WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
In short….
Any of them.
Personally I think you'd be better off buying a nice dive computer, but all G's are dive worthy and can serve as back up dive timers via the chrono fxn.
Find one you like and go for it.
Diving is amazing, enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I doe know? ... :think: ... They say when you asked real frogman's ...

... that question, ... 9.5 out of 11.75 said they'd pick a ....

... Frogman! .... :rodekaart:rodekaart:rodekaart

Sorry OP, I just couldn't resist! .. :-d .. I'm sure you'll get sound advise from folks who do dive! But as U can see, it ain't from the wisenheimer Pops! ...b-)

Ok, ok, I've been work'in all night, I'm tired as heck, and I still gotta take our Miss Harlee to the Vet (Why? .... So we can make the Doc's monthly BMW payment for her)! ... o|

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I like an old school square as a backup to the dive computer (DW-5000 or 5600)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with Onrypt. 100%
The only thing i'd add is that it's said you shouldn't press the buttons whilst under. (except the frog) I do and haven't had a problem yet.

Like he says tho, a computer would be a better bet. Allot depends on the type of diving you're doing and how often you're gonna do it. Nice easy Caribbean rec diving like we do here barely warrants even a computer, unless you're accumulating for a few days in a row. Low viz colder water diving, then you want to take it very much more seriously.

No matter which way you go, nothing beats experience. In gaining that, it's very easy to over task load yourself. No offense, but if you're learning, the last thing you want to be doing is playing with your shiny new toy whilst you're in an unfamiliar environment that could kill you. In addition, you'll piss your instructor right off.
(I really dont mean to be condescending. I'm a DM, it really does piss instructors right off, trust me)

Good luck. It is a fantastic sport.
Dan.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
Any model without a countdown timer should be a no-go. Analogs or ana-digis are usually too hard to read and have too many compromises so they are out too. Same goes for all models with negative display. Also it would be best if the digits were rather large and therefore easy to read, so the G-7900 series would be my first choice (fairly large digits and super easy to press buttons also with gloves).

cheers

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have been diving with both Gs and my Seamaster, any basic digital model with a standard display will work just fine. A countdown timer is not necessary. A computer is nice, but if you don't plan to dive often, you won't get much use from it, and they can be rented at most dive destinations. Also, you will be using manual dive tables for your certification (or when I certified I did) and the only piece of gear that I needed to bring was a watch with a chronograph or rotating bezel.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
While a G-Shock will survive diving, it won't necessarily work well as a diving watch (unless it's a Frogman). Keep in mind being able to easily press buttons and that the buttons are reliably water tight (some watches are leak susceptible when pressing buttons while submerged).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used to dive recreationally and I think an inexpensive analogue watch with a diver's bezel does the job best. Analogue watches are easier to read underwater and a diver's bezel can be used even with gloves on. You'll have difficulty pressing the buttons on a G with gloves on. Watch crystals always reflect underwater and you need to look at them squarely to see the time (unless your watch is a "hydro" like the Sinn UX). So, small digital numbers are hard to see and negative displays are a definite no-no. Also, if you plan to progress to doing night dives in the future, you'd want an analogue with lume rather than to struggle with a light button under water in pitch black darkness.

What you want is a fuss free watch you can set and then focus on the dive. You don't really need a dive computer for recreational diving, save that money (for now anyway) and spend it on other equipment. The most important thing on a watch when diving is the timer and for that, an analogue with a diver's bezel is still the simplest most elegant solution. I would get a Casio or a Seiko diver. They are as cheap as a G-shocks and the look the part too - better than a G-shock would (other than a Frogman of course).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Frogman is of course the G that Casio want you to use, but sadly as great as they are they're not cheap. I would follow Cal.45's advice, any G with a big, positive display should suffice, a count down timer is essential.

The Mudman 9300 is my fav G, great display, for me it would be perfect for diving.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bro i dive a lot with my g shocks and so do my buddies, and ive seen all kinds of them leak and in my opinion they all will eventually. We have the best luck with the mudman and its nice because it has two stop watches where some others only have one. Just my opinion. If youre night diving get the negative display... imo the positive one is too bright for night dives.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interesting to hear 1313. Perhaps i should stop running the risk. Out of interest does this include the frog?

I'm a big fan of Suunto, but i wonder if the same eventual fail applies. My stinger's headed back to their work shop for the third time. The D9's still going strong but has many fewer dives. (all always rinsed Apres Spa). Never did take the X9i or the X10 under but both are headed for repair. (the x9i again!) They dont have the G's stamina. (JMO)

Out of interest Neural, their SK-7 compasses are a worthy investment, if you do take it up seriously seriously.
Dan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.