WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the processing of applying to have one of my DW-5000C's sent over to CASIO for the factory restore.

The process involves signing up for a CASIO Japan user account and going through their application process. I'm not sure what's going to be involved with me applying as a US resident, but I'm going to try everything I can.

It looks like I will have to find some kind of proxy service as step 4 of the registration process requires a Japanese address.

From G-Central:
In 2018, G-Shock Japan offered a restoration service for vintage DW-5000C and DW-5600C watches. An expanded limited-time restoration service is now available for more vintage square models.

The service costs 10,560 yen per watch (plus return shipping fee) and includes the replacement of the bezel, band, and battery. The service also includes a special display box featuring a message from G-Shock creator Kikuo Ibe. The service will run from October 5, 2021, to January 18, 2022, and is available in Japan only.

The eligible G-Shock models include the following: DW-5000C, WW-5100C, DW-5200C, WW-5300C, DW-5600C, DW-5800C, DW-1983, SWC-05.

I figured I might as well start a thread to track my progress and for anyone else doing the same thing...

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I'm in the processing of applying to have one of my DW-5000C's sent over to CASIO for the factory restore.

The process involves signing up for a CASIO Japan user account and going through their application process. I'm not sure what's going to be involved with me applying as a US resident, but I'm going to try everything I can.

It looks like I will have to find some kind of proxy service as step 4 of the registration process requires a Japanese address.

From G-Central:
In 2018, G-Shock Japan offered a restoration service for vintage DW-5000C and DW-5600C watches. An expanded limited-time restoration service is now available for more vintage square models.

The service costs 10,560 yen per watch (plus return shipping fee) and includes the replacement of the bezel, band, and battery. The service also includes a special display box featuring a message from G-Shock creator Kikuo Ibe. The service will run from October 5, 2021, to January 18, 2022, and is available in Japan only.

The eligible G-Shock models include the following: DW-5000C, WW-5100C, DW-5200C, WW-5300C, DW-5600C, DW-5800C, DW-1983, SWC-05.

I figured I might as well start a thread to track my progress and for anyone else doing the same thing...
I'd be interested to know about the proxy address part and if you manage to get that sorted.

I wonder why they don't offer it to people who don't reside in Japan? After all, they do require payment of return shipping so surely it doesn't matter where you are??

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm getting the feeling that this service that CASIO is providing is being done on a very limited basis by some dedicated people in the Japan service center in Musashimurayama.

I get the feeling that this service is not some kind of world-wide corporate CASIO initiative. I think literally it's like some small group of people within the service center that is doing something solo. The reason I think that is because of some of the limitations listed on the restoration service web site:

From the CASIO Japan site:

Service content: Replacement of bezel (including decorative screws), band, and battery

* Please check the following contents and apply after agreeing:

* You can apply even if the bezel band is not attached to the product.

* Only bezels with black resin and gray filling color are available.

* The head of the bezel fixing screw has only a + (plus) shape.

* Band buckle (silver / gold) is compatible with the button color. There is a slight difference in shape.

* The following is not included in the restore service.
Protector (DW-5800), metal free ring (DW-1983)

* Only one watch per person.

So clearly CASIO is not doing some kind of massive production run of NLA parts to do these restorations. The screws and straps will clearly be the same as available from CASIO to anyone else in the world. The only part that they are producing themselves are the bezels, which are being done with custom production machines in the service center, and these bezels are only in a single color.

I'd like to support this just for the experience. The cost is also pretty reasonable, I think if this was being done for us Americans on a grand scale, it would probably cost $1000 just because of all the checking of their a**es they would have to do to prevent some disgruntled keyboard trolls from trying to destroy them for their attempt to do something nice for vintage watch owners. Maybe a watch gets lost in the post - someone is going to rage-post the heck out of CASIO and try to destroy their reputation.

Given what I have seen on the internet and people outside of Japan, I don't blame CASIO for playing their cards close to their chest.

That, and they clearly do not want to have people start sending thousands of watches in. This is a ticket-based system and they are being very cautious with the public.

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,780 Posts
Good luck. It would be awesome if they set something up for fans outside of Japan. I would gladly send my 5200 for a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would it be too difficult to find those parts and upgrade it yourself?
The cross-head bezel screws and replacement straps are widely available at any G-Shock parts store.

It's clear that CASIO no longer has any way of manufacturing the genuine DW-5000C and DW-5200C flathead bezel screws.

The only part you cannot find is the CASIO bezel. CASIO is using Micro-AMS Amolsys photon molding machines (https://www.micro-ams.co.jp/technologies/) to cast the replacement bezels from some kind of thermoplastic. The fact that they are using the Amolsys machines leads me to believe that the CASIO bezels are being cast out of a TPU.

The other aftermarket bezels use different processes, but are all most likely cast urethanes.

Long story short, you can do it yourself. The bezel is the most difficult part to source.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
we need to see the pictures (and a lots of it) before you mail it out
in case Casio mess it up, you can always point them back to this thread, to get some compensations (or a free DW-5000) lolz

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that this service that CASIO is providing is being done on a very limited basis by some dedicated people in the Japan service center in Musashimurayama.

I get the feeling that this service is not some kind of world-wide corporate CASIO initiative. I think literally it's like some small group of people within the service center that is doing something solo. The reason I think that is because of some of the limitations listed on the restoration service web site:

From the CASIO Japan site:

Service content: Replacement of bezel (including decorative screws), band, and battery

* Please check the following contents and apply after agreeing:

* You can apply even if the bezel band is not attached to the product.

* Only bezels with black resin and gray filling color are available.

* The head of the bezel fixing screw has only a + (plus) shape.

* Band buckle (silver / gold) is compatible with the button color. There is a slight difference in shape.

* The following is not included in the restore service.
Protector (DW-5800), metal free ring (DW-1983)

* Only one watch per person.

So clearly CASIO is not doing some kind of massive production run of NLA parts to do these restorations. The screws and straps will clearly be the same as available from CASIO to anyone else in the world. The only part that they are producing themselves are the bezels, which are being done with custom production machines in the service center, and these bezels are only in a single color.

I'd like to support this just for the experience. The cost is also pretty reasonable, I think if this was being done for us Americans on a grand scale, it would probably cost $1000 just because of all the checking of their a**es they would have to do to prevent some disgruntled keyboard trolls from trying to destroy them for their attempt to do something nice for vintage watch owners. Maybe a watch gets lost in the post - someone is going to rage-post the heck out of CASIO and try to destroy their reputation.

Given what I have seen on the internet and people outside of Japan, I don't blame CASIO for playing their cards close to their chest.

That, and they clearly do not want to have people start sending thousands of watches in. This is a ticket-based system and they are being very cautious with the public.
All good points and I think you are spot on. Related to this, I have wondered how Casio plans to address parts availability (how long do they plan on providing parts for out of production models like MRGs, MTGs, Froggies, and other more expensive models) and the growing number of services their service centers may need or at least be expected to provide as they begin to produce more expensive models and begin to move a bit more upmarket.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly. In other words, if you are looking to try to have CASIO build you a brand new watch for $100, think again.

This service is something nice that they are doing to try and make your old precious vintage square wearable again.

This service is obviously NOT for people who want some kind of concours restoration for their watches to brand new condition.

If you send in a watch missing screws then obviously they can only do so much.

·
Registered
Casio G-Shock DW-5600MS (on DW-5600E bezel and GW-5000 band)
2,341 Posts
All good points and I think you are spot on. Related to this, I have wondered how Casio plans to address parts availability (how long do they plan on providing parts for out of production models like MRGs, MTGs, Froggies, and other more expensive models) and the growing number of services their service centers may need or at least be expected to provide as they begin to produce more expensive models and begin to move a bit more upmarket.
I'm a bit concerned that Casio is pumping out way too many new models nowadays. The models with Carbon Core guard will be quite hard to self-repair (if it's even possible without damaging the carbon parts) and there will be issues with parts availability with so many models that may someday be discontinued. Just look at the GD-350 which was introduced in 2016, and the GPR-B1000 in 2018.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm a bit concerned that Casio is pumping out way too many new models nowadays. The models with Carbon Core guard will be quite hard to self-repair (if it's even possible without damaging the carbon parts) and there will be issues with parts availability with so many models that may someday be discontinued. Just look at the GD-350 which was introduced in 2016, and the GPR-B1000 in 2018.
This is a good point and probably deserves a discussion thread all of it's own. Recently a poster in Canada had problems with a Rangeman GRP-B1000. Casio could not repair it, they did not have the parts. And they could not offer an identical replacement.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'll also be trying to get this service for my DW-5200 at least. It's a perfect candidate, having no bezel, band, or screws but otherwise being in excellent condition.

I've been in touch with Watch Outz of Hong Kong and their price for the service seems steep. This is what I gather so far. Their charge is HKD 2,400 total. That includes a HKD 1,500 "local charge". So that total for the proxy+restoration comes out to USD 309 or so. There's a few things I don't get about this. The "local charge" must include more than just the Casio charge of JPY 10,600 because that comes out to just about HKD 735. I'm asking for some more details. With these things there's often legitimate expenses for a third party that you wouldn't think would be involved.

What I assume is that there's other local handling and currency conversion that is included. That's all fine, everybody needs to come out ahead in the process, but I'll be looking around for direct Japanese alternatives.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I'll also be trying to get this service for my DW-5200 at least. It's a perfect candidate, having no bezel, band, or screws but otherwise being in excellent condition.

I've been in touch with Watch Outz of Hong Kong and their price for the service seems steep. This is what I gather so far. Their charge is HKD 2,400 total. That includes a HKD 1,500 "local charge". So that total for the proxy+restoration comes out to USD 309 or so. There's a few things I don't get about this. The "local charge" must include more than just the Casio charge of JPY 10,600 because that comes out to just about HKD 735. I'm asking for some more details. With these things there's often legitimate expenses for a third party that you wouldn't think would be involved.

What I assume is that there's other local handling and currency conversion that is included. That's all fine, everybody needs to come out ahead in the process, but I'll be looking around for direct Japanese alternatives.
Thanks for the contact. It’s expensive but I may also send my old watch for a service.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
The gd-350 was released in 2013 actually. Anyway, are there parts issues?

As for the gpr.. yeah, I read a thread about parts unavailability. Yikes. We are not talking about an affordable like the gd-350 now, but an almost 1k watch. That is concerning.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
nowadays? theyve been doing it for decades. nothing has changed, if youre worried about parts availability, you buy spares when theyre available. if there arent any spares then its prob a LE and its unlikely itll get beaten up enough to require parts anyway.
if it really concerns you then just stick with the popular basic models so you either have heaps of spares available or the watch is so cheap that you can just buy a new one when it eventually dies

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'll update the thread with some more details, but I've switched a few things :)

Since I'm taking a bit of a risk here, I decided to send one of my DW-5600C's that needs a battery change instead of my most precious DW-5000C. I'm using a forwarding service in Japan, so I guess I'm doing the whole shebang.

And my little G is in the post on the way to Japan! Hang in there, little guy....you'll have clothes on soon! I'll update with more info as it comes...

Font Rectangle Parallel Circle Paper

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I'll update the thread with some more details, but I've switched a few things :)

Since I'm taking a bit of a risk here, I decided to send one of my DW-5600C's that needs a battery change instead of my most precious DW-5000C. I'm using a forwarding service in Japan, so I guess I'm doing the whole shebang.

And my little G is in the post on the way to Japan! Hang in there, little guy....you'll have clothes on soon! I'll update with more info as it comes...
I’m also trying to decide which old square to send. I have a beloved 5200 that I believe recently had its battery swapped by the owner a year or so ago. But I also have 5600c that may need a battery change.

Looking forward to seeing how the fresh new clothes look on yours.

Reactions: FROG and Paul R
1 - 20 of 25 Posts