WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I introcuded myself on the forum just before the major meltdown and asked if anybody had one of these...and what were your impressions. The forum went down before I could get to see any responses. I think the g-shock forum was first to go...it wouldn't let me in.

Anyway, I bought mine last July and wore it quite a bit in the summer. I put it in the window every night and strapped it on when I felt like it. I never seen the power indicator come off of full charge even after long use. My Sinn U2 has been attached to my arm for some time now and I just picked up the g a couple of days ago and am impressed all over again. I find the digital display hard to read a certain angles and light conditions. (you can see from some of the pics) Anybody feel the same way?

I hear that there is a problem with the battery in this type of watch...can anybody shed some light on this?

anyway, as promised here are some quick and dirty wrist pics. I don't believe I have seen any here before but I could be mistaken.

cheers,
Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like it alot. the negative display is wild. i have a few waveceptor models in my collection very nice feature. as far as battery problems the only model i have heard about was the Gw300.. or was it gw500?? :-S either way, i am sure by now the bug has been fixed. ya know, the watch does look kinda small on your arm.. maybe a Raysman of Frogman would be a nice compliment??!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi Tim.. Great watch, i think the Gold Version was the latest release from the series... I dont remember if it was in the FIRE 05 Package... Very nice

And no there is no problem with the battery if you know how to use a tough solar watch

wear in good health and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Looks like a very nice watch, I like the negative display but it seems the contrast is much sharper in pictures [because of the flash] than in person. The Wave Ceptor and Tough Solar are great together -- the only thing that bothers me about the watch is the lack of a countdown timer. I have the GW-500A, and it has the same battery [CTL1616] as the MTG 950; the level hasn't dropped from High, and it only gets any sunlight when I walk to classes or leave to eat.

Attachments

·
Registered
670 Posts
hi!

wonderfull watch you have...love this red-gold tone and the negative display. :-!

i have since 2003 a MTG-900 and had no problems with it...one of the best solar
G's!

regards

angelo

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Absolutely stunning watch, Tim. And this is coming from a "no gold on watches" person. Almost dressy, reminds me a little of Rado. I disliked the the same form on my 930, but the "Brass and Black" deserves cult status.

Want. want, want O|

Kevin

ps gooood to see the forum back up. Fingers crossed for Ernie and ourselves that the HD-restoration works out.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied. Great info. You know, the more I wear it, the more I like it. It's funny, I get almost as many ooohs and aaaahs from friends and strangers with this one as I do with my Sinn U2. And it looks really great with brown carhartt bib overalls and a black prairie sweater!!

Devori, I was looking at a Triple Crown on eprey....whaddya think..???

I'll try to post a few more pics of the 950 when I get a chance.

take care,
Tim

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi tIM,

Funny you were reading our forum, when I read your post in the Cafe when WUS crashed. Man, those were great weird pictures, ha ha. Cool beard and hair :-! I'm too young to know Led Zeppelin I think.

I think you have a nice G-Shock. I have never heard compliains about the MTG-950. In the beginning there were problems with the GW-300 and the G-5600 (only released in JP). What do you think of this MTG960?

The negative displays are indeed harder to watch, but I have many and I have learned to live with that.

By the way, I think you gonna like a Triple Crown model. They have a BIG and sturdy look and are Tough Solar. I have the green version. Watch out for fake Frogman on eBay, but I have never seen fake GW-200's.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Sjors, yeah, I like that 960, never seen that one but then again, I was being pulled in other directions for a while and haven't checked out the g-shock scene. I haven't seen that one on the bay or anywhere.

Yup, the negative is a bit harder to see, but I got used to it too. I'm going to do some hard thinking about a Triple Crown..man, that just looks tooo coool!!

The South Porcupine Winter carnival is upon us and I just might take the 950 with me to the bar tonight!! It's pretty cool. I worked underground as a gold miner for 18 years. A lot of my miner buddies ended up moving to follow the mine jobs. They all come back for the S.P. Winter carnival so it should be a blast!!! There should be several really good bar brawls. :-D .... and great fireworks over the lake on Sunday. People end up talking about the carnival days for months on end.

cheers,
Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am all for the frogman at the moment.. last two months it was the Raysman... and i ended up with six in my personal collection.. this month it is Frogs... i now have five... four of them very rare models..if you are exposed to the elements alot... and it looks like you are... Froggie is the way to go.. plus.. you dont look like a small guy LOL so the frog will fill your wrist nice..Just be wary of Ebay.. email the seller... call the seller... make sure you take the time to educate yourself on what you are bidding on!!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,555 Posts
Hi Tim,

I first must confes the 960 version I pictures is actually a trick picture of a blue version. I don't like blue finish on G-Shock's so on the old forum I had made this model as a joke, though it should be a great model (and there is a chance it just excists or is being designed, but I'm not aware).

It sounds very cool (besided the temperature off course). I believe people in the Northern part of the world know how to party, so a pitty I can't join you. On the other hand, I don't know if I survive the extreme cold out there (didn't you say it was -18ºC mid day, well that's the temperature in my freezer!).

Have a great time, we will read it sunday or monday:-D,

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

This thread may be 7 years and 5 months old but I would like to add that I still have this G-Shock MTG-950BD J ST model. I bought mine from Sears Canada on February 6, 2006, and I have been using this watch ever since as an everyday watch and for sports/swimming watch. I must say this is the toughest watch I have owned. It had its many shares of falls/shocks, battery drains, under sea submersions, sea water damage :-(. Some parts of outside paint layer on the black paint coated stainless steel wrist chain strap are peeling off, including the main body's G button, some cracks/gap widening between the stainless steel back cover and the plastic outer body, but the watch is still functioning. The time goes a little faster than normal time so that after a few months it's a couple of minutes ahead. The WaveCeptor has not been syncing for some time. I don't know if it's the angle to which it's facing, time of day, weather, line of sight that causing it not to sync. It's not a big deal. I can manually correct the time. There were a few occasions where the battery got fully drained of charge. That's because I accidentally activated the backlight to auto when watch is tilted. But the watch would come on after a couple of hours of exposure to light. I would just say I am extremely happy with watch. It is a good and tough quality watch by Casio. Thank you Casio for making a very tough high quality watch. I would like it to last for many years to come or last a life time (so I don't have to watch another everyday watch |> ) :-d.
G-Shock-Jul28-2013.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts