WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just purchased my first G-Shock. I got it because of the durability aspect of course. But when it comes to the resin they use, how well does it stand up to industrial chemicals. I assume solvents are a no go, but what about things like diesel, gas, hydraulic oil etc... I avoid getting these chemicals on my watch generally of course, but when working on heavy equipment its bound to happen.

Also below is a pic of the watch since who doesn't like a good wrist shot:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Random Rob on youtube got some spray-on on his frogman (I think it was the GWF-1000?), and the DEET in it caused shiny flecks on it, didn't look good at all.

I'd also advise against wearing or placing your g-shock near any form of painting solvent. I paint scale models, and solvents will eat through the most unexpected things, from spectacles to rubber gloves, so you're right on that count.

I've tried using gasoline to strip paint, and it melted the plastic, so I'd assume it'd be bad for the resin.

Resin isn't the best or most stable compound there is. I used to do resin casting and printing, and its really finicky and toxic (While curing, cutting or sanding). It has its uses, and I suppose it gives g-shocks its shock resistance, but in between all the rotting bezels, I hope they're improved their formula. UV light does havoc on resin, causing it to degrade. I left some transparent resin to cure in UV lamp by accident overnight, and the next day it turned into a brown/black mush.

That's why I'm stressing out over buying the new LE frogman. Its a solar watch, but there's transparent resin bits, which doesn't inspire any confidence at all. You need the sun for it to live, but the sun will kill it at the same time, or at least, yellow it. Heard they changed to a new formula, which made their translucents much clearer and apparently resistant to UV, but its only been out a couple of years. I've been researching, but can't find any news on the topic.

·
Registered
754 Posts
only you would wear a yellow gshock working with those stuffs

the resins are tougher than you think but the yellow will get dirty quickly

I like your G, btw, I can't find it anywhere

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only you would wear a yellow gshock working with those stuffs

the resins are tougher than you think but the yellow will get dirty quickly

I like your G, btw, I can't find it anywhere
Hahaha nahhh yellow is the easiest color possible to keep clean! I dont mind a dirty watch to much, I try to avoid it but when work calls I ain't gonna go easy on it.

And thank you! As for where I found it, I saw it on instagram on a watch account so I googled the model and was lucky enough to find it on amazon. Only place I could find it. Had to pay a little premium but hey, I like yellow!

Reactions: Dxnnis and g-fob2

·
Premium Member
63,871 Posts
Perhaps the best way of thinking about it is if you shouldn’t really be getting it on your skin then your G falls into the same category.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Perhaps the best way of thinking about it is if you shouldn’t really be getting it on your skin then your G falls into the same category.
Don't work with some screen protecting substances which are devastating for plastics....

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds to me like you need a metal watch.
My last one was metal (Pro Diver) but the look of this G-Shock is really nice IMO. Plus I dont have much contact with these chemicals so likely I wont have a issue. More of a ‘what if’ scenario.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
I paint scale models
cool! what kind? i dabble when i have the time... which is never. got a huge backlog in the "one day" cupboard haha

but in between all the rotting bezels, I hope they're improved their formula.
theres no more rotting bezels, well not in the last 15-20years at least and the ones that did rot were only certain models from certain factories during a short period of time

UV light does havoc on resin, causing it to degrade
yes but G resin is treated so it holds up much better than any ol resin.
since youre new, here's something i prepared earlier ;)
basically, itll last the life of the watch (not counting physical wear/damage), much longer if you take a small amount of care and have more than one (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
cool! what kind? i dabble when i have the time... which is never. got a huge backlog in the "one day" cupboard haha

theres no more rotting bezels, well not in the last 15-20years at least and the ones that did rot were only certain models from certain factories during a short period of time

yes but G resin is treated so it holds up much better than any ol resin.
since youre new, here's something i prepared earlier ;)
basically, itll last the life of the watch (not counting physical wear/damage), much longer if you take a small amount of care and have more than one (y)

Tanks, 1/16 and 1/35. This is my 1/16 RC, and 1/35 internals.

Scale models aside, I had a beautiful raysman, middle sea race. White bezel rotted away after 4 years. Went to Casio to get a replacement, they gave me a black one. Rotted away after 4 years again. Very very annoying, as my mum bought me that watch during a tough period, and I wanted it nice and good to keep as memory. Very very annoyed. That was around 10-20 years ago, and was the last watch I owned before my current B1000. Plus all my tinkering with resin has more or less greatly turned me off from resin, as I do casting and printing with it. That's why I infinitely prefer metal bracelets to resin straps.

The straps aren't even the issue, when my raysman rotted away, it was just the bezel and not the strap both times, so obviously they're 2 different chemical compounds. In fact, I still have the original strap and replacement strap. NFI why they still persist in making transparent watches when it becomes such an ugly yellow after time. I know its not a rolex or GS to be handed down from father to son, but still, a lot of these watches hold significant memory.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

View attachment 15501924

View attachment 15501926

Scale models aside, I had a beautiful raysman, middle sea race. White bezel rotted away after 4 years. Went to Casio to get a replacement, they gave me a black one. Rotted away after 4 years again. Very very annoying, as my mum bought me that watch during a tough period, and I wanted it nice and good to keep as memory. Very very annoyed. That was around 10-20 years ago, and was the last watch I owned before my current B1000. Plus all my tinkering with resin has more or less greatly turned me off from resin, as I do casting and printing with it. That's why I infinitely prefer metal bracelets to resin straps.

The straps aren't even the issue, when my raysman rotted away, it was just the bezel and not the strap both times, so obviously they're 2 different chemical compounds. In fact, I still have the original strap and replacement strap. NFI why they still persist in making transparent watches when it becomes such an ugly yellow after time. I know its not a rolex or GS to be handed down from father to son, but still, a lot of these watches hold significant memory.
That's very nice work! As to G-Shocks, I'm guessing my GWM5610 will be the start and finish of my collection. I wouldn't wear any watch working around the stuff you guys are talking about. That's why God gave us pockets.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
@CSG Nothing wrong with the GW-M5610. IMO, it's still the best bang-for-buck Square in terms of features-to-cost ratio, even with the recent price increase. If I wasn't a watch guy, and had to choose a G-Shock, it would be that or the GW-6900-1 (which is currently cheaper than GW-M5610).

With regards to resin rot, as others have said, it depends on exposure to UV light and solvents/acids (edit: And salts like sweat). Resin is still a polymer/plastic, so it will react to said chemicals. Just because it's a G-Shock, does not mean it is impervious to chemical damage. "Resin" is just Casio's fancy term for plastic/polymer. Don't expect it to last as long as stainless steel or titanium or gold.

Reactions: Dxnnis and Stowie

·
Registered
754 Posts
resin is Casio brilliant's idea of MAKING THE WATCH LOOK NEW AGAIN
did not know why somebody got scared for life

·
Registered
7,589 Posts

View attachment 15501924

View attachment 15501926

very nice work (y) the light weathering works a treat.

thats exactly my point, the raysman was one that was prone to rot. it was only a short run production too so all bezels wouldve been made the same time. you couldve gotten a bezel 10 years later, it wouldve still had that cancer cooked in.
im sure your resin knowledge is fare superior than mine but unless youve worked with casio's recipe youre really doing yourself a disservice by thinking all resin will die after 4 years.

my test was just an example of modern resin, if it was going to happen it would be under those sorts of prolonged conditions.

they make clear resin for the same reason anyone makes anything white or any other bright colour, it looks cool and its something different and if you dont like how things look when theyre dirty, try not to get them dirty or be prepared when they do. if you plan on a hand me down watch youd obviously choose something more suitable.

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
A G-shock can resist anything but chemical stuff.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Random Rob on youtube got some spray-on on his frogman (I think it was the GWF-1000?), and the DEET in it caused shiny flecks on it, didn't look good at all.

I'd also advise against wearing or placing your g-shock near any form of painting solvent. I paint scale models, and solvents will eat through the most unexpected things, from spectacles to rubber gloves, so you're right on that count.

I've tried using gasoline to strip paint, and it melted the plastic, so I'd assume it'd be bad for the resin.

Resin isn't the best or most stable compound there is. I used to do resin casting and printing, and its really finicky and toxic (While curing, cutting or sanding). It has its uses, and I suppose it gives g-shocks its shock resistance, but in between all the rotting bezels, I hope they're improved their formula. UV light does havoc on resin, causing it to degrade. I left some transparent resin to cure in UV lamp by accident overnight, and the next day it turned into a brown/black mush.

That's why I'm stressing out over buying the new LE frogman. Its a solar watch, but there's transparent resin bits, which doesn't inspire any confidence at all. You need the sun for it to live, but the sun will kill it at the same time, or at least, yellow it. Heard they changed to a new formula, which made their translucents much clearer and apparently resistant to UV, but its only been out a couple of years. I've been researching, but can't find any news on the topic.
The clear plastics on the Frogman BRT are definitely not the same compound as the clear bezels and straps.

I can’t speak for how they’ll hold up over time, but my experience has been that it’s the softer “jelly” clear and translucent s that discolour.

The clear elements on the Frogman are a much harder perhaps acrylic material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts