WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm not sure if this would be useful for you guys. I don't guarantee this would be 100% work for every watch. It just worked for my both Casio Atomic watches. I've found some threads talking about syncing the atomic time by using JJY simulator, the app on IOS or Android. By the way I'm in southeast asia outside the radio range coverage. Some people in Australia use this method to sync the time, some work some don't.
[credit] http : //forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/those-who-wanna-sync-your-atomic-g-shock-atomic-time-4846462.html

I tried many times last night It did not work with my GW-9400 and GW-M5610NV I didn't know why. Then I tried it again today by modifying the way to do it a little bit and It worked!!!. I think the reasons it did not work with my watches on the first time because I got too much interference from such as TV sound or anything that could contain radio waves or I could not hold the watch stably. The watches picked up signal level 3 but then indicated error, meaning time syncing was failed. So I will show you the way I made it work.

1. Download the App called "JJY Simulator" (iOS or Android)
2. Set Time Zone in your Phone to TOKYO
3. Set home time to TYO on your watch
4. Go to Sync mode on your watch

Before Start syncing, I used the earphone wrapping around the watch putting the speakers right next to where the receiver located. Then I put the whole thing in a plastic box just to keep it stable while syncing. [see picture below]

5. Plug in the earphone to your iPhone
6. Open the App then turn on the sync mode. Then start syncing the watch

Don't forget to turn off TV or music and make your room as quiet as possible while syncing. Then You should get the Time synced within a minute.

Technology Electronic device Cable Gadget
Text Font Technology Screenshot

·
Registered
377 Posts
Cool! I wonder if this will work with my Antman. Gonna have 2 try it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine is Nexus 5. No need to use earphones for me.
Just turn the volume up and position the watches close/facing to the speaker phone.
Works for Rangeman, GWM5610, MTG1200, MRG8100B.

Reactions: kuku

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Yes this have been discussed before. Basically it was a service developed as a temporary solution to get atomic sync when the Fukushima tower stopped working after the 2011 Tsunami. It is a geeky way to get sync for sure. But those sounds are true ear torture so not something you want to use on a daily basis. Here a video showing it:

There is also a desktop version for regular computers: JJYƒVƒ~ƒ…ƒŒ�[ƒ^ . There used to be an online service but no longer available!

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
JJY transmits a longwave radio signal on 40 kHz or 60 kHz, depending on the transmitter. How does the Multiband receiver in a Casio watch pick up a radio signal from the audio produced by this app? I don't follow the scientific basis for this technique, but I'm sure some of you can explain it to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep in mind that it will take the current time from your computer/cellphone and transmit that, so if your devices' time isn't correct neither your watches will be.
Always do a NTP sync before and check with time.is, otherwise you may be sending a less than radio-controlled-precise time to your watch!

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
It doesn't pick up the signal from the audio, rather it reads the electromagnetic field created by the speaker.
Thanks for your reply, Ted. I had a feeling this had something to do with the electromagnetic field.

I guess the Multiband receiver in a Casio watch must have a broadband (rather than tuned) front end, in order to pick up the electromagnetic field from midrange audio frequencies, which are far lower than the 40 kHz or 60 kHz it is normally expecting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even though reception down here is fine, I've tried it and works pretty well. One thing that I found was that using legit speakers didn't rly work, it made this high pitch beep sound and it wasn't syncing, the phone or ipad ones actually work better (without the beeping). Maybe somebody could try blasting it into water? There was a thingy where you could unlock ur car from a distance away by pointing it at ur brain cause ur brain has loads of water. Anyways hope they make a universal version for all the time zones? And one thing to note, the app pulls time directly from ur phone's time, maybe polling nist.gov would be better but might also create issues. Keep that in mind when trying this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is pretty interesting. My intuition suggests that it's trying to use the speaker coil as a crude antennae, and the sound produced is only a byproduct of that.
I wonder if it would work with a speaker sans magnet? (To eliminate the ear-splitting beeps)

This gave me an idea to set up a sort of "atomic repeater". I dabble in amateur radio, so this would be an interesting project :)
I also get nearly zero atomic reception in my area...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Using this speaker works for me when using the web simulator, but it definitely needs some space between. When i put the watch too close it'll only get L1 signal and keep getting errors while at the position on the picture it reached L3 and received successfully

I type butter when on my phone

·
Registered
788 Posts
Worked on my Rangeman. Tried earlier on the Mudmaster but no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I was skeptical, but it worked on my GW-5000 - I had to dig up a PC with IE to run the old Java app on the website (Radio Time Pulse Emulator - Set your Radio Controlled watch) but I'll be damned if it worked with just one crappy headphone stuck close to the watch! This opens up a whole new world of JDM watches for me, there are some nice Citizen Promasters that sync to JJY only (I like this one: ???????LAND-????????????PMD56-2951?CITIZEN-????????). So do you have to leave it in the TYO timezone to make this work?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried it to my GW-7900B and it worked but then again too much fuss for an adjustment that can be done in 5 secs . The auto sync is a nice feature if you don't have to do anything but if you go into so much trouble syncing I think that it is not worth it just do it by hand. Just my humble opinion

Στάλθηκε από το ZTE V967S μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
Keep in mind that it will take the current time from your computer/cellphone and transmit that, so if your devices' time isn't correct neither your watches will be.
Always do a NTP sync before and check with time.is, otherwise you may be sending a less than radio-controlled-precise time to your watch!
I don't think this is true, I don't think it uses the local time on your device, I think it's actually relaying the JJY signal (think actual time that will be signalled, especially when your device isn't using Japanese time).

Without wifi or data, does the app still work?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think this is true, I don't think it uses the local time on your device, I think it's actually relaying the JJY signal (think actual time that will be signalled, especially when your device isn't using Japanese time).

Without wifi or data, does the app still work?
The JJY Simulator is just that, a simulator. If you go to the JJY Simulator web page, it explains that it is only using a Java App to Simulate the time signal that is transmitted from JJY. You need to, not only sync your computer with a NIST server, but you also need to switch your computer's time zone to that of Tokyo - Japan for it to give you the correct time on your watch, before you start the Java App. The JJY Simulator does work for me, though my watch gets a weak to mid strength radio time signal from JJY anyway, so I only use it when bad weather disrupts my RX.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The JJY Simulator is just that, a simulator. If you go to the JJY Simulator web page, it explains that it is only using a Java App to Simulate the time signal that is transmitted from JJY. You need to, not only sync your computer with a NIST server, but you also need to switch your computer's time zone to that of Tokyo - Japan for it to give you the correct time on your watch, before you start the Java App. The JJY Simulator does work for me, though my watch gets a weak to mid strength radio time signal from JJY anyway, so I only use it when bad weather disrupts my RX.
Nearly all the discussion on this thread has been about thr smartphone app, not the java / browser based desktop app.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi i am from India.... i have a G-SHOCK MUDMASTER.. If i use the JJY SIMULATION APP that will sync the time for Japan so how is it a benefit if that person is not in Japan as i am in India there is no radio timekeeping station here so how will it benefit me ? Because if i use the JJY simulator app it will sync the time for Japan.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts