WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I wonder which Casio G-Shock models will be manufactured at the new plant that just opened up in Thailand? Does anybody know? Will the production of the GWM5610-1 and the GX-56 be in the new Thailand plant?

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Since when did we agree that fogging is a defect ?
It's a defect ONLY if the facility where the watch is made doesn't have the proper climate control equipment to avoid moisture and humidity to get inside the watch during the manufacturing process. If the plant where the watch is manufactured "does" have the proper climate control facility and moisture and humidity still gets into the watch, then maybe the watch should be manufactured in a different country (like Japan) where there's no moisture and no humidity present during the manufacturing process and while the plant in that different country has the proper climate control equipment in their manufacturing facility.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I wonder which Casio G-Shock models will be manufactured at the new plant that just opened up in Thailand? Does anybody know? Will the production of the GWM5610-1 and the GX-56 be in the new Thailand plant?
I guess the Riseman will still be manufactured in Thailand.....as my Riseman is made there.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Im not sure I agree with this statement. The G-Shocks are one of those watches that can be cheaply manufactured and still do what they are advertised that will do. The production set up of manufacturing a G-Shock have various quality
control steps from the start to the end... yes there are $20 Casio watches that have a 10 years battery and for those kind of watches it may make sense to just be discarded 10 years later and those watches are 50 or 100 meters water resistant and regardless of their low price, they ARE water resistant. I have never ever had a Casio watch - new or old - that fogged up on me. But...a screw on case back full SS construction Seiko did that. I had the Seiko replaced with the different one (same model) and that one was fine.
Making 100`s of thousands of watches on a monthly bases, it is difficult to have no errors and therefore there will be some watches that will fall thru the crack.
Here is a quick math... The new Casio plant that opened this year in Thailand has a projected output of 700,000 watches per month. How much error do you think there can be in such a high volume production? 1% ? 0.5%?
1% out of 700,000 equals 7,000 defective watches !!!!
0.5% is 3,500 defective watches !!! At 3,500 defective watches out of 700,000 that means 1 defective watch out of every 200... That means 1 watch out of 200 will have some sort of a defect that slipped thru and landed on your wrist.
Unfortunately, I don`t have any info on what Casio considers to be an acceptable production error but as you can see, even 0.5% error will result in thousands of defective watches.
So which part of my statement you don't agree with? That Casio makes inexpensive watches in comparison to some manufactures selling watches for the price of a compact car?
Or that better quality control would raise the prices?

I'm not saying Casio makes bad watches. Just that they are disposable.

Sent from my VS840 4G

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Just four quick points:

1. Temperature is NOT important, what is important (and only that) is humidity.
  2. Fogging has everything to do with water tightness. If the watch was not water tight it would not fog up, since air humidity would be the same inside and outside the case.
  3. Humidity trapped inside the watch is not a "watch defect". It's a manufacturing problem that in theory will not impair the watch's functions or longevity.
  4. It would not be absurdly expensive for Casio to avoid this, since all that is needed is the watches to be assembled in a low-humidity environment (= air-conditioned room).
  5. If it bother's you, it's easy to fix.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
As I understand the fogging occurs during the change of temperature. The temperatures inside and outside the watch case differ, therefore the condensation occurs.

I agree that using low humidity environment would prevent that. Let's not forget, though, that Casio as a company goes after the biggest profits. Maybe producing few defective watches a day is more cost productive than having climate controlled factories?

Sent from my VS840 4G

·
Registered
463 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges... Casio doesn`t make luxury watches like Rolex. And yes, the high production volume always comes with the price... You are right, Casio and Rolex - both make watches - except one chooses to target a different market than the other. You can make $10,000 by selling 500 watches a month or by trying to sell just one. From this point of view I suppose you can say that some (cheaper) Casio model can be disposable since the price to replace the battery would cost more than 1/2 the price of a new watch.

So which part of my statement you don't agree with? That Casio makes inexpensive watches in comparison to some manufactures selling watches for the price of a compact car?
Or that better quality control would raise the prices?

I'm not saying Casio makes bad watches. Just that they are disposable.

Sent from my VS840 4G

·
Registered
645 Posts
Made in Japan is 1,000% times better than made in China or Thailand. I own made in Japan, made in China and made in Thailand Casio g-Shocks and Pro Trek watches. The made in Japan are the best. The made in Thailand are the 2nd best and the made in China are okay and acceptable. All manufacturing has gone to China nowadays to save money on labor and on materials. I've noticed that a lot of the non Japanese made Casio watches look cheaper and are made from cheaper materials than the ones that are made in Japan. The days of made in Japan are long gone. Consumers nowadays are forced to accept Japanese name brands made in China and in other 3rd world Asian and southeast Asian countries and call them high quality products. Yeah right lol.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Made in Japan is 1,000% times better than made in China or Thailand. I own made in Japan, made in China and made in Thailand Casio g-Shocks and Pro Trek watches. The made in Japan are the best. The made in Thailand are the 2nd best and the made in China are okay and acceptable. All manufacturing has gone to China nowadays to save money on labor and on materials. I've noticed that a lot of the non Japanese made Casio watches look cheaper and are made from cheaper materials than the ones that are made in Japan. The days of made in Japan are long gone. Consumers nowadays are forced to accept Japanese name brands made in China and in other 3rd world Asian and southeast Asian countries and call them high quality products. Yeah right lol.
I suspect there might be some level of misnomer there as well. Japan mostly makes higher end models because high price can bear high manufacturing cost. And high end models usually have better design, better materials etc that make you feel the overall quality is better. China and Thailand mostly manufacture low to mid end models because they wouldn’t be financially viable if manufactured in Japan.

In other words, if putting cost aside, for the same low end model with same materials used, made in Japan ones could also feel less premium. On the flip side, if high end models are made in China, they may also feel premium despite they might or might not be inferior in quality control.

So there’s difference in material, design etc, and there’s quality control difference. It’s all relative.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My GWG 1000 made in Japan
GW3500B Japan mov’t cased in Thailand
PRW 6600 Japan mov’t cased in Thailand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stick with made in China. Send your watch back and ask for another one. Most of the G-Shocks are now made in China (at least 95% of them). You are going to have to deal with that. The good old days of when Casio made their watches in Japan is long gone. Everything is made in China nowadays whether you like it or not.
I mean a lot of stuff is made in China sure, everything? I don't even have watchstraps from China, never mind watches and I am certainly not a super avoider of "Made in China." Pretty sure (I'd have to check) that I don't even have any clothing that's made there. Again, obviously a lot of stuff is made in China but a lot of it depends on where you shop.

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
Finally a good answer, after 9 years

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
They are made in both countries but the fact the ad is different from what you got is the concern! I want what I paid for not a substitute.

Oops this was back in 2012 i should off read the date! lol

·
Registered
20,132 Posts
If my memory doesn't fail me, the fogging issue also happened with Casio watches that were made in Thailand as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If my memory doesn't fail me, the fogging issue also happened with Casio watches that were made in Thailand as well.
I can confirm! I bought a G-Steel (Japan movement cased in Thailand) a short while ago that I forgot I left in the sun on the windowsill to charge up. It overheated and I got the dreaded blank screen(s). I panicked and ran it under cold water. The whole face fogged up from the inside but cleared up shortly after. The screens came back on and I haven't had any trouble since (although what I did to that poor watch can't have been good!)

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
bumping an 8yo thread just to spew this same old nonsense 🙄😂

nowadays as eric said, japan pretty much only makes premium models, bar the occasional low end model collab, so of course they will have the better materials but even before that, i still dont believe for a second you can tell where a watch was made just by looking at it (not counting models that are exclusively made in jp of course)

german, european, american etc name brands are made in china and other developing countries as well. dont blame the manufacturing countries, blame capitalism.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts