WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time post here, a wonderful forum by the way. Without it I would have never have gotten as far as I have in restoring my G-Shock as I have, I'm at my wits end though now with one final piece...

-

This is my father's watch, a sad sight I know but a testament to the durability of these watches. It traveled with him since he purchased it new through many a harsh condition until it met it's untimely end about 5 years ago. My father was working at a phosphate plant out in Mulberry, Florida when a large nut about 3.5i"x1" fell from 3 stories up off of a piece of scaffolding ultimately hitting his wrist most likely saving it from breaking, the watch however cracked, he continued wearing it for a few months afterwards until a rock had shot out of one of the reject tubes and again hit him in the wrist leaving the watch as you see now. I recently pulled it out of a drawer out of curiosity to see if it was salvageable, I'd love to fix it for him good as new for this Christmas but I cannot for the life of me find another crystal, do any of you members out there have one in good shape off a parts watch or a spare you'd be willing to part with :-s Also are there any tricks to re polishing the back of these watches?

-Alex

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Holy G !!!!!!! that is one tough SOB.
dun think u can change the crystal, just like that.

its either u get another dw-5600C and change the module or get a DW-5000 series and swap out the model. fortunately the bezel and band is cheaply available from Casio USA.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The DW-5600C crystals are nearly impossible to get ahold of. Even if you did, how would you press it into the case without breaking it?

Personally, I would save that watch just like it is. You could find another DW-5600C on Ebay to fix up and wear. Even if you found one that was missing the bezel and band, you could easily replace those by ordering them through Casio USA, like mansrow said. :)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Holy G !!!!!!! that is one tough SOB.
dun think u can change the crystal, just like that.

its either u get another dw-5600C and change the module or get a DW-5000 series and swap out the model. fortunately the bezel and band is cheaply available from Casio USA.

if its too much to restore you can get a new one from amazon for only 30 dollars very good price. it is not a screwback like the one you have but should be pretty durable. sounds like Gs have saved dad a couple of times :-! thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I ordered a bezel,band,spings,screws and gasket set for it. I was hoping perhaps a member had a case sitting around gathering dust, all the 5600's a see on ebay are messed up in one way or the other crystal wise. I'd also like to do the lcd inversion mod as well while Im at it. Another quick question, did the 5600c-v1 have those 2 protection bars ever or was that on later models, and will they fit if so? Annnd where can I get them :-d

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, that watch has sure taken a beating.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It very hard to say whats fair. if you like it get it. there is always a chance that one might show up cheaper but they are getting harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Very interesting story. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.
Geode

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Well I kept an eye on ebay and ended up jumping on this, does the price seem fair? I hope the crystal looks as good in person as it does in the picture. I just got in my rebuild kit as well for the watch, new springs, washers,screws, rubber, everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260288067444
I think that's a fair price but really you'll have to be the judge of that once you've inspected it carefully. Anyway you got it so fingers crossed. Hope everything works out well and good luck! :-!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Well I kept an eye on ebay and ended up jumping on this, does the price seem fair? I hope the crystal looks as good in person as it does in the picture. I just got in my rebuild kit as well for the watch, new springs, washers,screws, rubber, everything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260288067444

Welcome mate.:)

Sorry to see your dad's G getting mangled up.

The watch on the eBay link seems to be in good condition, minus the bezel, of course.

I am sure fellow forumers would be looking forward to your revived G. Do post pictures when you have revive it. ;-)

Cheers,
MountainMike

·
Registered
189 Posts
A heads up... be careful with those side screws or dont even try to remove them, screws tend to seize in the case and can easily break off...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do, I'll make sure to post pics as soon as it comes and after its assembled. I think the seller posted another pic after I bought it, its of the screw back which looks really clean for it's age.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think that's a fair price, looks like it's in nice shape!:-!

A NOS 5600C won't usually fetch over $200-$250 unless it has all the accesories and is a module 691 Japan A.
Most 5600C's on eBay go between $50-100, and almost all are module 901 Japan H and are missing the original bezel.

When you replace the bezel make sure to put it into some hot water for a minute or so and then pull it over the screws. Trying to unscrew the screws will break them off in the case. Trust me it's not even worth trying.

I agree with above said keep the one in the pic as is and redo the resin on the one you just got.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts