WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I own a few Gs and i love every one of them, they are my favorite watches. But recently i have had an urge to give Timex a go after reading some positive reviews and comments about various models.

I was after a Timex that was as rugged or nearly as rugged as a G with great wrist presence and after scouring the internet i came across the Timex Expedition T49928 and i am really impressed. Heres why...

First is the sheer size and how solid it feels. The dimensions were claiming the depth of the watch was 16mm and it wasnt joking, it does sit high off the wrist but is extremely comfortable. The strap holder has a hole cut out too for the strap to sit in which makes it feel real snug when biking, boarding etc.

Another thing i read on the various comments was the usability of Timex's modules and the functions and features they have and i must say the module is brilliant. Its great being able to set which modes you want when you scroll through the modes to disable ones you might not use. Simple but a great idea.

The T49928 features a digital compass, chronograph, 3 alarms, occasion mode which is an alarm you can set for birthdays and anniversaries and a hydration mode which, when out backpacking or camping, reminds you to keep hydrated at set intervals.

Also the legibility of the display is fine with it being negative and the indiglo light does its job no problem.

As you can tell i really rate this watch and as an alternative to a G its a great choice.

Thanks for reading and heres some images of it...

Have a good day

Barkerville :-!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey cal.45 thanks for the reply!

I know, i did look to see if there was a Timex forum for me to post it too but to no avail! Sorry if i offend anyone!!

I meant to write "edition" too! To me it just looks like what a G Shock would look like if Timex designed it!!

Thanks again for your input!

Barkerville :-!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What I dislike about those Timex digital watches are those skinny digit fonts.

Don't get me wrong, Timex is a solid watch. I have a couple of Timex analogs and I still like them...they've served their purpose.

Well, I guess they wouldn't be a called a Timex digital watch without that skinny digit font.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Congrats on that expedition. That is an awesome looking timex. I have mainly gshocks and a couple of timex's and that one has been in my sights for a long time. The only thing that keeps me from buying a new one is the negative display. I have searched for that model in positive but I dont think timex produces one.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
make it sometimes very hard to wear a Casio without to mourn about those.
Now that is something I really don't get - must be personal preference. I bought the Timex Expedition Vibration Alarm (also because of the good reviews of yourself and others on the forum) - I admit it's not bad - I wore it a couple of days, but at the moment it's just stored away somewhere and I'm back to the Gs. Yes, functionality is good but not really in any way better than on a Casio IMHO - with the exception of the customizable menues - that's nice but IMO not a "must-have" feature. And the Vibration Alarm model has some really strange bugs - why can I not completely mute a watch that has a vibration feature? Makes no sense to me.
Still - Timex does offer good bang for the buck - so have fun with it!

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Now that is something I really don't get - must be personal preference.
Well, I guess it is. Honestly I haven't worn any G for over two month now. Either I wear one of my Seiko fivers/H3 watches or a Timex - often both. My eyes and ears aren't what they used to be so larger digits (or analog faces) and much louder beeps/alarms is only one thing I consider better. I often work at nights outdoor and the ability to make full use of a digital watch in the darkness is just another.

And the Vibration Alarm model has some really strange bugs - why can I not completely mute a watch that has a vibration feature? Makes no sense to me.
That is not a bug but rather the lack of a logic feature intended by Timex. But I agree, it doesn't make sense. I simply removed the alarm spring on my Timex vibe model - problem solved. Sure this is not an ideal solution, but compared to some massive mods I had to do on a couple of my G's to make them even functional or likeable for me, still next to nothing.

cheers

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
doesn't it look like a casio pathfinder or protrek or something ???

·
Registered
407 Posts
Let me know how long that Indiglo lasts. They have a bad habit of dying early...not like a "G"

·
Registered
246 Posts
Doing my research and found this thread. Thanks for posting your feedback on it, just confirms some of the video reviews I've watched on YT- one of which claimed that they felt the compass feature worked better on this than the G's...

·
Premium Member
3,317 Posts
No offence intended to G-Shock owners but I've never had a G-Shock. Good they may be, but the cluttered face on many of the models put me off, just a personal thing.

Like the OP, I bought a Timex and I'm immensely happy with it - It's a tough as old boots, two years of pretty hard use in harsh environments and still looks the same as it did when it came out of the box.

I work in some remote locations and actually need to use the compass a lot, and I can verify that it's pretty accurate.
Never having owned a G, I cannot compare them.

I decided I needed a G for work and some of my pastimes, i.e. I needed a tough, shockproof, waterproof watch with a compass function.
I went to the mall to buy a G and came away with the Timex. It serves its intended purposes admirably for me.

So if anyone out there is considering a G-Shock alternative, Timex is the way to go.

Reactions: TobusRex

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
^You could have posted this in the digital watch forum.

Why would you go to a specific brand forum to recommend another brand?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
373 Posts
^You could have posted this in the digital watch forum.

Why would you go to a specific brand forum to recommend another brand?

Doesn't make any sense to me.
It looks very G-Shock like, it fills a similar niche as G-Shocks do, it is of interest mostly to G-Shock users. So, why not here? I was always of the assumption having something posted is a question of relevance not exclusivity.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It looks very G-Shock like, it fills a similar niche as G-Shocks do, it is of interest mostly to G-Shock users. So, why not here? I was always of the assumption having something posted is a question of relevance not exclusivity.
I see your point.

But do you see mine?

E.g., Would you visit the Omega forum -- not the public forum, mind you -- just to post

"Hey, all you Omega-lovers! Just wanted you to know that I went to the store to get an Omega and came away with a Tag-Heuer. Here's a pic!"

A bit of a head-scratcher, don't you think?

Maybe there's more than one way to look at it. I can see merit in both.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
No need to see this so strictly IMO. I guess about 80 to 90% of G-Shock fans also got one or two Timex' somewhere :-d. At least I know I do ;-). And my fellow mod Kronos has more than just a few :-d. Sometimes the forum refers to them in good humour as 'the dark side (of the force)' ;-).

Cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
After breaking 3 Timex, moved up to Casio. In my experience, No watch is as tough as a G-Shock, although ProTrek come close. Also have broken Citizen, Seiko, regular Casio and Memosail.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The only thing that prevent me from buying timex is the inflated price in my country... those ironman or expedition that you could get less than $30 to $50 there would cost about $125 to$150 here..
i bought my G9300 mudman for $165, so for about $15 more than timex , it would be no contest and no brainer for me..

if i could get timex the same price you can buy in USA, i might have half a dozen of them just to try them out...
next time i would have 3 timex coming my way, they are the generic one... still i'm gonna enjoy my 'timex' experience.

i personally wish that seiko and citizent would still have digital line that have the same concept as G-Shock so we could have more variant, but G-Shock is really rule the market and so established that no other company beside timex that crazy enough to compete with them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What I dislike about those Timex digital watches are those skinny digit fonts.

Don't get me wrong, Timex is a solid watch. I have a couple of Timex analogs and I still like them...they've served their purpose.

Well, I guess they wouldn't be a called a Timex digital watch without that skinny digit font.

Actually I much prefer the digital font on my Timex Expedition to my G-Shock. I like the larger display and find it easier to read. That being said I'm quite happy with my G-Shock, it's become my daily wearer due to it's accuracy (atomic) and comfort. BUT...I likely wouldn't have bought any more watches if the leather strap on my old Expedition didn't break when I went to the Philippines last winter. The thing keeps great time, set it to the atomic clock at work 2 or 3 years ago and it's still within 5 seconds!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts