WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get an AW, I think it would be replacing this G Shock (stock pic)...

gw-7900nv-2jf-b.jpg

What would you suggest for a case/strap that would look similar? I've read reviews on Amazon of a few different models and the majority seem to have some serious design flaws. But the Amazon crowd generally isn't a watch crowd, so I'm curious what the WUS folks think.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Your post may have no replies as it is very cryptic and hard to understand:

You are replacing a GW-7900? Why?
"Case/strap that looks similar" to what? The 7900 or the AW?
What "serious design flaws"? I have around 100 G-Shocks with no serious design flaws. Pls elaborate.
What WUS folks think about what?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
I think the OP means design flaws in cases designed for the AW.

Right now, the best option, which was from Lunatik, is gone -- because super-cheap copies have flooded the market.

I also haven't heard of one that's been updated for the Series 2, which is a tad bigger (enough that cases made for the Series 1 and first-gen "series 0" won't fit). Someone over at the MacRumors forums (I think) got an existing brand case for his Series 2, found it didn't fit, and the manufacturer took it back and refunded his cost, saying that they were going to have to create a new version.

I haven't looked -- but I know some are out there that don't totally suck. I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the OP means design flaws in cases designed for the AW.

Correct.

By "replacing the 7900", I mean that's my current after-work watch (nights, weekends). If I get an AW, I'll be using it instead of the G-Shock (which I really like).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bumping this thread in case anyone has seen anything. I can't find many [quality] choices, but I would think there's a market for people who are rough on their watches- I'll be wearing mine mountain biking. Most of the bands seem to be really cheap, based on the reviews.

^Supcase appears to be one of the better ones.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am surprised there are so few aftermarket rugged cases for the AW. The design of the Supcase case shown above is not well balanced - the exposed crown is too delicate compared with the rest of the case. The Lunatik case looks better, but being made in aluminum, it would scratch easily and won't look nice soon. The plastic version may take a beating better. Other options come with just the case shrouding the watch and using the OEM strap - again, unbalanced design IMO. But the one I kind of like is the Catalyst Waterproof case. It has a coherent design and looks quite playful. But it does not have the g-shock rugged style.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the Catalyst but there are so many negative reviews about it breaking that I couldn't wear it with confidence.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just bought an AW3, so I figured I'd bump this thread if anyone has seen any new straps that might fit the bill.

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
I just bought an AW3, so I figured I'd bump this thread if anyone has seen any new straps that might fit the bill.
I took at look at Spigen's site just now, and they list most of their cases as fitting the AW3. I'd try them first.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Check Rhinoband, Poet Spartan, Supcase, Catalyst for all in one solutions.

Spigen for some great cases

Nomad sports straps, adapters with non-apple bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I originally thought I needed a case/strap combo, but I think I may be able to do with something like a Spigen case, and I can shop for a strap. I guess I'm going to be wearing this watch a lot, so I'll be swapping the strap constantly (so I need a case that's easy to remove- without screws). I just started looking at them, but I'll check all the ones you guys mentioned. Thanks.

I bought this crappy band, and I knew it would be cheap because it only cost $11. But, man, it's really cheap. I doubt it will last a month.
71TV6AZ2CtL._SL1024_.jpg

·
Registered
23,793 Posts
I originally thought I needed a case/strap combo, but I think I may be able to do with something like a Spigen case, and I can shop for a strap. I guess I'm going to be wearing this watch a lot, so I'll be swapping the strap constantly (so I need a case that's easy to remove- without screws). I just started looking at them, but I'll check all the ones you guys mentioned. Thanks.

I bought this crappy band, and I knew it would be cheap because it only cost $11. But, man, it's really cheap. I doubt it will last a month.
I'm pretty sure the Spigen cases don't block the bands from sliding in and out. The Touch Armor ones have screw-styled nubs, but they don't screw together.

And yeah, that $11 band thing is almost insulting. What has happened is, the same factories that have churned out super-cheap accessories for all the smartphones and mp3 players have latched onto smartwatches as well. Not a lot of third-party goods that are premium quality (equal to, or better than, Apple's own straps and bracelets).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Lunatik turned me off because it's too much of a hassle to swap bands (which I'm doing a lot). This is the first watch I've owned that I'm wearing all the time, so the ease of swapping straps is important to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts