WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My first post. Finally decided to sign up as this forum has been a great help for a little while now.

My story and questions are as follows:

I just started a job going out at sea. Even when not working, I spend a good amount of time in and around water. I'm not wearing a watch at the moment and after searching for a bit, I think I've decided on a G-Shock, specifically the DW6900 (I think). I originally wanted a watch with tide function for surfing and beach-bumming (like the Freestyle's and Rip Curl offerings), but decided against as they tend to not work well on the west coast anyway and I can see that info on my phone quite well. I also want to keep the cost down as much as possible. This is also the reason why I, sadly, will have to stay away from barometric pressure functions and all of that.
Never had a digital watch, never a G Shock, was never a fan either, but now something from childhood is pulling at my strings and I think I'm gonna jump on one. so ANYWAY.

DW6900 also comes in the "wannabe military" version.

I prefer the blacked out bezel, it's sexy. But I will disagree with most people who say the negative displays as such look cool, I think they look kinda dull and remind me more of a crappy Tiger handheld game from the 90's (the ugly shadows are to blame). Easy pick, then, right?

But here lies the problem- I wear polarized sunglasses out on the water, rain or shine, until it actually gets dark. ALL of the time.
I've just toyed around with a few Casio's and G-Shocks at Target and noticed, that the regular displays were almost impossible to read with my sunglasses on. I know what causes this and that one needs to look at the watch straight on, but this is inconvenient and plain annoying. I can never get it quite right and have to peek above my sunglasses to actually see anything. Out in the sunlight the LCD+Polarized combination almost makes it unreadable.

Now, I don't know if I'm wrong, but I also held a Casio with a negative display and didn't notice this issue even in dim conditions. It's almost like they (sunglasses+neg display) just work together. I could just read the watch fine. But I haven't taken it out in bright conditions and glare... Again, sorry guys, no digital watch experience, zero...

IS this how it is- that the negative displays work with polarized.. or am I just imagining things? :think:

I'm asking because I'm gonna get one soon and don't want to buy something that is not going to work in conditions that this watch was purposefully bought for.
And no, none of my polarized sunnies are going anywhere :)

How good are the red digits, are they readable?

Are both backlights similar? I need to think of how bright they actually are if they would cause any issues in a dark wheelhouse (not a big issue to me right now). Red backlight would be awesome.

So anyways. I think that's it for now. Sorry for the long post, but I thought you watch nerds wouldn't mind me going on...
I want to get something that last me a good while and that I'm happy with it.

and Thanks

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
are you kidding ? the longer the post, the warmer the welcome

when I have the Sea, and the Sun, I tend to look for the missing S. to feel my life complete - and the last thing I'd bother checking is Time

so nope, I am not gonna give you advice about Gshock, Watch, Time or whatever

enjoy and be safe ! ;-)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek!

LCD displays actually contain their own polarization filter, which make the digits appear as either "black digits on a white background" OR "light digits on a dark background."

Take a look at this thread where people have taken their watches apart to change the display: https://www.watchuseek.com/f43/how-convert-plain-dw-5600-negative-display-129102.html (No, I'm not expecting you to take your future new watch apart like that, but it's often nice to know exactly HOW things work! :) )

In your case, it sounds like the polarization filters on the negative displays you were looking at lined up perfectly with the polarization of your glasses, so you were able to read them, and that the filters on the positive displays were at 90 degree angles to your glasses so the LCD appeared dark.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If the negative display works well for your purposes, then go for it. I have one negative display Rangeman, and it's fine. Not sure about red digits, I have no experience there.

EBenke

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
In my experience the negative display will have the same effect as positive when wearing polarized shades. You should be able to read them straight on but they will blank out at a 90 degree angle.

I took a couple of shots of the 6900ms through a pair of polarized Costas to give you an example

here it is straight on through the glasses

and here it is at a 90 degree angle (I kept the shades in the same position over the camera and moved the position of the watch). As you can see, even the negative is unreadable from this angle.

Hope this helps...And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome! I promise we don't bite.

As far as the backlight goes (in reference to a DW6900) it is the same as most 6900s; greenish blue. No red backlight unless you want to put in a LOT of work. if you get a positive (light background/dark numbers) the glow is a lot brighter, as the light comes from the background, whereas a negative display (dark background/light numbers) the light comes through the numbers. This is because of the polarization. As far as your sunglasses issue, I am of no help there. Unless you want to remove the top film from the display and ONLY see the time when you wear sunglasses ;)

No, don't do that.

Any 6900 you buy will hold up to a beating, just up to you to find the model you want. If you can peep positive and negative screens with your sunglasses, take note of which you can see better, base your FIRST G-Shock on that (trust me, you'll get more....)

That's all I can really say for now, so again, welcome and best of luck!

I should add, positive and negative lit in a dark room are both VERY legible. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you kidding ? the longer the post, the warmer the welcome

when I have the Sea, and the Sun, I tend to look for the missing S. to feel my life complete - and the last thing I'd bother checking is Time

so nope, I am not gonna give you advice about Gshock, Watch, Time or whatever

enjoy and be safe ! ;-)
Ha, thank you! I know, that's how I've been all this time pretty much, but now I gotta do timed and schedules things out at sea, weird huh? :)

In your case, it sounds like the polarization filters on the negative displays you were looking at lined up perfectly with the polarization of your glasses, so you were able to read them, and that the filters on the positive displays were at 90 degree angles to your glasses so the LCD appeared dark.
Not sure now, but it'd have to be the case, methinks. I guess another run to check out the differences is in order

In my experience the negative display will have the same effect as positive when wearing polarized shades. You should be able to read them straight on but they will blank out at a 90 degree angle.

I took a couple of shots of the 6900ms through a pair of polarized Costas to give you an example

here it is straight on through the glasses

and here it is at a 90 degree angle (I kept the shades in the same position over the camera and moved the position of the watch). As you can see, even the negative is unreadable from this angle.

Hope this helps...And welcome to the forum!
THANK YOU for the pictures! That's super helpful and evidence right there |> What I'm still wondering about is if contrast, looking at the neg display through the glasses, is higher, than reg display. It could be why it seemed that I could read it better, while I could read it at all

Welcome! I promise we don't bite.

As far as the backlight goes (in reference to a DW6900) it is the same as most 6900s; greenish blue. No red backlight unless you want to put in a LOT of work. if you get a positive (light background/dark numbers) the glow is a lot brighter, as the light comes from the background, whereas a negative display (dark background/light numbers) the light comes through the numbers.
If you can peep positive and negative screens with your sunglasses, take note of which you can see better, base your FIRST G-Shock on that (trust me, you'll get more....)
Cool, thank you for that! All new info to me. Nah, definitely not gonna mess with my watch :) as it's gonna have quite a lot of time in water as well, wouldn't want to compromise the integrity in any way. Which kind made me think- what happens when you do need to change the battery? Do you do it yourself or do you have to take it in somewhere? I know a lot of watches don't suggest being tinkered with in any way, to not compromise its waterproofness.
I especially liked the last sentence, ain't that right... seems like an addiction, alright... One thing is to look at them in pics (didn't really like them), another- holding them in your hands. There's something about them. There are a lot of watches I'd like to have, some that I'd still like to have even more than a G-Shock, perhaps, but they would not survive long with my lifestyle. Well, I have one analog watch I bought in the UK and it's gone through some sea time (surfing etc) but now working on decks with non-skid treatment (basically crushed walnut shell) and out on docks, the bezel would get messed up within hours.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Nah, definitely not gonna mess with my watch :) as it's gonna have quite a lot of time in water as well, wouldn't want to compromise the integrity in any way. Which kind made me think- what happens when you do need to change the battery? Do you do it yourself or do you have to take it in somewhere? I know a lot of watches don't suggest being tinkered with in any way, to not compromise its waterproofness.
There are dozens of a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ threads around here on this particular subject. The short version based on everything I've read here in four years:

• Some people are convinced that when their watch's battery dies, they need to take it to someone who claims to know what they are doing.
  • Many of those people at jewelry stores, watch kiosks, and watch repair stores DO know what they're doing. A few of them even suggest here at WUS that ONLY experts such as themselves should attempt to change batteries.
  • Many other people at jewelry stores, watch kiosks, and watch repair stores DO NOT know what they are doing, and many of them either:
    • look down at G-Shocks, Casios, and other "plastic watches" and therefore don't do a good job OR
    • see a prospective sales opportunity when they do a bad job and don't properly replace the caseback gasket and it leaks.
  • Many (if not most) forum regulars have had bad experiences with someone doing an inept job on their watches, have learned to follow the instructions in the many threads in the "Articles and Tutorials" section, purchased a small screwdriver set, some silicone grease and maybe a magnifying glass, and do their own battery changes without having any problems at all.

Personally, I stopped trusting specialty shops to change batteries after TWO of them failed to properly change the battery in my first DW-5600E and charged me something ridiculous like $5 or $10 for a replacement caseback gasket. I ended up paying almost as much as I would have had to spend for a brand new version of the same watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There are dozens of a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ threads around here on this particular subject. The short version based on everything I've read here in four years:
I will have to look around more, I haven't stumbled upon one of those arguments yet... I like your point about watchmaker's looking down upon Casio's. I can definitely imagine that happening. This goes with most things. Money can buy quality. It is kind of like auto detailing. There will be hundreds upon hundreds of idiots with a rotary and some wax ready to pounce on you on every corner, but only a handful (if that!) of professionals in any given city, that actually know what they're doing and want to do a great job. It is almost like you need to own a high end luxury item to get through the right doors sometimes.

Wondering if there's a network of "trusted" stores- in bigger cities, that people have had good experiences with? Would be a cool read.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In general, right now I guess I'll just have to be trying to choose between the 6900 MS and regular.

Looking around for prices. I suppose I should indeed spend a little bit more time checking out both negative and regular displays. Is there a difference between the 6900MS negative display and any other Casio watches (apart from the fact that the digits are colored)?
I see the digits are red, does that mean they don't really exhibit the inside shadows? Are they easier to read than others?

Lots of questions...

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,653 Posts
In General Displays without tint are easier to read.
Bold numbers are easier to read too.
The GD-350 got some good Reviews about the negative Display.

Are analog Hands G-Shocks out of question for you? :)

There are no Problems with polarizing sunglasses.

In general, right now I guess I'll just have to be trying to choose between the 6900 MS and regular.

Looking around for prices. I suppose I should indeed spend a little bit more time checking out both negative and regular displays. Is there a difference between the 6900MS negative display and any other Casio watches (apart from the fact that the digits are colored)?
I see the digits are red, does that mean they don't really exhibit the inside shadows? Are they easier to read than others?

Lots of questions...

·
Registered
703 Posts
As far as battery changes go, it will pay off in the long run to learn to do them yourself, then you can blame only yourself if it takes water (which is kinda rare if you do things right) and you can't complain about price. Plus, with doing watch work yourself comes some pride, just like changing a car part yourself! It really isn't difficult but that's biased coming from me ;)

Read up how to change your own battery (which you shouldn't have to for a few years) and then when the time comes it'll seem really easy. Also, never hurts to buy a beater just to practice on! Plus, you can buy new bezel/straps for most of them, and that's where the fun of custom G-Shocks starts!

Quick run-down on changing a 6900 battery:

Take off the straps, look up how to do this, fairly simple.
Undo four screws on the back, pull the back off.
There will be a rubber sheet covering the guts, remove this.
Locate battery (right in front of you!) and take a needle or something slim to slip the "lock" holding the bar down.
Slide the battery out, slide new battery in, reverse everything you just did, DONE!

Oh maybe an AC reset, which I don't feel is super necessary on a 6900...others might argue this though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In General Displays without tint are easier to read.
Bold numbers are easier to read too.
The GD-350 got some good Reviews about the negative Display.

Are analog Hands G-Shocks out of question for you? :)
Not really, I love analog. But I think that where I really DO need a watch, precision and the ability to quickly read the time is a must. It's interesting, but when I look at analogs, I typically think visually. With digital time, I just need to mess with numbers in my head. OR use the timer. Does that make sense? But I'm open to suggestions!

As far as battery changes go, it will pay off in the long run to learn to do them yourself, then you can blame only yourself if it takes water (which is kinda rare if you do things right) and you can't complain about price.
Thanks for the write up! It gives me a clear idea. Time and tools permitting, I do enjoy learning how to do things myself.

not having a G and worrying about changing battery? life NOT stresses you out much ?
If this comment was for me, no where did I say I was even in the slightest 'worrying' about changing the battery?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,653 Posts
As a affordable but full featured ana-digi you might think about the solar-atomic AWG-M100:

GA-100 Standard battery driven with high contrast Hands (in some Color variations):

There are others but those 2 are around 100$.

Higher end Gs are often fully analog but not below 150$ or so.

Not really, I love analog. But I think that where I really DO need a watch, precision and the ability to quickly read the time is a must. It's interesting, but when I look at analogs, I typically think visually. With digital time, I just need to mess with numbers in my head. OR use the timer. Does that make sense? But I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would buy the MS bezel and strap and put it on a regular DW-6900. Best of both worlds. That's what I did to my 'vintage' DW-6900 when the bezel broke. Reading a G with polarised sunglasses is fine as long as you look at it straight on. From an angle it goes black.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I do like those 2 analog watches. I've been browsing some more of them online.

Some others I've been looking at are the G100 and the different versions of GA100.

I've also been eyeing the DW5600 a lot more lately. I'm not really into the whole 80's vibe of the regular one, but the MS looks awesome. I have one worry about it, though- since the bezel is so low - or almost flat with the screen- could this watch see a lot more damage to the screen?

I'm glad I'm taking my time with my decision, though. I know it sounds weird, but the whole design concept of a G-Shock is still pretty new to me, so I keep either changing my mind or adding models as I learn more.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,653 Posts
Regarding the 5600 and other flat models:
My expirience is that those flat watches are not getting snagged by obstacles like bulkier models.
The amount of sctratches on my 5600s (0) is lower then on my others (1 DW-6900 with 2 scratches). ;-)

The 5600s are tougher then your wrist, though! ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do like those 2 analog watches. I've been browsing some more of them online.

Some others I've been looking at are the G100 and the different versions of GA100.

I've also been eyeing the DW5600 a lot more lately. I'm not really into the whole 80's vibe of the regular one, but the MS looks awesome. I have one worry about it, though- since the bezel is so low - or almost flat with the screen- could this watch see a lot more damage to the screen?

I'm glad I'm taking my time with my decision, though. I know it sounds weird, but the whole design concept of a G-Shock is still pretty new to me, so I keep either changing my mind or adding models as I learn more.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
It only sounds weird for this forum! ;-) When I was new to G-Shocks and this forum, IF I had taken my time and done more research, I could have saved a few hundred bucks. Instead, I did just enough research to think "oh, this one looks perfect!" and buying it, and then a month later finding another watch, then another a month later, and another two months later. "THIS one looks even better! It doesn't have the _____ that I don't like that much on my last one, AND it has ______ too!" :-d

If YOU take your time picking out the "right G" the first time, you might not end up buying more watches than you really need. :-!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mike K: If YOU take your time picking out the "right G" the first time, you might not end up buying more watches than you really need. :-!

Where's the fun in that?! Thanks to this place, I now have 4 working, one broken (due to my trying to "mod" it) and one in the air. The worst part-now I'm interested in a Rangeman. I moving to a mountain top, away from civilization...... (but my GW6900 is still gonna charge and sync!:))

1 - 20 of 29 Posts