WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, it finally came and I can't get enough of...looking at it:LOL:. It feels like it's beautiful and poisonous at the same time. So beautiful but I don't dare to touch it. Maybe I will find the courage during the day and put it on my skinny hand and show it the world...maybe:).
Congrats! and welcome to the psychedelic club. Now you know why Irf calls it Hypno-Toad! He’s not wrong.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
I'm oscillating between regretting not buying this, and glad I didn't get it. The night I almost pulled the trigger, there were 3 left on watchia.

Its extremely loud and colourful, but most g-shocks are either black or metallic. Certainly a very unique watch. Hard to pair with an outfit, but gives a very cool flair.
Watchia’s price and quick shipping was hard to pass up. I bought 1 from them as a backup in case my preorder didn’t fulfill. I think if you were on the fence seeing it in person could‘ve easily swayed you and if it didn’t I doubt you would’ve had any problem recouping all your funds.

As mentioned, when I showed my wife a photo she thought it looked terrible but after I got it she thinks it’s beautiful and impressive. One of the few times she‘s taken a watch from me and tried it on.
But I totally get it.... the colors and bling aren’t for everyone.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I don’t think it was ever available in the US so you’ll have to look overseas. It’s too crazy for most of America. I would focus in Asia because a lot of EU retailers got there’s already? The EU was nice enough to sell at retail or below.

It’s a really nice piece. I thought it would be a novelty item and stand out too much to be able to wear often but I think it wears more like a black watch w/ funky accents and w/ all the different colors it goes w/ lots of different color clothes(outfits! Lol). I think it’s a lot less polarizing than a lot of colored G-SHOCKs, but that’s my opinion.

and it has crazy wrist presence and doesn’t look cheap or clowny at all in person. It really screams well done! Something photos, despite my best iPhone efforts, can’t quite convey.
View attachment 15489445
May I ask what’s your wrist size?

——————————
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Watchia’s price and quick shipping was hard to pass up. I bought 1 from them as a backup in case my preorder didn’t fulfill. I think if you were on the fence seeing it in person could‘ve easily swayed you and if it didn’t I doubt you would’ve had any problem recouping all your funds.

As mentioned, when I showed my wife a photo she thought it looked terrible but after I got it she thinks it’s beautiful and impressive. One of the few times she‘s taken a watch from me and tried it on.
But I totally get it.... the colors and bling aren’t for everyone.
I've sort of divided it into pros and cons in my head.

Pros:
  • Value increased by 50% the moment it sold out. (although I wouldn't know prior, seeing how watches like the GWF-1035 is still cheap, but the D1035 has pretty much doubled in value)
  • Very unique colour. Unlikely to be ever released in a similar colour (Unlike a lot of the limiteds, where its just rose gold, or copper + fancy words)
  • Conversation piece, very flashy
Cons:
  • Absolutely cannot be worn with any suits/work outfits
  • Value drops the moment you take out the plastic protection - I've never kept anything comic book collector style. If I want money, I go to work for it. If I want an investment, I buy shares.
  • Doesn't suit even a lot of the casual styles. Definitely not business casual or preppy. Hipster or grunge will suit this the best.
  • Pretty much only can be worn during the warmer weather on weekends, so something like 30 out of 365 days - Not a lot of warm days in Melbourne.
I think the last 2 points were the main ones that pushed me away. Its extremely unique, but I'm always counting uses per dollar in my head, and I don't think I'll use it very often.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
I don’t think it was ever available in the US so you’ll have to look overseas. It’s too crazy for most of America. I would focus in Asia because a lot of EU retailers got there’s already? The EU was nice enough to sell at retail or below.

It’s a really nice piece. I thought it would be a novelty item and stand out too much to be able to wear often but I think it wears more like a black watch w/ funky accents and w/ all the different colors it goes w/ lots of different color clothes(outfits! Lol). I think it’s a lot less polarizing than a lot of colored G-SHOCKs, but that’s my opinion.

and it has crazy wrist presence and doesn’t look cheap or clowny at all in person. It really screams well done! Something photos, despite my best iPhone efforts, can’t quite convey.
View attachment 15489445
i think youve done just fine with that photo. shows how muted it is irl (tho im sure when the light catches it right, it really comes alive) but also shows how completely legible it is from (im guessing) about 1m away. stark contrast to what a few of the naysayers were quite adamant about prior to release.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
i think youve done just fine with that photo. shows how muted it is irl (tho im sure when the light catches it right, it really comes alive) but also shows how completely legible it is from (im guessing) about 1m away. stark contrast to what a few of the naysayers were quite adamant about prior to release.
Thanks. The thing is it’s not muted irl. The bezel is crazy saturated w/ a mirror finish and sparkles like crazy.
For those that have an anafrog you know how the glass on it has a beautiful curvature and shine that doesn’t show in photographs well, the bezel on this is even more impressive irf vs photos.
Obviously I’m really impressed w/ this thing. It’s on a different level of coolness, blingyness and luxury over my beloved titanium square TCM. Which I think is impressive because the frog has so much plastic and rubber on it.
The only other G that I’d want more than this is the Bruce Lee MRG or........ 1 of the other specialty MRG. Since those are way out of my price range I’m a happy camper. 😁

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
I've sort of divided it into pros and cons in my head.

Pros:
  • Value increased by 50% the moment it sold out. (although I wouldn't know prior, seeing how watches like the GWF-1035 is still cheap, but the D1035 has pretty much doubled in value)
  • Very unique colour. Unlikely to be ever released in a similar colour (Unlike a lot of the limiteds, where its just rose gold, or copper + fancy words)
  • Conversation piece, very flashy
Cons:
  • Value drops the moment you take out the plastic protection - I've never kept anything comic book collector style. If I want money, I go to work for it. If I want an investment, I buy shares.
  • Doesn't suit even a lot of the casual styles. Definitely not business casual or preppy. Hipster or grunge will suit this the best.
  • Pretty much only can be worn during the warmer weather on weekends, so something like 30 out of 365 days - Not a lot of warm days in Melbourne.
I think the last 2 points were the main ones that pushed me away. Its extremely unique, but I'm always counting uses per dollar in my head, and I don't think I'll use it very often.
Sounds like you gave it a lot of thought and made the right choice. I think you nailed it, it’s a “hipster” type watch. I didn’t even know I was searching for that until now. Lol

I came really close to buying a MTG-B1000XBD, then the camo version but ended up getting the titanium square TCM. I love the idea and smallish size of the MTG but wished the legibility of the hands and indices was better, sides and bezel was more interesting/dimensional and had a cleaner design. A little too much stuff going on that breaks the design flow and I never felt they looked high end or as I now discovered “hipster”(thanks!). Nevertheless, I owned the “B” version and I really wanted an analog G to replace it and couldn’t be happier w/ the hypno-frog.

I did preorder the MTG-B1000VL but I’m not sure if they’ll get it? I did a lot of back and forth between the 2 watches and after countless hours of staring at photos I decided the frog was the 1 I really wanted.

edit- The MTG-B2000 looks really nice and fixes a lot of problems I have w/ the B1000 plus I think it looks a lot dressier.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
- really depends on your personal style but if guys can wear pink "salmon" or purple business shirts then a black watch with some pops of colour is nothing, would def. stand out less than some blingy gold thing. as per eaglepowers photo, from 1-2m ie. normal closest distance anyone would get to you, the colouring is cohesive in a jackson pollock kinda way lol. id wear it with a mid to darker teal shirt and either dial back the colour bomb with a darker neutral tie (dark grey or black) or go the coords with light autumn tones in a plaid design.

- incorrect, value is determined by the market regardless of attached plastic and unlike comics, you could wear it many times with a little bit of care and not show any wear at all. also if its a desired piece, youll get $$$ for it regardless, even if you didnt have the box. the 1035 isnt exactly cheap lol but it was much more of a GR than ppl expected and the colour wasnt so different than some previous models. its very much the exception to the rule when it comes to LE frogs. i still wouldnt beat on which ones would be worthy investment pieces tho!

- far more in place than wearing a mechanical or dress watch with casual clothes imo lol in the non-wis world its a "sports watch" so it literally goes with anything casual, the high end looks and shiny bits def. elevate it to business casual. not sure its its really something youd see at a grunge concert tho 😬😅 not sure if you could class it as hipster either, they tend to go for retro casios. they do tend to ruin everything they touch, so how about we dont say its a hipster watch? 😂
im wearing a frog today with a nike sb shirt and khakis and regularly do so with my streetwear/skater/stuck in the 90s styling and sensibilities lol. i think trying to pigeonhole it and worrying about what others might think or how it fits into a social circle that doesnt care what you wear is a bigger problem than what to actually wear it with haha 😂

- melbs has more hot days than that, its just broken up with rain and random cold snaps. def. not like the sustained stretches we have up here haha 🥵 i understand summery colours for summery days but that shouldnt lock you into drab colours cos you have mostly drab weather! but again thats personal preference.

your mind is clearly made up so you prob care little about this but it is a bit of an insight into the psyche of those that can/do wear bright colours 😊 ...and i once again have too much time on my hands 🤪

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Thanks. The thing is it’s not muted irl. The bezel is crazy saturated w/ a mirror finish and sparkles like crazy.
For those that have an anafrog you know how the glass on it has a beautiful curvature and shine that doesn’t show in photographs well, the bezel on this is even more impressive irf vs photos.
Obviously I’m really impressed w/ this thing. It’s on a different level of coolness, blingyness and luxury over my beloved titanium square TCM. Which I think is impressive because the frog has so much plastic and rubber on it.
The only other G that I’d want more than this is the Bruce Lee MRG or........ 1 of the other specialty MRG. Since those are way out of my price range I’m a happy camper. 😁
by muted, i mean its not as obvious as when its a rendering 10x the size on your computer screen and also not as wild as some of the other crazy clown vomit models that are out there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
- really depends on your personal style but if guys can wear pink "salmon" or purple business shirts then a black watch with some pops of colour is nothing, would def. stand out less than some blingy gold thing. as per eaglepowers photo, from 1-2m ie. normal closest distance anyone would get to you, the colouring is cohesive in a jackson pollock kinda way lol. id wear it with a mid to darker teal shirt and either dial back the colour bomb with a darker neutral tie (dark grey or black) or go the coords with light autumn tones in a plaid design.

- incorrect, value is determined by the market regardless of attached plastic and unlike comics, you could wear it many times with a little bit of care and not show any wear at all. also if its a desired piece, youll get $$$ for it regardless, even if you didnt have the box. the 1035 isnt exactly cheap lol but it was much more of a GR than ppl expected and the colour wasnt so different than some previous models. its very much the exception to the rule when it comes to LE frogs. i still wouldnt beat on which ones would be worthy investment pieces tho!

- far more in place than wearing a mechanical or dress watch with casual clothes imo lol in the non-wis world its a "sports watch" so it literally goes with anything casual, the high end looks and shiny bits def. elevate it to business casual. not sure its its really something youd see at a grunge concert tho 😬😅 not sure if you could class it as hipster either, they tend to go for retro casios. they do tend to ruin everything they touch, so how about we dont say its a hipster watch? 😂
im wearing a frog today with a nike sb shirt and khakis and regularly do so with my streetwear/skater/stuck in the 90s styling and sensibilities lol. i think trying to pigeonhole it and worrying about what others might think or how it fits into a social circle that doesnt care what you wear is a bigger problem than what to actually wear it with haha 😂

- melbs has more hot days than that, its just broken up with rain and random cold snaps. def. not like the sustained stretches we have up here haha 🥵 i understand summery colours for summery days but that shouldnt lock you into drab colours cos you have mostly drab weather! but again thats personal preference.

your mind is clearly made up so you prob care little about this but it is a bit of an insight into the psyche of those that can/do wear bright colours 😊 ...and i once again have too much time on my hands 🤪
LOL! All good points. I think “hipster”
means different things to different people. I took it more as someone who wants to stand out a little more w/ an artsier/edgier look. I live in LA, CA and I’m quilty of that. However, these days I’m mostly in tshirt, shorts/sweats.

I agree w/ you value wise. Love this and the 1035 but only time will tell?

You are absolutely right about this thing kicking it up a notch w/ it’s shiny bits. My MTG “B” version was a big step down from this.

I thought the sunny weather comment he made was weird but he does mention weekends only. So he’s not saying 30 hot days. ✌

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
by muted, i mean its not as obvious as when its a rendering 10x the size on your computer screen and also not as wild as some of the other crazy clown vomit models that are out there.
Yeah, sorry. I figured out what you meant after I posted. I left it because I wanted to share my thoughts on the bezel. I’m guessing the retail mark up the Borneo has over a standard Afrog is because of the polishing/treatment of the bezel? It’s very refined.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife is a designer, so I interact with a lot of hipsters. I think hipsters get too much flak, they support a major portion of the Melbourne economy and culture. Some of their stuff and combination is pretty unique and cool. A lot of music, art and fashion they do is experimental, and the well received ones go on to set the trend for the general public. That's how you get the trend of wearing retrol casio watches, its just a experimental trend that caught on.

Unfortunately my industry is pretty much the direct opposite of hipsters, so no pink shirts. Left field would be fancy cufflinks or a MTG with bracelet, and even then, I don't think its too kosher, and probably something they'll just tolerate rather than approve. Resin strap is where it pushes into the territory where the big wigs will start making comments about being presentable. Being hip to them is wearing your company's polo tee, with dress pants and a blazer on top, because that's what all the tech companies are doing, so we just copy them brainlessly. Its brain dead boring, but it pays the bills.

I can only wear it weekends, so I'm just counting the weekends I can wear it, which works out to be roughly 30 of them in a year. There's way more sunny days than that, but I wouldn't wear it every single weekend, as there'll be days I go climbing, or to the beach, or to a place that isn't great for bringing a 1.5k AUD watch to.

I'm still interested in the watch. If it came up for a good price, I'd probably buy it and sit on it for awhile before taking off the plastic and tags, and if I didn't want it in the end, I'd sell it. My wife actually really likes it, but her wrist is 5". Her hands are really small too, so it wouldn't be too secure. Big watches are dropping off for ladies fashion too.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Still on the fence with this one.......have hovered over the “buy” button several times......

cleaned out a bunch (again), and have a MTG-VL + MR-G G2000 incoming, so might just let the wallet rest for a while and see where prices/availability go!

Reactions: eaglepowers
61 - 80 of 138 Posts