WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why is it written on the back of my g9000 mudman "Made in China," while on the picture on amazon.com it is written "Made in Thailand"?

Should that be a cause for concern?

Thanks for any advice given.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
If your concern is real or fake
Then no, its a real one.
If you concern is QC/ethics or whatever about the 'China' moniker
Then its a matter of personal preference. Its been discussed before, some say yes some say no; its a contentious issue.
You'll have to decide for yourself or return it sighting it was 'not as advertised' etc.

Thats probably the best way to think about it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Casio does make some models in more than once location. Having owned models made in Thailand and China I can't detect any difference.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Casio does make some models in more than once location. Having owned models made in Thailand and China I can't detect any difference.

It's true, and this goes back to the 90's even. The DW-5300 was sometimes made in Korea and sometimes in Japan. No difference, except that some collectors are willing to pay more for the Made in Japan variant. For all practical purposes, they are the same watch made to the same demanding specifications.

·
Sinn Moderator
9,733 Posts
The question of "as advertised" is an issue; however, the made in China is not, IMHO. I have a couple G-Shocks in my collection that are made in China and I can tell no difference in the quality from the ones made in Japan or Thailand. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I spoke with amazon and they told me they'd exchange it for me as it wasn't as advertised. I've been doing some research on these forums and there seems to be some issues with Gshocks from Thailand fogging up. I don't want to take the time and energy to ship it back/wait for the new watch to arrive only to find that it now fogs up, and wishing that I'd just stuck with the original.

Furthermore, I've had this watch for about a month and a half, and I've noticed two things. The first is that I set it the day I got it and it's only fast by two seconds, which isn't bad. The second is that I've barely worn the watch, yet there appear to be a few scratch marks from where I guess I've (lightly) hit it against the wall. There are a few tiny marks where the black paint has rubbed away, exposing the white below. Not a big deal, but considering how everyone says they bang their mudmans up and years later they still look new, it bothers me a bit.

Anyway, if you were me, what would you all do? Ship it back to get a "Made in Thailand" g9000, or stick with this (as of now,) perfectly functioning "Made in China"?

PS: On the metal buckle, it says "Casio Japan."

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Stick with made in China. Send your watch back and ask for another one. Most of the G-Shocks are now made in China (at least 95% of them). You are going to have to deal with that. The good old days of when Casio made their watches in Japan is long gone. Everything is made in China nowadays whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Stick with made in China. Send your watch back and ask for another one. Most of the G-Shocks are now made in China (at least 95% of them). You are going to have to deal with that. The good old days of when Casio made their watches in Japan is long gone. Everything is made in China nowadays whether you like it or not.
The new #1 Casio Plant is now open in Thailand. They produce 700,000 G-Shocks monthly. You'll see a lot more 'Made in Thailand' soon

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'd keep it. The conditions you describe sound normal.
It is unlikely you would get a Thailand model, unless they have some old stock.
edit: Oh well check out the above post! You might get lucky
Also, those fogging issues seem to be an exception rather than the norm and *sometimes* only occur under specific local weather conditions.

All things considered it is a cheap watch, its a shame about paint wearing off- that is annoying.
But for the price ($50 -100) its gonna have some short-comings, it should last a long time assuming normal use.
A few scratches here and there.

If you are going to scrutinize the build quality too much, you may have to invest more money in more upmarket model or brand!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I had a Thai 9000 Mudman and it also fogged up. Absolutely nothing to worry about. The only Chinese-made Casios I've had were a couple of Edifices, which had Japanese Movements. I've had a look at several DW5600Es which were made in China and the contrast on the display is undoubtedly inferior to the Thai ones, so I have declined from buying them. Maybe one day, when things improve.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I've had Japan-made high end models fog up when my hand is next to the AC vent in the car while driving. No big deal. It goes away after a minute of so of being away from the cold.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Is the foundation for concern about the location of manufacture associated with real-world personal problems or just assumed problems one doesn't wish to inherit? I've heard about the fogging issue but to be honest my very nice camera which takes great pictures was made in Thailand, and its lens was made in China. I'm just interested in what drives peoples' concerns about manufacturer location.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have 3 Casio watches so far. My pro-trek has "made in japan" and the buckle also says "made in japan." It works perfect.

My 6900 has "made in china" on the case and the bracelet. Again, it works and looks perfect. Both of these watches are fantastic and have never caused me any trouble.

My other Casio, the 3500 aviator, has "made in japan" on the case back and "made in china" on the wrist band. Unfortunately, this watch's minute hand is off by exactly 1/6 a minute which stemmed directly from the manufacturer's error. I could have it fixed but then it would break the factory seal and it's not a big enough deal for me to have fixed. Note again, this watch was "made in Japan" as noted on the case back.

Therefore, in my experiences, just because a watch is "made in japan" doesn't make it perfect. Likewise just because a Casio is "made in china" or w/e doesn't make it inferior.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
The GW-S5600-1JF is initially made in Thailand but later in China, it's not a big deal to me, the only thing that makes me reluctant about buying that watch is the lack of SS case, what would the carbon fiber cover be for when you still have a resin case inside ?

I know Casio's target is to make the lightest possible watch but in this case I still want the SS case of the GW-5000-1JF.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I have G-Shocks made in Japan, Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, China and IMHO there is no difference in quality at all. Some collectors prefer the made in Japan models as the production runs tend to be lower numbers but for everyday users you won't notice any differences in quality.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
The same watch made in Japan will cost like 25% more because manpower, taxes, shipping... from Japan are generally much higher than most of other countries.

Reactions: vokotin

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The same watch made in Japan will cost like 25% more because manpower, taxes, shipping... from Japan are generally much higher than most of other countries.
This might be the case in some instances but I have a made in Japan GX56 and a made in Thailand GX56 and I paid exactly the same for both from the same source.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,586 Posts
Even the old DW-6600 were made in China 18 years ago. A lot of newer models are made there and they are all good quality. If you really only want a Japan made G-Shock, you should buy a Frogman or a MR-G. Some limited models are still made in Japan. If you like that, you are probably also be willing to pay about $200 or more for a simple DW-6900 model.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Banned
318 Posts
Talking about fog on the lens...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352677116.672694.jpg

This was taken earlier today.

I received this GW-3500BD-1AJF about a week ago.

A bit disappointing for a watch this expensive.

Not the end of the world, though.

Case back says "JAPAN Y" and metal strap says "China".

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had one made in Thailand G and one china G and two Japan Gs.

Absolutely no difference and if anything my made in china G-7900 has been the best of them all quality control wise.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts