WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's a fun watch, but sadly, the GBX-100 is buy faaaaar the perfect square (imo). (I think my vote goes to the GMW-B5600)

Trash menu. Bluetooth. No Solar. No MB6. Auto light that turns off again every day. Buttons that function only when you let go ???? And many more little quips ...

It looks great. And the display is a great step in the right direction for negative displays. But that's about it.

I hope the GBX-200 will learn from these 'mistakes', but ... i doubt it.

But again, it looks great !

·
Registered
37 Posts
When G-Shocks start to veer into the "smartwatch" lane, I lose interest... and I suspect a lot of G-Shock fans will as well.

Now, G-Shock may gain a lot more fans as a result, as an alternative to an Apple Watch or Garmin; but to me, this will never be their "meat and potatoes" offering.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
When I first saw the GBX100 online, it held no interest for me, since I'm not a step counter kind of guy. But, then I got intrigued and bought one. And, I love it! I have NO use for the "fitness" features or the phone notifications... so I ignore them.

But, the GBX is worth getting JUST as a watch, JUST for the MIP display. It's THAT good. I agree about the strap, too. It's super-comfortable on the wrist.

I wrote up a review a while back:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I feel buttons that only function when letting go means they also have a different push and hold function on the same button?
All this talk about the GBX100 made me put mine on for today. I actually never noticed, until now, that the button functions on RELEASE. I'm not sure why that would be an "issue," but OK. As long as the buttons work. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sold mine after a week or so. Yea the MIP display is amazing, but for some reason I couldn't resonate with it being a G shock watch.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I agree with Racer, the display is worth the price of admission. Though it does become a much better watch when you ignore the app.
Definitely looking forward to a mip display in a simpler square design.
Yep.... I use it just as a watch. I would like to see the MIP display on some regular squares (or other digital models) instead of the negative LCDs.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
It's a fun watch, but sadly, the GBX-100 is buy faaaaar the perfect square (imo). (I think my vote goes to the GMW-B5600)

Trash menu. Bluetooth. No Solar. No MB6. Auto light that turns off again every day. Buttons that function only when you let go ???? And many more little quips ...

It looks great. And the display is a great step in the right direction for negative displays. But that's about it.

Also, no ability to set time seconds without using the app, no fast-scrolling during setting when pressing and holding the buttons, only 1-second resolution on the stopwatch, short maximum CDT time (without using repeats).

It's a great looking watch, with an excellent display and a nice form factor, but this isn't enough to make up for the limitations for me.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I like to use my G-Shocks as watches mainly with the additional benefit of a world time feature. I agree the menu is trash but how often are you setting it up? Bluetooth is great for the initial setup to get around the trash menus lol No solar - this one I did mention as it took me a while to overcome. No MB6 is no loss for me as I've never had any of my G-Shocks actually receive the signal from the atomic center... bluetooth ensures the sync is more often done and consistent.

I think the true value is the screen and the capabilities with the display frankly. The ability to customize your display and have multiple "home" screens is cool. I agee that the notifications is very poorly implemented but I've also turned them off.

Let's see if the GBX-200 exists and if they'll add Solar to the mix... only issue I fear is solar will not be strong enough for a MIP display or the vibrational alarms.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Great G-Shock, imo. Out of the norm for traditional G-Shocks, so I think some people are hesitant to embrace it.

It does a lot of things good:
-The display is stellar
-Super comfortable, thanks to the soft and supple band and the smaller incremental sizings on the strap itself
-good looking

True, that it has functions that most people will not use because it sucks (notifications).

Yes, solar would be good, but batteries are super easy to change.

·
Registered
Just one more TX Timex Enabler Club
10,662 Posts
When I first saw the GBX100 online, it held no interest for me, since I'm not a step counter kind of guy. But, then I got intrigued and bought one. And, I love it! I have NO use for the "fitness" features or the phone notifications... so I ignore them.

But, the GBX is worth getting JUST as a watch, JUST for the MIP display. It's THAT good. I agree about the strap, too. It's super-comfortable on the wrist.
Double Ditto!

GBX 100 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
This watch is priced low enough that it's worth owning for the clean modern design and high contrast MIP display alone. As some kind of pseudo smart watch, it's laughable at best, which is why I disabled notifications. The resin strap is damn comfortable though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts