WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this online from a trusted seller through the Shopee app (similar to our eBay and Gumtree in the UK) for a really good price the other week. It was listed as used but the watch and box looked new apart from the discoloured jelly that had gone yellow over a decade.

I looked online and bought a new rubber bezel and straps from seller on eBay located in Manchester and within a week they had arrived in Thailand.

So I took the opportunity to take a few photos to show just how bad the discolouration is (some call it patina but personally I’m not a fan):

Here’s the watch untouched:

Here’s a comparison with the ICERC Frogman and the transparent jelly in comparison to the 25th anniversary frosted jelly. Surprising what a decade brings in improvements to technology and materials:

Replacement parts (yellow tint due to desk):

Dismantled the parts. Springbar under each strap and four screws for the bezel. There was no dirt around the case which surprised me. This could have passed for an unworn watch:

Old vs new jelly:

An opportunity to take a look at the 2422 module on its own (note some clouding around the edges):

Bezel fitted and test screen activated:

End results:

I’m glad I ordered the replacement jelly as it freshens up a ten year old watch. Tempted to dye the discoloured jelly but still deciding on a colour that will complement the gold case. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought this online from a trusted seller through the Shopee app (similar to our eBay and Gumtree in the UK) for a really good price the other week. It was listed as used but the watch and box looked new apart from the discoloured jelly that had gone yellow over a decade.

I looked online and bought a new rubber bezel and straps from seller on eBay located in Manchester and within a week they had arrived in Thailand.

So I took the opportunity to take a few photos to show just how bad the discolouration is (some call it patina but personally I’m not a fan):

Here’s the watch untouched:

Here’s a comparison with the ICERC Frogman and the transparent jelly in comparison to the 25th anniversary frosted jelly. Surprising what a decade brings in improvements to technology and materials:

Replacement parts (yellow tint due to desk):

Dismantled the parts. Springbar under each strap and four screws for the bezel. There was no dirt around the case which surprised me. This could have passed for an unworn watch:

Old vs new jelly:

An opportunity to take a look at the 2422 module on its own (note some clouding around the edges):

Bezel fitted and test screen activated:

End results:

I’m glad I ordered the replacement jelly as it freshens up a ten year old watch. Tempted to dye the discoloured jelly but still deciding on a colour that will complement the gold case. Any suggestions?
Color it green!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Great Pics @Irf!! Love the transformation, I would do Royal Blue Metallic!!! :-!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Color it green!
What shade? Like the Kermit Frogman?

Great Pics @Irf!! Love the transformation, I would do Royal Blue Metallic!!! :-!
The problem with Dylon etc are that the shades can be hit and miss depending on the material and how bad the yellowing has already set in. I do like a brighter blue Frogman though and it would go well with the Gold module.

Don’t color it at all. It’s the original. Just put it in a ziplock bag and store it with your other watch parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The replacement bands are already originals and I’m sure over time they will also turn yellow lol. Not that any of my watches are for sale. It even if this one was I don’t think having the original yellow band would add any value over the replacement ones that look clear and fresh.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
A great restoration of swapping out the discoloured bands and bezel casing. I would not colour it for the watch looks fantastic as is.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Looks great, just got 1 as well. It came with 2 new black band and bezel sets and gold screw set. Wear it proudly.

Now you need one of these for the SO.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts