WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether i should get a g2310 with the shiny metallic ring or the g2300 with the plastic non shiny ring. any input would be appreciated.:thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had both at one point and sold the 2310. I feel the shiny ring and button take away from the rugged look of a G-shock. Can go wrong with either. Go with your gut.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Get Both!!!!!

Anyway

Both have the same module in it and both are completely rugged. It is only the ring that is different and also the 2300 has a yellowish coating on the paper behind the LCD to give a better visibility to the watch in less then perfect light.(There is a G2300B with a nylon strap and no coating)

I have both and I can say that both are great. I prefer my G2310 with the metal ring because it makes the watch look stylish and metal is stronger then Plastic(for this application, Sjors and all other Plasticologists(is this a word??) ) But My Brother has the G2300 with the plastic ring and yellow writing on it and has beaten the **** out of it and it still works perfect. When he comes up I will take a picture of it for you all.

If both are the same exact price then get the metal ringed version, but if the metal ringed one is more expensive, then get the plastic ringed one as one is no different then the other.

The G2300/G2310 is on the top of my list of if you only could have one G-Shock which one is it? as it is a great watch.

So it is up to you whether you are a metal or plastic ring person.

Cheers
Leon

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
I guess the final decision will be up to you, but I'd say go for both. I did :-d .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is it actually a "metal" ring? I got the impression from mine it was coated plastic???

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hello G-UY,
I have the 2310b. I'm sure this has the solid metal inner ring, which is a matte finnish. I also like this model as the EL button is plastic. I do remember reading here too, that the 2310 was plated chromed. I think some member took them apart.

You know the module is a good one, so it's only a question of what you think is pretty:) (as well as what you can live with to keep it on your wrist).

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Re: Get Both!!!!!

Anyway

Both have the same module in it and both are completely rugged. It is only the ring that is different and also the 2300 has a yellowish coating on the paper behind the LCD to give a better visibility to the watch in less then perfect light.(There is a G2300B with a nylon strap and no coating)

Cheers
Leon

hi leon,

i had the exactly opposite experience. in my opinion the yellowish coating minors the contrast of a LCD in an unnecessary way. thats why I sold my G-2300-9V again and it is also the reason why I changed my GW-810BD for a GW-810BXD.

@ GU-Y,

I don't like the shiny metal ring of the G-2310 - I hate all shiny metals on watches. I know there was a G-2310 model with a brushed metal ring but sadly, this one is not available anymore. to me the G-2300B-1V is the prettiest of the available models, very cheap to get and a perfect colour combination for my taste:

so my advice is clearly to go with this one. it is IMO the perfect watch for REAL though situations. i like it so much, that I even bought a second one which stays untouched in its box to date ;-)

the all-metal equivalent to this outstanding time-piece would be the GL-7000Rf which Free Diver just received a couple days ago:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=42119

unfortunately this one is also almost next to impossible to get - at least in europe and the north american continent.

regards, holger

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The metallic ring is indeed metal. I don't have it any more, but chose the 2310 - it looked more substantial, somehow. Ultimately, it's a matter of taste, and generally I don't like metal on a G.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree with Holger in that I think the subdued finish of the G2300-9V does take away from the contrast of the actual numbers with the background and even the rest of the watch... That said, I prefer the subdued look of the watch and have never had a difficult time reading it, relative to other digitals I've had. I second the opinion that it really is a style issue over any sort concerns about functionality.

--steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for your input. i also don't generally like the look of metal on a mostly plastic watch. but for some reason, the 2300 looks and feels alot cheaper to the touch than a 2310. well, i'll figure it out somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want To Trade G2300 Bands?

I recently purchased a new G2300-9V solely for the subdued color scheme, and have yet to even try it on. This watch will be worn while working around the property doing various landscaping and other outdoor projects.

The above 9V version of this watch comes with the resin band. I would greatly prefer to have the velcro band from the G2300B-1V. Anyone happen to be in the exact opposite situation, and willing to trade bands? If not, I would be willing to purchase at least the adapters that come on the B-1V version of this watch. For reference, the pic below is what I am in need of obtaining.

If I am unsuccessful in landing the original band & adapters, can anyone verify if any of the aftermarket adapters work with the G2300?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Does the yellowed LCD coating really improve low light visibility? That would seem counterintuitive, but I'm no optics expert. I've only seen these in the store.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts

Does the yellowed LCD coating really improve low light visibility? That would seem counterintuitive, but I'm no optics expert. I've only seen these in the store.
based on my experiences it doesn't like I stated already above. the yellowish tone darkens the LCD, so there is IMO really no chance of improving the contrast and therefore the legibility (which is not the best on the G-23xx series anyway).

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I've worn a few watches with nylon and neoprene straps. They were more comfortable than resin for sports and etc, but there were two things I hated about them....

1. They stay soggy for a while after being submerged
2. If you wear them when you sweat a lot... They can smell really bad and washing is a pain and not always successful when it comes to completely exorcizing (sp) the odor.

Just my $0.02
--Steve

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
hi steve,

on both issues I agree, the nylon/velcro strap is one of the best straps for comfortable wearing, but the "smell and wet" factor can be a little troublesome. however, I made good results with a wet strap just to "hit" the watch (the strap) on a towel and dry it this way. it usually then only takes a few minutes (back on the wrist) until the rest of the water evaporates.

about the smell: I tried a few cleaning procedures but in the end the easiest worked best. just put the watch along with your clothes in the washing machine - thats it. the only thing to care about is that you don't wash with a temperature higher than 60° celsius. after that, the watch looks and smells like new :)
besides, the spin-dry of the washer is of course a pretty good "G-test" for the watch :-d :-d :-d

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good Tips, Holger and thanks.

I like the idea of tossing the entire watch in the washer. It frankly never occurred to me. But it's a fun thought. If your lucky, it gets rid of the smell. You also get the savage amusement that comes with demonstrating to yourself just how darn tough these things are. I'd never try it with my auto/diver, but with my $70 G.....:think:

--steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts