WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
And dont take me wrong, world time or snooze are great, but I dont ever use them, and neither AEL

And not many basic gshocks have more than 6 functions, so some have to be the less useful to each of us

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
The display, so the timekeeping can actually be read rather than just exist inside a register. The strap and case so the watch attaches to the body and I can't lose it, and it stays together and doesn't disassemble inside the pocket. Hm what more.. I guess the battery?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The display, so the timekeeping can actually be read rather than just exist inside a register. The strap and case so the watch attaches to the body and I can't lose it, and it stays together and doesn't disassemble inside the pocket. Hm what more.. I guess the battery?
It's possibly the only thing holding the time-space continuum together!

·
Registered
89 Posts
My most useful functions
1) Solar/Atomic Clock
2) World Time
3) Digital Compass (surprisingly accurate and useful when hiking in new environment; easy to monitor your bearing when you are in a new city riding in a taxi)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If we are talking standard G-Shocks, the most useful features are: the countdown timer, the alarms, and the backlight. Conversely, EL panels, AEL, and WT (at least how it's implemented on most G-shocks) really do nothing for me.

I love having multiple alarms and chimes while studying as they allow me to pace myself and set reminders for goals and events throughout the day. I know most people just use their phones or devices for these functions nowadays (especially in the work from home environment) but I keep my study space free from electronics unless I absolutely need them. The backlight is self explanatory, particularly useful when going out for a jog at night, and the CDT is a must for the kitchen.

In the past I would've said that the WT function was a really well thought out and useful feature. However, after having played around with the Casio A500WA, I find the implementation of WT on most basic G-shocks a little lacking. I would love to have my 4-5 most used timezones in the main timekeeping screen so I can get to them quickly instead of having to scroll through a list on a separate screen (useful when you are juggling multiple group members in various time zones). EL is a similar story, while it may have been really cool and useful the late 90's, I find that the white LEDs on some newer G-Shock models (the kind that fade in and out smootly) are more visually pleasing and allow for better design/engineering choices (eg. thinner watches, better contrast etc.). Lastly, AEl. AEL is absolutely useless on a non solar g as it turns itself off all the time(so you are constantly having to turn it on), it drains battery (turns on anytime day or night), and is just plain annoying because it registers way too many false positives.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello everyone 👋🏻

I don't know if this is quite the point of the discussion for it's not so much a useless feature I'll mention but the way it was so badly, ridiculously bad, done that the feature ended up being useless.

Talking about the absolute useless led light in the GA100s and GA110s, it would it be the same not to have light at all... btw, those two are the models I know with that design flaw to say the least, I can't say anything about other models so far.

My excuses, most likely I'm out of topic, but thought this will be a nice opportunity to mention it.

Tschüss

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Most useful:
1. Accurate time - I cannot stress this enough. Sometime I mistrust my mechanicals even if I set them a few hours back and they all keep great time. Can't help it.

2. Light - a must have on any watch, except maybe divers with great lume. Wish it was configurable to use as a flashlight, like on most smart or sports watches.

3. Timer - for kitchen or kids ("you can play for 4 more minutes then we put these away" - there's always some haggling, but they keep to the term they agreed to).

Least useful:
1. Alarms - I have children and a cat, plus work form home, so I can't remember the last time when I woke up when I wanted to. Otherwise it is easier to set it on a phone. If it is super early it is more discreet to use a device that has vibe alarm, which is not standard of Gs for some reason.

2. World time - it is rarely useful. Most of the time I need it for work and then I'm sitting before a computer anyway with the necessary, easily configurable widgets.

3. None.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a GA100 with white hands that the LED kinda sorta illuminates and a red one with a red hour hand that the amber light makes it practically invisible. I feel your pain. And Lume on the indexes but not the hands? Really?

Hello everyone 👋🏻

I don't know if this is quite the point of the discussion for it's not so much a useless feature I'll mention but the way it was so badly, ridiculously bad, done that the feature ended up being useless.

Talking about the absolute useless led light in the GA100s and GA110s, it would it be the same not to have light at all... btw, those two are the models I know with that design flaw to say the least, I can't say anything about other models so far.

My excuses, most likely I'm out of topic, but thought this will be a nice opportunity to mention it.

Tschüss

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great article as always dude.
But...
- I love 😍 hour signal 📶 bep. bep....
And i know that I need work till next bep. bep. 😁
-alarms..
Always set...
1st - wake up together with cell phone.
2nd- time to move from toilet.
3rd - five minutes before work to smoke
4rd- five minutes before mid day pause.
5th - five minutes to end of work day.
😁
Auto El backlight
Was looking good on techno party in 90'🤯
Now only to make a picture for my colleague from watchuseek.com. 😁
🕊🕊🕊

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts
My preference, in no particular order:

Most useful:
1. EL Backlight
2. Hourly sig
3. Countdown timer

Least useful:
1. Moon phase
2. Tide graph
3. Auto EL

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find the implementation of WT on most basic G-shocks a little lacking. I would love to have my 4-5 most used timezones in the main timekeeping screen so I can get to them quickly instead of having to scroll through a list on a separate screen (useful when you are juggling multiple group members in various time zones).
Not a G-Shock, although the model has been recently mentioned here a lot, but the Casio DW-291H does have the ability to save your three favourite non-home time zones, where you can scroll between them, along with your set home time, on the home screen via button D. It's not a function that I use, but I did notice it and played about with it yesterday. Thought you'd like to know, despite it not being a G-Shock. Maybe some G-Shocks have this, but I only have two, both of which don't.

My favourite:

1 - Time
2 - Countdown Timer
3 - (rarely used, but I'll include it) Stopwatch

Least needed/favourite:

1 - A.EL
2 - Hourly chime
3 - PS (I don't dislike it and can see its use, but as I swap around with watches, the solars get window time between use, so no need to save power. Now and then, when I did use it, the screen didn't come out of PS when needed, which can irritate, so it's off for me.)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I must have 10 G Shocks, one for every outfit. I’m lucky if I can remember just how to set the time on them. Any other functions, except the light, I’m oblivious to. I just love the look and reliability. I like my atomic piece the best.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts