WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked a wonderful time to decide to get back into jogging. The rain is pouring down, the leaves are slippery and the days are only getting colder and shorter. Last year I did it and I loved it, going further around the park every day, but I have flat feet and messed up my paw, and never got proper running shoes to thwart this problem.

Anyway I was looking to get back into it, and I know if I buy a digital watch I am going to have to be more active to get my money worth. It will be used in the dark, the rain and maybe banging around the house, too. I like the idea of a solar watch because i'll never have to go buy a new battery for it.

For some reason G-shocks seem more like enthusiast watches compared to Timex Ironmans. The Ironman is like half the cost, but if I were to go for one it would be the heart rate monitor model and I heard they're inaccurate as hell when measuring heart rate and calories, anyways.
But Timex has a handsome backlight, has a model to control my ipod and has good durability reviews. It's a shame they don't make the models in the U.S.A.

So I was wondering, for somebody who's looking to beat around jogging, getting the watch wet, banging it around and being hard on it, what would be a basic and plain-looking G-shock for me? I don't want a huge one. Something with a good backlight and solar would be nice, too.

Are they worth it over the Ironman?
Also, is the Pathfinder worth considering for jogging or anything, or does it only have more hiking features?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I was at my local SAM's Club a few weeks ago and they had a digital heart rate monitor watch that doesn't need the chest strap. Selling for $20 down from $50. Not sure how good it is-- made by New Balance, which I know they make quality shoes. I almost got one, but passed. I didn't like the fact that I would've had to wear the watch a little tighter than I like in order to get an accurate reading. It seemed to have a lot of options/functions.
Other than a specialty watch for running, really just about anything will do. Should be no problems wearing any Casio no matter what end of the spectrum it is. With a Pathfinder you'll also have all the ABC functions that you won't get in any other G except the Riseman, which is missing the C part of the equation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use for jogging a digital heart rate monitor watch from Polar.

Without them IMHO most beginners (like me) are running with a to high heart rate.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
any of the 5600's would work great. locally, Target is blowing out both Timex and Casio. they're selling the base model 5600 for $35.

i do like the the Timex Ironman Sleek line. had one as a gym watch for a while because it was almost unnoticeable on the wrist, very comfortable, had larger display and more intuitive interface.....

.....but it was super fragile. scratched very easy and buttons wore out in about a year.

·
Registered
721 Posts
For jogging, I'd skip getting any G-Shock without the Auto EL...it's kind of a deal breaker if you have to awkwardly reach for the "light" button.
But for the camo mudman I used to own, this one had the Auto EL...you simply move your wrist on the upswing just a tad higher and watchface up rather than to the side. At least, this method doesn't mess up your pace...your body mechanics.

So any G will take on all those environmental factors you just said...but I suggest for the sake of natural movement, you get a model with Auto EL.

Why don't you use another brand HRM??? I do(old Sigma PC-15). Even when you know your perceived exertion...it's still an adequate watch for those environmental factors you just said...just not in the occasional jump in the pool, lake, or beach triathlon training kind of watch though. But for your needs...you don't have to read in the dark for time, HR or calories burned...get a model that has audible alerts especially for the HR and an alarm for starting cooldown. And then you'll know your running is giving you the most benefits or not...so you can adjust your pacing on the next run.

Suggestion: If I can go back and buy another one, I'd get a basic Polar HRM...especially the pre-FS1 basic models because those suckers beep loud...No vehicle traffic noise can wash out those beeps. But I don't know how loud present Polar models are...other than I still believe that they're numero uno in the HRM market.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm a little confuse by the OP's requirements in the watch, but for a plain running watch, I've always preferred the (nonG) DW290. Otherwise, I think any G would be appropriate.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
For running I have always liked Timex and Nike. They are designed well for runners with lots of features runners dig. Also, they are usually super light and Timex's are pretty darn tough.

If you want a real quality HRM for a decent price, check out the Suunto T1 or T3. I use a T3 for cycling and its awesome.

·
Registered
505 Posts
At the moment I find myself switching between the GW6900 and PRW1300 Protrek for running.

The big light button on the 6900 is excellent for checking timing and will take the abuse ok.
The Protrek has been getting more use lately for a couple of reasons
1: the display is very large and much easier to read than a G or Ironman.
2: it displays current time in stopwatch mode so I can see right away when to turn for home for dinner!

Ive only had a couple of Ironman watches and havent been impressed with the build quality. Sure theyre cheap but cheap crap is still crap.

By the way - do you use an ipod touch or iphone? Theres an app called Couch to 5k that i used earlier this year to get back into running. Its excellent

·
Registered
881 Posts
In general I would say Ironman because the displays/digits are much larger, they are smaller/lighter than G-Shocks (better for low visibility and low light). Plus my alarm was much better and louder on the Timex than Casio, which is a bit annoying :roll:! Don't expect Casio quality though, expect Chinese build quality (plastic buttons, cheaper case, lower quality strap) but for some people like me the quality is good enough, especially if your main use is just jogging.

I bought a Casio G-Shock as my one watch digital but the Timex I had had a much bigger display, much louder alarm etc. so maybe I will buy another one again and have 2. The Casio is miles miles ahead in terms of quality but features/design wise the Timex has a lot going for it as well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts