WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Mr. GSH (G-Shock Highfashion) did a disassembly of a GST-S300 few months back. It's the first time I saw it last night. Very interesting stuff, especially to find out that the watch can be opened from front and back, and uses 2 large o-rings for water resistance.

It may freak some people out, as in: OMG, water can get in from the front also! :-d But I say if it's done right, nothing to worry about. Not all GST models are this way, as mentioned by GSH in the video. The only thing is, if you have the watch for a long long time, you may need to change both o-rings. But the GST-S300 is a relatively new model, so you don't need to worry about that for a long while.

One benefit for opening from the front is that it's easier for those consider adding more lume to the watch face. ;-) I also wonder, are the higher end MTG and MRG models also designed this way with capability of opening it up from the front?

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Great and solid looking construction.

I did not understand what he has concluded regarding the upper ring material. First he said it looks like metal (3:15), but then he seemed to be able to flex it, or it may have just been a parallax.

It was my first time to see a Casio stepper mechanism completely removed. This watch seemed to have one only. It would be interesting to find out if Casio is using the same stepper motor across all models and for all other functions.

One thing I'm sure. No matter how much I say I liked the video, I would not want to buy this watch if he reassembles it. :)

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I do wish he'd use a little catch dish for all those tiny screws. I have spent a big chunk of my life searching for errant screws as they roll off my working surface LOL

Reactions: Steelerswit

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
That's why I work on a dark bath towel. Little things don't bounce and are shiny against it.
I do wish he'd use a little catch dish for all those tiny screws. I have spent a big chunk of my life searching for errant screws as they roll off my working surface LOL
Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I'm sure. No matter how much I say I liked the video, I would not want to buy this watch if he reassembles it. :)
I don't blame you. He's turning the screws way too fast, it's easy to strip the screw holes that way. He's also too careless about the parts, as mentioned by others above. A lot of youtubers are doing things just for the glory and rating of video, not necessary doing things the right way.

I did not understand what he has concluded regarding the upper ring material. First he said it looks like metal (3:15), but then he seemed to be able to flex it, or it may have just been a parallax.
I think the bezel ring for this particular model is resin, no metal can flex like that. But some other models of GST do use metal for the ring.

It was my first time to see a Casio stepper mechanism completely removed. This watch seemed to have one only. It would be interesting to find out if Casio is using the same stepper motor across all models and for all other functions.
This watch only has 1 dial, so only need 1 motor, I guess. Ones with multiple dials, may be need more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts