WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd take some shots of that most pedestrian (in more ways than one) adventures - yesterday's mid afternoon coffee break:

One of the most depressing things about winter for me is how short the days are. I don't know how you Scandinavians do it! (There's an old Woody Allen joke along those lines: "....I was on with real Greenwich Village acts, y'know, myself and an eskimo vocalist, who sang "Night and Day" six months at a time...."

The subway system is great for getting up and downtown. But to go crosstown, in many cases, you take the crosstown buses that run on major streets. Here is one of them, which I passed on the way to coffee.

Checking the time as I head in to Starbucks. (I'm just pretentious enough that I would haunt a cooler, non-chain, local coffee joint instead of Starbucks -- particularly with their somewhat inflated prices. It just happens that there isn't much else in the immediate vicinity):

Some of the folks inside -- as I was waiting:

I actually took this shot accidentally -- holding the camera at my side. The gentleman on the left didn't appreciate being photographed. He felt, rightly in my view, that I should have asked for his permission. I did so after the fact and he said it was fine to post the picture here.

Parking is a contact sport in Manhattan:

I'll look to see if I can find one of my all time favorite NYC "no parking" signs which reads: "Don't Even THINK About Parking Here". I don't know if they still have those.

More to come, ladies and germs.....hopefully much more. I'm headed to the Public Theater tonight, so perhaps we'll get a bit of the East Village.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Nice stop, Kronos! :)|> This G-Travel is the best one I like so far!!

Very real. Daily grind. |>|>

Keep 'em coming! b-)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Cool pics, Don't Honk, 350$ fine??? What kind of sign is that!! I guess they expect you to just nail people on the crosswalk without warning when your driving through? Thats the craziest thing i've ever seen! Funny stuff, New York is one crazy place!:-!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Fascinating!! I love insights into other cities and cultures b-)

Cool pics, Don't Honk, 350$ fine??? What kind of sign is that!! I guess they expect you to just nail people on the crosswalk without warning when your driving through? Thats the craziest thing i've ever seen! Funny stuff, New York is one crazy place!:-!
That made me laugh too :-!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of things, lest you think we New Yorkers are even crazier than we actually are:

1. The corner in question is near a hospital.
2. They way these things are enforced, which is rare enough to begin with, only when people lean on the horn (for example in a gridlock situation, or when a cab has stopped right in front of you to let a passenger in or out). A gentle "toot" just to warn off a pedestrian is not going to incur the wrath of the police. And by the way, cars are supposed to YIELD to pedestrians in crosswalks -- not honk at them!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Great photos :-! Is your unhappy model going to look up WUS :think: Looking forward to more NY street signs b-)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If they implement this rule in India , Govt. will early billions every day :) :-d
i have seen reactions of few Americans who experience Indian traffic first time. :-d

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
NYC = greatest city in the world (at least in my opinion)! Nice pics. How about some subway shots?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts