WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought that the looks of the G-8000 (C3 series) and the G-056 (Polygons) were a refreshing change in terms of design and aesthetics compared to most Gs. It's a pity then that I heard from a local retailer that Casio will stop production of these two models. How many of you out there have them, other than the standard black models? I've 2 polygons:
G-056Bs_1.jpg
A black G-8000 and a recent addition, a nice orange one too:
G-8000-4VDR_1.jpg
Lee

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I have a polygon and 3 G-8000's (2 of which are on the sales forum). They're great models and it's a shame they're discontinued. I'm only parting with a couple of the G-8000's because of the colours.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I had a standard G-8000, thought it was wonderful, but sold it because of the long strap.

Then a few weeks ago I got another one more or less free in a trade. I don't count it as part of my 'official' collection because I'll be leaving it in our Krakow apartment as an emergency spare.

One of the best that Casio has ever made. I look forward to their next 'alternative 5600'.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the red polygon and have been wearing it since yesterday. I like it a ton (especially the oversized buckle) and really hate that they are discontinued. The only thing I can say negative about the watch is that it is a little hard to read in medium light situations... great in the daylight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I bought the G056-8v and the G8000-8v about a year ago. Both of these are the army green resin with negative displays. Since I'm actually in the army, I figure I have enough green stuff so I bought them with the express intent of dying them black. They both turned out great and have great modules but legibility leaves alot to be desired.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I bought the G056-8v and the G8000-8v about a year ago. Both of these are the army green resin with negative displays. Since I'm actually in the army, I figure I have enough green stuff so I bought them with the express intent of dying them black. They both turned out great and have great modules but legibility leaves alot to be desired.
I have the green reverse display G-056 and that's a great idea! :-! I think I'd prefer it all black.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the responses so far!
As I read your replies a couple of thoughts came to me with regards to design & practicality.
The G-056 - the recessed buttons make it abit of a bother to press them quickly (when you need to):-s
The G-8000 - more of a wish here. The black round 'button' where the LED is located, that would have been a nice change if that was the '5th' button for light activation instead.
Any further thoughts gentlemen?:think:
Lee

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,172 Posts
The module of the G-8000 in a 5600 housing.
A module with all the features needed in a non offending design housing.
Will we ever see something like that from casio.....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have the G-8000F. I found the buttons a bit hard to press due to the shrouds surrounding the buttons. It's sad to see Casio discontinuing this model. It was on sale at almost 25% off the retail price last month by the local distributor.

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
That's a lovely watch Tribe, Benson made some lovely cases, do you know what calibre movement is in that one? :think: .....:-!
Thanks! My wife bought it for me a long time ago. I wore it every day for years. It was accurate to a couple of seconds a day, but its oils are all congealed now. I don't know the calibre, but you've prompted me to whip the back off when I get home (at work now). As far as I know, it's from the 1950s.

I didn't realise they made the cases - I thought it was a 'private label' arrangement. They still have a shop, I believe.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The G-8000 - more of a wish here. The black round 'button' where the LED is located, that would have been a nice change if that was the '5th' button for light activation instead.
Yes, that thought had occurred to me too.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It would probably be more practical to use the LED section for a light button, but I do like that flashing LED. b-)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Here you go, the history of J.W. Benson http://www.rarevintagewatch.com/default.asp?pg=item&id=47 and a very interesting and noble one it is too. You will see the name on some very interesting and beautiful watches indeed and yours is a very nice one, possibly earlier than you think. If I were you I'd get it oiled and serviced and put it in the rotation again, I know I would.

Your wife has good taste! :-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Here you go, the history of J.W. Benson http://www.rarevintagewatch.com/default.asp?pg=item&id=47 and a very interesting and noble one it is too. You will see the name on some very interesting and beautiful watches indeed and yours is a very nice one, possibly earlier than you think.
Thanks - I've been doing some reading!

From that, it does look as though it was probably 'bought in'. I see they have a broadly similar (but possibly nicer) model for sale at £500. Mine has that little chip to the enamel dial too. I have sometimes wondered if it didn't date from the 1930s, but I seem to remember a jeweller's tag that said 1950s. Maybe the movement will be suggestive of one or the other.

My uncle's daily wearer is a Benson, and he's been wearing it for sixty years. He saved up from his first pay packets after the war.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts