WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own a G-Shock Aviator Series GW-3000BB. I work in retail I think maybe the magnets we use to take off sensors off certain products may of screwed my watch up. I used the atomic clock feature to set the time again, however the left dial does not display the day of the week anymore it points in the opposite direction. I sent it in to the casio service center and it looks like I might have to get a different watcho|. They tell me that they don't have it in stock and I think it might of been discontinued.

Anyways, I was looking into some other g-shocks just in case they don't have my model and wanted to know if the rangeman or any other solar powered models that are digital not fare well against magnetic fields.

GW-3000BB-1AJF_1.jpg
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This a picture of the exact one I have.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,177 Posts
did you try the hands home position correction procedure first? :)
Its described in the manual.

The date wheel is not auto adjusted but tough movement functionality. ;-)

Anyhow, any digital watch will be immune against magnetic fields.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you try the hands home position correction procedure first? :)
Its described in the manual.

The date wheel is not auto adjusted but tough movement functionality. ;-)

Anyhow, any digital watch will be immune against magnetic fields.
Yeah I tried it. The left dial would always revert back to "STD" or "DST" position or stick straight up. Casio contacted back and let me know it would have to be replaced with another module.

Also, even the rangeman ? I just wanted to make sure that magnets would not mess up anything related to the solar panels.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,177 Posts
the solar panel is immune.
The electro-magnetic stepper motors of quartz analogs are influenced by magnets.
so the problem might come back with any analog hands quartz watch.

Yeah I tried it. The left dial would always revert back to "STD" or "DST" position or stick straight up. Casio contacted back and let me know it would have to be replaced with another module.

Also, even the rangeman ? I just wanted to make sure that magnets would not mess up anything related to the solar panels.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

The Rangeman has a compass, so that's obviously influenced by magnet. If you want a watch truly immune to magnet, get a digital and non-compass one, or one certified as magnetic resistant.

I had a SGW500 analog compass watch. The compass was off by a bit, despite multiple calibrations. Says in the manual that once the hands got magnetized, it won't be accurate any more. Good thing it was a new purchase, so I returned it.

Manual excerpt of SGW500, which applies to most analog compass watch as well.
sgw500manual.jpg

Manual excerpt for the GW9400 Rangeman, which applies to most digital compass watch as well.
GW9400manual.jpg

Once your watch's magnetized, the manufacturer will need to take the watch apart, degauss the analog hands and then put it back together for further testing. It's likely a work intensive process and they can't guarantee you the watch's functioning same as before. So the easiest way for them is to provide you a new watch.

Reactions: BlkandRed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rangeman has a compass, so that's obviously influenced by magnet. If you want a watch truly immune to magnet, get a digital and non-compass one, or one certified as magnetic resistant.

I had a SGW500 analog compass watch. The compass was off by a bit, despite multiple calibrations. Says in the manual that once the hands got magnetized, it won't be accurate any more. Good thing it was a new purchase, so I returned it.

Manual excerpt of SGW500, which applies to most analog compass watch as well.
View attachment 2269722

Manual excerpt for the GW9400 Rangeman, which applies to most digital compass watch as well.
View attachment 2269770

Once your watch's magnetized, the manufacturer will need to take the watch apart, degauss the analog hands and then put it back together for further testing. It's likely a work intensive process and they can't guarantee you the watch's functioning same as before. So the easiest way for them is to provide you a new watch.
:think:eek:|

I like the rangeman though. It has a feature listed under the digital compass called "Magnetic declination correction". So im not sure if that would be a solution or not. Man I didn't realize analog would this much a hassle for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts