WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying I am new to the affordable watches arena. I used this forum to review and make my decision to purchase a G. Gerlach P. 50 Jastrzab watch. I will say that the their watches are beautiful and it was difficult to pick just one for my purchase. The purchasing process was acceptable and the delivery was not too bad. However, that was the end of my positive experience with this company.

After a week and a half of owning the watch, it stopped working. I was very surprised considering the great reviews of the watch. I contacted the G. Gerlach and Michal Durag said to send the watch back and they would inspect and repair the watch. I sent the watch on June 15th. On July 1st, I inquired about the watch, as I wanted to be sure they had received it and inspected the watch. I was told that they had not received my watch and that I needed to send them the tracking information. I did and the next day, my watch was all of a sudden found. So, they had the watch in their possession by, at least, July 1st. Michal informed me that the watch would be fixed and sent to me the following week. I did not receive word regarding my watch from them until July 26th. This was after several ignored e-mails inquiring to the status of my watch (I was worried it was lost in the mail, or stolen). So, during these 25 days they did absolutely nothing with my watch. On the 26th, Michal e-mailed me stating they had inspected my watch and that they found damage (a scratch) indicating a large impact to the watch - Michal suggested it could have been due to dropping the watch on the floor. I know that I did not drop the watch and there was no such major damage to the watch when I sent it to G. Gerlach. However, I did not take photographs of the watch, so I really had no evidence that the watch wasn't damaged. As such, on July 26th, I asked 1) if they would send the damaged parts back with the repaired watch, 2) how would I pay them for the repairs, 3) when would I receive my repaired watch? Michal stated that they would repair the watch, send the damaged parts (the dial showing wear due to rubbing of the hand as a result of the impact), and bill me via PayPal. He further stated that all of this would occur the following week. This e-mail was sent by Michal on July 28th. On Tuesday of this week, I began to worry about the watch again, as 1) I have not received the watch and 2) I have not received a PayPal invoice from G. Gerlach. I sent an e-mail on Tuesday, August 16th. As of today, August 19th, I still have not heard from Michal Duraj or anyone else at G. Gerlach.

I know the above is long, so I'll summarize:

1. My watch stopped working after less than two weeks of use.
2. I am unaware of any major damage to the watch - I did not drop it, but it could have bumped something in my daily activities - nothing more than all of my other watches experience and they are still working.
3. Michal at G. Gerlach confirmed receiving the watch by, at least, July 2nd.
4. I was told on July 2nd that my watch would be sent to me the following week.
5. On July 26th (24 days after they said they would begin repairing my watch and 17 days after they said they would ship my watch), I was informed that my watch was damaged by me and I would have to pay for the repairs.
6. On July 26th, I agreed to these repairs and inquired to 1) how to pay for the repair, 2) whether or not they could send the damaged parts to me, and 3) when I would receive the repaired watch.
7. On July 28th, I was told 1) they would bill me via PayPal, 2) they would send the damaged parts to me, and 3) they would send the watch the following week (August 1st-5th).
8. On August 16th, I e-mailed to inquire about my watch because 1) I had not been billed, 2) I had not received my watch, and 3) I had not heard from Michal at G. Gerlach.
9. As of Friday, August 19th....still no word - 48 days since they received the watch and I still have no clue as to the status of my watch.

Finally, I will say that my intention with this post is to be sure that other people that are new to affordable watches have a source of information regarding the facts of my case. I hope it will help them to make a decision about which companies they choose to support.

Additionally, I will be happy to continue posting here and inform all of you about the outcome of my situation. I harbor no ill will toward G. Gerlach (or Michal), I just want my watch back. Some sort of gesture by the company for this poor customer service would be fantastic, but based on my experience, that is wishful thinking, and so I'm not really expecting much from this company or their representatives.

Best,

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
That's a shame.

A couple of things to remember:
G.Gerlach is a VERY SMALL company. I can't remember off the top of my head if it's just one guy or a couple, but it's not very many. And I haven't been paying attention to what they're doing recently, but when a company is that small, something like a model release might take all their time. And it's summer. Many Europeans take many weeks off in the summer, around this time, so that can explain the delay.

But the response doesn't sound very good to me. Did you originally pay by PayPal? Starting a dispute, if it's timely, might help get the ball rolling.

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
That's a shame.

A couple of things to remember:
G.Gerlach is a VERY SMALL company. I can't remember off the top of my head if it's just one guy or a couple, but it's not very many. And I haven't been paying attention to what they're doing recently, but when a company is that small, something like a model release might take all their time. And it's summer. Many Europeans take many weeks off in the summer, around this time, so that can explain the delay.

But the response doesn't sound very good to me. Did you originally pay by PayPal? Starting a dispute, if it's timely, might help get the ball rolling.
The op said it has been 48 days. Do Europeans take 7 week holidays?

·
Premium Member
7,020 Posts
The op said it has been 48 days. Do Europeans take 7 week holidays?
I didn't mean that the whole time was vacation. Just that vacations may have affected the response time in general. He has, after all, received some correspondence in those 48 days...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Watch Watch accessory Strap Analog watch Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Maroon Fashion accessory

In full disclosure, I'm trying to post the pictures of the watch. While I never dropped it, my son could have easily been playing with it and dropped it. That is why I never contested the charge for repairing the watch. Also, I never inspected the watch before sending it back, and I certainly didn't photograph it to verify that there was no damage. I guess I've learned my lesson in this type of issue.

If the watch stopped working because of something I didn't, I'm fine paying for it. What I'm not fine with is a company that tells me they will fix the watch under warranty, and send it back next week. Then weeks later, I contact them and they tell me that I damaged it and I have to pay for it, AND tell me that they will have this done next week and I will be billed via PayPal. Then, weeks later (3 to be exact) I still haven't heard from them.

I might expect this from a big company that has employees that don't care about the product or customer service, but I would hope a small company generates their business on good customer service. So, far this is the worst customer service I've received for ANY internet purchase.

If they had told me that they would fix the watch, but that they were swamped with manufacturing or other repairs, and it would take several weeks, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have totally appreciated their honesty. I would have considered that good customer support. I've dealt with small mountain bike manufacturers and I totally understand that small businesses can't always have a rapid turnaround time. If that is the case, just be honest with the customer.

Tomorrow will be one week since I sent my most recent e-mail. I have also sent them a message on Facebook. If they are on an extended vacation, I understand. However, nearly all e-mail software allows you to send a response telling the person you will be out for certain dates. Again, good customer service is about transparency and honesty. Just tell me what is going on.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
This is a shame. I've had technical issues with a Gerlach I owned was treated very well by both their contact person on WUS and their watchmaker, Sy. It's been a few years so it's a pity to see this happen. Hope everything is resolved soon for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I sent a message to G. Gerlach on their Facebook page on Monday (August 22nd). Their response indicated that the senior watchmaker was on holiday and has just returned. They said that they will check the watch and then send it back.

I'll keep updating here as this unfolds. I'll keep you posted on how G. Gerlach handles this case of customer service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. Since August 22, 2016, I have not heard from G. Gerlach. I sent an e-mail today and a Facebook message. It has been two weeks, and I have not heard from them.

Hoping to get my watch back, as it has been in their possession for 2 months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on my issue. After posting on Facebook and here on August 22nd, I heard from Chris (on this forum via private message). He was upset that I was posting to their Facebook page and on this forum. He felt I was slandering his company. I supplied him the plethora of e-mails showing that I had been in contact with his company (via Michal) and had been requesting service for my watch. He further stated that my watch had been damaged due to mishandling and that is was not a warranty repair. He also suggested that I had to approve the repair for the fee they quoted. I told him that I had done that over a month prior. He e-mailed back and said my case was lost in the shuffle of the holidays.

They immediately send a PayPal invoice and I paid it within an hour. Two weeks later I have received my watch.

One thing to note. Michal said they would send the broken parts with the watch when they returned it. I had asked them to do this, so I could see the damage the watch had suffered. Unfortunately, they did not send the parts, just the watch.

These are facts of my most recent dealings. I've posted this in the most objective manner possible.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts