, how many of us really worry about the broken crystal pieces putting our lives in danger in space? more realistically speaking, i'd worry scratching the crystal. if it's the dial you are worried about, you can always purchase a regular moon watch dial from otto feri and ask an experienced local watchmaker to put it on for you. the 40% discount is a big chunk of change. i believe it's more than enough to cover a brand new dial, and you get sapphire crystal out of it. why not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts