WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i know this is probably a politically incorrect thread, but is anyone currently consciously telling himself/herself tt he/she will resist buying anymore Gs in the near foreseeable future? ;-)

i just got back from thailand and did not score any watch. not sure if i am proud of it.....:-s

the habit of stepping into a watch shop is still there, but my left hand has managed to get a hold on my right from reaching out to the wallet to pay for yet another G shock. the count-to-20-cooling-off period trick actually help me a fair bit....

anyone going thru' the same tumultuous period as i am?

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
NOT targeting G's? Does not compute... :)

Actually Im pretty happy with my entire collection right now. If I spotted a G I liked at the right price I may snap at it... but Im pretty pleased with my collection, even my Non G's...

I don't think I hit that "Watch Nirvana" And I'm certainly not at that "one watch" point... but I think I am at least content...

Could also be that Im poor and the holidays are killing me :)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I wasn't going to buy anymore this year, but ended up getting another G2300. I only wanted the cloth strap for a spare, but it worked out just a few £'s more for the whole watch.

There's only a very few at the moment I'm interested in, and as they're not particularly cheap, they'll have to wait 'till after Christmas.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NOT targeting G's? Does not compute... :)

Actually Im pretty happy with my entire collection right now. If I spotted a G I liked at the right price I may snap at it... but Im pretty pleased with my collection, even my Non G's...

I don't think I hit that "Watch Nirvana" And I'm certainly not at that "one watch" point... but I think I am at least content...

Could also be that Im poor and the holidays are killing me :)
in 2008, (30+ days away), i want to be a proud owner of a suunto! never had any b4 but the range i saw in HK made me salivate :p

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
They are awesome! I love all mine. The new core has some impressive features but many have had technical issues. Mine has been perfect! The T and X series are great. Love my Observer... Of course the Vector is a classic.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I planned on taking a rest from buying watches for a bit after scoring a couple of Seikos but then I saw a good deal on a GW-5600 and well.......

·
Registered
261 Posts
I cannot understand why you would want to buy another G-Shock.
The features are all pretty much the same:
Stopwatch, timer alarm, some timezones, solar powered. So?
If you own one you know the rest. Maybe for the looks, but thb there are other watches worth a glance as well.
A Seiko e.g. is a great watch and the SKX007 or SKX171 are very reliable, durable and tough as well. I havent heard of any Seiko being broken while doing extreme sports. Even some military personnel are using those. And btw they have no need for batteries as well..

·
Registered
533 Posts
All the local watch counter sales personal in my local box stores actually know me. Im known as the G-SHOCK guy..lol. They think im nuts..lol. :-x

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
All the local watch counter sales personal in my local box stores actually know me. Im known as the G-SHOCK guy..lol. They think im nuts..lol. :-x
And the scary part is we probably know more about the watches and features better than the sales people do :-d:-d.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
If you own one you know the rest. Maybe for the looks, but thb there are other watches worth a glance as well.
A Seiko e.g. is a great watch and the SKX007 or SKX171 are very reliable, durable and tough as well. I havent heard of any Seiko being broken while doing extreme sports. Even some military personnel are using those. And btw they have no need for batteries as well..
i sort of see what your saying, but i love the different shapes, colours, features, and limited edition models, and the feeling of rushing home to see if a package has arrived! :)

i guess that makes me more of a collector really, as only a few of my 25+ G's get wrist time.. but its nice to know they are there if they need to be called upon!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I understand what you're saying also. But the difference boils down to user vs. collector. If you're a user, then you don't really care about other models, as long as your needs are filled. If you're a collector, you like the different colors, features (there are many different feature sets, even if not all the features are needed), and shapes.

And I believe there can be users that collect, and collectors that use. It sounds like you are mostly a user :).

Part of the attraction I find is seeing something I like, and then hunting for other colors or versions to see if I like something better. It's kind of a hobby for me. There doesn't need to be a reason for a new G...just the urge and the funds.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I have 2 Seikos, and while I like the self-sufficiency of an automatic movement, I'm not so keen on having to reset them everytime I wear them. They're also less accurate than my G-Shocks and lack the features I find so useful. They are durable as mechanical watches go, but I wouldn't personally trust one in certain extreme situations. Also, without CDT, or at least alarms, I find them inadequate most of the time. They're very nice, but not nearly as practical, durable or useful as G-Shocks.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The features, and their implementation, actually varies quite a lot. One of the reasons for buying G-Shocks is the 'quest' element of finding the 'right' one. Owning one doesn't in fact tell you about the rest.

I have had a few of the cheaper Seikos (up to and including a Tuna), and think they offer good value. The non-hacking, non-handwinding movements are a bit of a pain, though.

And Seiko admirers tend to do the same as G-Shock admirers, and buy variants that they don't really need - like all the colour variants of the Monster series.

I wouldn't mind a Grand Seiko, but I think there will always be something I want more for the money.

Your 'why buy more' argument could be levelled at any brand, and is rather beside the point for people subscribing to a watch forum! ;-)

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
Your 'why buy more' argument could be levelled at any brand, and is rather beside the point for people subscribing to a watch forum!

Could not have said that better. The Affordables moderator, Tragic, has a collection ranging from a GW-300 G-Shock to a Rolex. Our tastes are many and varied.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i guess it is also a case of emotion vs practicality.
unlike some of you who narrow down to specific models, my habits are quite different.

there will be times when i know exactly what i am looking for. however, in most cases, i walk in and see if any `g-shock/watch' speaks to me. some would be instant attraction and i knew in my heart tt i will take it home, while others will take time to grow on me (mudman for e.g.). the rest, i wouldn't bat an eyelid on. & i can't seems to get a hold of myself most times....

it is a case of me being infected with g-shockitivitis.

my temporary cure is the cooling period i mentioned; 1...,2..., 3..., ....................20. and hopefully walk out the door empty handed.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
And the scary part is we probably know more about the watches and features better than the sales people do :-d:-d.
Uh-huh ;-) :-!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I've given up on trying to stop, but when the nausea and vomiting sit in I just can't take it..... but in all honesty I buy when I feel like it, at least when it comes to G's. I may purchase a Grand Seiko soon as well and if it becomes my "one watch" like Tragic's SeaDweller then... well.. so be it... But I don't see that happening but you never know..

·
Registered
765 Posts
At the end of the day, it is my wallet that controls my collection size ;-)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At the end of the day, it is my wallet that controls my collection size ;-)
as g-shocks are generally affordable watches, it will be a case of `lack of control', i think.

in most cases, u will find tt it doesn't hurt too much (in the wallet, i.e.) to add another Gs.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts