WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-Shock wisdom

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Drunken_Munki 
#1 · (Edited)
There was a recent thread about annual budget for watches and things escalated pretty quickly into more common watch-collecting axioms. It occurred to me that such acquired wisdom about Gs or watches in general should not be buried. What are your fine pieces of knowledge you acquired through your G-journey?

There could be repetitions or contradictions, no harm in discussing them. I'm sure there were already threads like this, but people and watches change and the whole point is to mark our progress. Lets start with the two gentlemen who gave the inspiration then add your own.

Soulbridgemedia:

1. you really start to like what you like, even if you have a pretty broad taste, there's styles that you gravitate towards

2. it becomes a lot harder to justify a purchase or for a model to earn a seat at your collection table.

Lee-K:
1. Negative displays really do suck
2. The ginormous Mudmaster, Gulfmaster, and Frogman series watches are too big (for me!)
3. Pro-Treks are just as tough as a G-Shock and are often overlooked and undervalued
4. The 5000/5600 series of square G-Shocks are very versatile watches. I never liked the form factor until I actually owned one (GW-M5610)
5. Atomic and solar are two desirable features that make a G-Shock a delightfully effortless watch to own. My automatics are always dead and on the wrong date when I'm in a hurry to get out of the house. My Gs never let me down
6. Resisting the desire to have multiple bright colorful Gs is a good idea. You think they would be fun to wear but in reality they tend to sit in the watch box, gathering dust
7. Snobbery exists at all levels of watch collecting, and it's best to ultimately decide what works for you and you only

Miklos86:
1. Watch size is just a ballpark indication, the design of the watch (flaps, wings, protrusions, lugs, crown, etc.) makes a huge difference. Moreover, different manufacturers tend to measure their watches different ways - bezel, case, with or without crown, lug-to-lug...
2. Never ever buy a watch without trying it on first even if it looks fine on pictures.
3. Budget may be tight, but if you "settle", sooner or later you'll also get the one you wanted in the first place. So on the long run it may turn out cheaper to buy more expensive.
4. All watches have souls, although you may not be the one they speak to.
5. Readability should be high priority. You'll use the watch in less than optimal conditions and it should tell the time then as well.
6. Shock-, scratch-, and other resistance may be totally superfluous 99.9% of the time, but in the remaining 0.1% you'll be glad it was there to save your bottom. It only has to drop once.
7. When buying, always consider the intended use but don't overthink it. If you like the watch, you'll make wrist-time for it and even if it's not perfect for the job, you'll be still happy to have it on your wrist.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument

I learnt only one thing, but I am really disappointed by it.

Never buy matte coloured G-Shock.

I had a red 7900, a grey-whitish 6900 and I am wearing NOW a green 5600 (all matte) and they show heavy signs of wear becoming black or white in the points with major contact to sleeves (sleeves!!!!) or desk.

On 7900 and 6900 I already bought black resins, the green one is still on original bezel. I used it 10 times, and the when I used for TWO full days (camping + swimming pool, not nuclear war) I got white signs on bezel edges...WTF!

So, I love coloured G, but from now onwards only black or maybe glossy ones, they should resist better (I have only one glossy, DW-6930 I don't use so often, so I am not sure about this last sentence)

Metal Fashion accessory

#9 ·
I’ve learned to stop fighting my G Shock/ digital addiction. I’ve had a phases in which I tried to move away for G’s and into more traditional quartz and mechanical three handers.... It never lasts. I like resin and digital displays, I can’t help it.

Ive also learned through all the flipping I’ve done, that if its not a 100% keeper, buy used or on sale. I’ve made money on used watches. Flipping a new watch is always a loss.

#14 ·
Great Thread, these observations apply to other hobbies and collections. If I could humbly add my own and bump the thread to encourage others to share their thoughts and insights.

* No matter how rich the collection at home the one you are wearing out that day stands on its own.
* Regarding a collection: Enjoy The Journey - and by journey I mean sell off the lot and take a vacation with the cash.

#19 ·
I agree with most of your points they are great observations. But as for me and my individual opinion.

I hated square watches, they use to feel small on my wrist. It was the only watch I ever tried before buying it just didn't sit right. That was untill i got one that needed some TLC, and now i love my GW-M5600 my go to watch plus it opened the door and now i have a few squares.

I love my multi coloured G's i only own 3 black G's, and i very rarely wear them, except 1.The rest of my watches are all different colours. As for purchasing the majority of my small collection was brought by looking at a picture, if i like it and it's a good price i would buy it or go hunting for it.

Not a big fan of the new digital GPR's they are not for me and are quite ugly and just remind me of smart watches. But I do appreciate them when i see them or some one shows them. as it's what they like and makes them happy.

But that's all we do buy watches cheap or expensive or anything it's to satisfy our selves like eating a good Sunday lunch and sleeping for an hour after.

Plus in the year i have been collecting watches i have learned a lot more then i thought i would and regularly speak to some decent people

Downgraded myself to G-Shock Newbie again[emoji23]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.